IGNORED

England - New Zealand

'Orns

Not to do England down but the Kiwis are very ordinary opposition.

Southee and Boult aside I'd agree bowling wise, Henry is just your hit the deck bowler by the looks, while good at it, not much when up there.

Batting wise they look alright, but England didn't challenge them enough first time round.

They aren't bad at all.

I just think they are ordinary mid tier. England - if they want to get anything against us - need to be smashing this lot.

If NZ are ordinary then what does that say for the state of Test cricket with them third in the rankings?

I think they have some quality batsmen. The bowlers aren't world class but they're fairly inexperienced too.

It's been a superb test match for long-suffering England fans who wanted above all to see England coming out of their shell and playing aggressively, whatever the result. Let's be honest, it's been a very entertaining test, one of the best I've seen for ages.

England have good players, its just consistency which lets them down.

The difference beween the Aussies and England is that the Aussies while obviously taking games seriously, enjoy playing their cricket and are allowed to play their own game and to their strengths while England seem to play to targets and what the statisicians want to see...

Something I hope Strauss and who he appoints head coach do away with.

The difference beween the Aussies and England is that the Aussies while obviously taking games seriously, enjoy playing their cricket and are allowed to play their own game and to their strengths while England seem to play to targets and what the statisicians want to see...

You are correct with this assessment IMO, but sadly the first sentence and the highlighted portion is something that has blighted English international sport for far too long, we find a winning formula and then just rest on our laurels and allow the old guard to carry on relying on past glories and the rest of the world moves on.

If NZ are ordinary then what does that say for the state of Test cricket with them third in the rankings?

I think they have some quality batsmen. The bowlers aren't world class but they're fairly inexperienced too.

It's been a superb test match for long-suffering England fans who wanted above all to see England coming out of their shell and playing aggressively, whatever the result. Let's be honest, it's been a very entertaining test, one of the best I've seen for ages.

I don't disagree, I think it's been very entertaining.

I was just making the point that for as long as I have been a kid, England fans tend to get some result against a run of the mill team at home, suddenly become world beaters then absolutely lose the plot when we beat them 4 or 5 nil in a series.

My dad is as guilty as anyone for this.

I don't disagree, I think it's been very entertaining.

I was just making the point that for as long as I have been a kid, England fans tend to get some result against a run of the mill team at home, suddenly become world beaters then absolutely lose the plot when we beat them 4 or 5 nil in a series.

My dad is as guilty as anyone for this.

Not just in cricket, in my experience...

I think NZ are a very good side now, I fully expected them to win this series 2-0 and they still might. Credit to England for batting brilliantly but I agree they'll need a lot more to bate your lot.

You'd be surprised at the level of discord historically there has been in Australian sides, you just don't see it.

A mate of mine played cricket for South Australia years ago and is good mates with Lehmann, Gillespie etc.

He told me stuff you never saw make the light of day.

Warne and Gilchrist had a massive dislike of each other.

Warne thought he was an upstart and Ponting's pet. Gilchrist on the other hand was a traditional guy, married his high school girlfriend and couldn't rate at all to Warne's off field behaviour. He also hated younger players like Lee and Tait asking Warne about field placings in tests when Gilchrist was captain....

Symonds etc. At one point Lee and Warne had his head under a shower at 9am trying to sober him up for a game in the Ashes series!! Then a huge bust up between Border, Ponting v the bowlers that morning getting on the bus to go and play!!!

All this sh&t but you watch the game and you wouldn't know.

It's just a mindset thing. Play the best players, play them as they should play and where they want to.

If Clarke wants to play at 5 don't put him at 3 because you need to.

England too often air all their laundry in public, play players where they think they should and then pump up them up to bring them down!

And fk me you're not playing the most talented player you have too....

You'd be surprised at the level of discord historically there has been in Australian sides, you just don't see it.

A mate of mine played cricket for South Australia years ago and is good mates with Lehmann, Gillespie etc.

He told me stuff you never saw make the light of day.

Warne and Gilchrist had a massive dislike of each other.

Warne thought he was an upstart and Ponting's pet. Gilchrist on the other hand was a traditional guy, married his high school girlfriend and couldn't rate at all to Warne's off field behaviour. He also hated younger players like Lee and Tait asking Warne about field placings in tests when Gilchrist was captain....

Symonds etc. At one point Lee and Warne had his head under a shower at 9am trying to sober him up for a game in the Ashes series!! Then a huge bust up between Border, Ponting v the bowlers that morning getting on the bus to go and play!!!

All this sh&t but you watch the game and you wouldn't know.

It's just a mindset thing. Play the best players, play them as they should play and where they want to.

If Clarke wants to play at 5 don't put him at 3 because you need to.

England too often air all their laundry in public, play players where they think they should and then pump up them up to bring them down!

And fk me you're not playing the most talented player you have too....

Agree with this. It's quite well known that Warne and Gilchrist weren't great mates but I never realised how much they hated one another. How many tests did they play together? How many of those did they win? They were obviously professional enough to get on with it without undermining the team.

Symonds was a legend. I remember when he missed a team meeting because he wanted to go fishing. What a hero.

Agree with this. It's quite well known that Warne and Gilchrist weren't great mates but I never realised how much they hated one another. How many tests did they play together? How many of those did they win? They were obviously professional enough to get on with it without undermining the team.

Symonds was a legend. I remember when he missed a team meeting because he wanted to go fishing. What a hero.

And evidently Pietersen (along with several others) ain't professional enough

And evidently Pietersen (along with several others) ain't professional enough

Has anyone else texted advice on how to get their captain out to the opposition though? If Pietersen was an opener it'd be interesting to see the extent of the clamour for his return. As it is he isn't and it doesn't seem like England are missing him in the middle order at the moment. Time will tell.

Has anyone else texted advice on how to get their captain out to the opposition though? If Pietersen was an opener it'd be interesting to see the extent of the clamour for his return. As it is he isn't and it doesn't seem like England are missing him in the middle order at the moment. Time will tell.

It does amuse me that amongst all the clamour to drop the likes of Cook and Bell for 'living on past glories', the answer given when they're asked who they want to replace them - 'KP'.

Symmonds did/does have a serious alcohol problem and that unfortunately cost him his career as an Australian test player.

You don't have to convince me, I have no interest in seeing him back in the England team. A flat track bully these days, who's being feted for the player he was 10 years ago

Well let's hope we don't leave the declaration too late this morning, something we have always done under Cook. Going to be tough to bowl them out without a quality spinner.

The Aussies may have differences and been self destructive but never against the TEAM.

KP caused probs but also seemed to work against the interest of the England team.

Never understood why everyone got so excited after one second division innings.

Well let's hope we don't leave the declaration too late this morning, something we have always done under Cook. Going to be tough to bowl them out without a quality spinner.

If I were captain I'd go all out for a lead of 350 which should be doable with a positive batting attitude within an hour and a half. Declare then, have a few overs at the Kiwis before lunch. Then two more sessions to bowl them out on a deteriorating 5th day wicket.

If I were captain I'd go all out for a lead of 350 which should be doable with a positive batting attitude within an hour and a half. Declare then, have a few overs at the Kiwis before lunch. Then two more sessions to bowl them out on a deteriorating 5th day wicket.

I think McCullum would fancy his chances of chasing down 350 in 60 or so overs, though if England are positive it should only take an hour or so to get there or get out trying. That should give them 10-12 overs before lunch. I think what'll happen though is that Cook will try and bat till at least lunch to make sure NZ can't win, though they'll do well to last that long

Archived