IGNORED

England - New Zealand

'Orns

The first hour today was almost perfect for bowling and the Kiwis took full advantage of the conditions. Once the pitch dried out a tad England were already 4 down. That said Cook played a reckless shot to get caught.

In came Stokes and Root on a much less responsive pitch and put on over 150.

That's one of the anomalies of cricket that the pitch can play differently, assisted by the weather conditions, on different days even different periods of the same day. That's what lifts it above other sports in terms of replicating a battle and having a captain and troops who seek to utilise or predict favourable/unfavourable conditions. It's mighty important to win the toss and explains why our own WG Grace used to call 'the lady' when he was asked during the toss as if it was heads that was Queen Victoria and if it was tails that was Britannia, both of whom could be described as ladies.

That's one of the anomalies of cricket that the pitch can play differently, assisted by the weather conditions, on different days even different periods of the same day. That's what lifts it above other sports in terms of replicating a battle and having a captain and troops who seek to utilise or predict favourable/unfavourable conditions. It's mighty important to win the toss and explains why our own WG Grace used to call 'the lady' when he was asked during the toss as if it was heads that was Queen Victoria and if it was tails that was Britannia, both of whom could be described as ladies.

That's why it's the best sport in the world.

well at 30 for 4 it wasn't looking too good but only Cook (again) gave his wicket away, the other 3 were fantastic bowling,

KP can't come back at 4 with root in such form

Cook needs to go as captain and as a test batsman he is just not good enough at the moment

well at 30 for 4 it wasn't looking too good but only Cook (again) gave his wicket away, the other 3 were fantastic bowling,

KP can't come back at 4 with root in such form

Cook needs to go as captain and as a test batsman he is just not good enough at the moment

He's getting his game back.  Averaged over 50 in the West Indies and is looking much better.  Moving better and leaving better.

He's getting his game back.  Averaged over 50 in the West Indies and is looking much better.  Moving better and leaving better.

thats a windies side that the england set up (groves) labeled avarage,

he's come up against a bit of quility and failed...........again,

the sooner he's gone the better

Stay behind the line ffs!

Schoolboy error. As Beefy said on commentary there's no reason to no ball. Wood will hopefully learn from it.

Disappointing for him to be denied his first test wicket but he's only got himself to blame.

On Lyth and Bell, both got cracking balls that no one would want to face, Cook's dismisal was dissapointing but looked as if he was trying to take the aggressor approach which shouldn't be his game, he should have someone with him who can push the tempo. Otherwise great fight back from the middle order yesterday.

Not enough discipline from Broad/Anderson, not enough balls have either hit the stumps/drawn the batsmen in. Strange enough look what happened just now when Anderson started one on the stumps and swung it away, took the edge just a shame it didn't carry.

Simply, we are going to struggle this summer.  Really struggle.  We're actually bowling okay, but don't have enough threat.  The likelihood is that Boult and Southee will get about 20 overs at us tonight and that could mean curtains if conditions stay as they are.

The contribution of the top 4 batsman will be the difference in the match.  We're probably as strong between 5 and 8, if not a little stronger and the bowling is relatively even.  

England have to push Root up the order to 4 so that he can begin rebuilding from 2 down rather than 3 down as well as bringing in Hales to open and play from the start with some aggression. 

We have gone back to the bad old days, we are destined to be shit for at least another generation, with the odd win here and there but mainly humiliation i'm afraid, we just didn't build on the success of the early 2000's, which is typically English, just enjoy the present and **** the future.

Complete overreaction here. We are not a million miles away. Players out of form yes, but they are good players. Wish the English public would be a bit more supportive.

Complete overreaction here. We are not a million miles away. Players out of form yes, but they are good players. Wish the English public would be a bit more supportive.

You should see the Australian public when the AUS team is not performing.

Goodness me, Ponting basically needed a minder when he came back without the Ashes.

We'll see, i've seen and heard all of the bullshit before, consistency for an England team lasts maybe 5 years, consistency from an Australian team lasts a generation, that's the difference. The performances in West Indies summed England up for me struggling against a really poor side, England looked like they were on holiday, we'll talk about overreaction the next time England win an ashes series, if i'm still alive.

English public supportive?, the English public pay through the nose to watch their international teams all over the world and all they usually get is massive disappointment and huge bills.

We'll see, i've seen and heard all of the bullshit before, consistency for an England team lasts maybe 5 years, consistency from an Australian team lasts a generation, that's the difference. The performances in West Indies summed England up for me struggling against a really poor side, England looked like they were on holiday, we'll talk about overreaction the next time England win an ashes series, if i'm still alive.

English public supportive?, the English public pay through the nose to watch their international teams all over the world and all they usually get is massive disappointment and huge bills.

The a England cricket team have provided me a lifetime of taking the p*ss out of my dad though.

Aside from a short spell a few years back.

For that I'm always grateful.,,

Simply, we are going to struggle this summer.  Really struggle.  We're actually bowling okay, but don't have enough threat.  The likelihood is that Boult and Southee will get about 20 overs at us tonight and that could mean curtains if conditions stay as they are.

The contribution of the top 4 batsman will be the difference in the match.  We're probably as strong between 5 and 8, if not a little stronger and the bowling is relatively even.  

England have to push Root up the order to 4 so that he can begin rebuilding from 2 down rather than 3 down as well as bringing in Hales to open and play from the start with some aggression. 

You'd risk Root's form where he is? He's averaged 98 since he was dropped 11 tests or so ago, no way you risk disrupting him by moving him. Cook got a ton in the Windies, hopefully he can go on to get a big score tomorrow and start rediscovering form.

As much as England have played poorly at times in this test match, New Zealand have got really lucky with the bowling conditions I think. Southee and Boult have bowled well this morning and last night, but they way it's hooping around this morning, you do just feel that Anderson bowling now would be getting some joy

Archived