IGNORED

Andre Gray - 8 Million Pound Bid?

1960maaan

Think he played out wide as well as central but if we persist with 352/532 - whatever you want to call it - there's no place for Agard unless it's a striker.

Kodjia, Gray and Wilbs would arguably all be ahead of him if we did sign Gray.

We need a squad, and we need players to cover positions when and if we need to change formation.

He still has a future here at City for sure

I'm not wanting to argue with you chaps as that's not what this forum is for  :boxing: but there are probably plenty of players out there that you could get. Especially abroad. The problem is that there is a greater risk that they won't cut it. Paying 8M for a player who already plays in the Championship gives you more guarantee that he can cut it, hence the higher fee.

Wouldn't it be marvelous if the City board could send an Excel spreadsheet with the clubs financial plans in it that all us fans (nobody else) could all review and feel happier about spending this amount of money.  :read:

The operative word being "probably". I like to think we have identified potential targets, enquired as to their availability etc. over the summer rather than just sat twiddling our thumbs whilst other clubs do business!

You mention proven championship experience but then suggest going abroad? Not sure that reconciles.

Proven championship clubs don't want to sell their best players, and if they do, then they come at a price. We could (and have) look to foreign leagues, which represents more of a risk in search for value for money, but there's a lot to be said for taking the pick of proven talent rather than gambling on unknowns, providing it fits within the (unknown to supporters) transfer budget.

We need a squad, and we need players to cover positions when and if we need to change formation.

He still has a future here at City for sure

Not sure why people think Agard will be off, more likely Burns.

Agreed with both - not saying he would be off, but would expect his first team opportunities to be very limited should we sign Gray.

Wilbs is likely to be above him in the pecking order considering SC made him captain, which would put Agard 4th choice out of 5 strikers for at most, 2 spots.

How happy he is being an impact substitute I guess would determine how likely he is to stay for the foreseeable future.

As I said, can't see Wilbs being here next season, certainly not as a regular starter anyway.

Anyone else enjoying the moaning from fans of what I would call more established (don't beat me up for saying this) clubs like your Leeds, Ipswich and Sunderland's all flabbergasted on Twitter at us splashing the cash.

Loads of "WTF did Bristol City get 8 million from" and "What's going on with FFP if Bristol City can spend 8 million" or "Why would x want to go to Bristol City"

We are going to be in for a lot of jibes from away fans if we do end up splashing a lot of cash and still end up down the bottom of the league.

Not sure why people think Agard will be off, more likely Burns.

I think this type of striker needs pace at this level, I know he is just returning from injury but the difference in pace between Kodjia and Agard when he came on looked huge. Burns has pace and I think can play the wing back role.

Although we could pick up and coming players up for much less we simply haven't got the time, we need players here and now to slot in and play.

We have a small squad which suited us well last season as it was close knit and we made it work. On a Saturday I could see that we weren't up to speed with the Championship, not only physically quicker and having to mentally think faster but all the tricks and knowhow Brentford had, we were a little naive I think. We just don't have enough a Championship experience in the squad, and the quality we have was a no show then got sent off which then put pressure on the rest of them. Our game plan went out of the window naturally and with key players like Bryan out of it we were stretched. The bench was little or no use.

So we take the hit and buy quality rather than cheaper and wait for the player to develop. If it works out obviously it's fantastic, if not there will be resale value. People are forgetting this. Yes it's a gamble, but so is trying to survive in the Championship without the tools.

I echo the thoughts of those saying that if we have a bid accepted then he'll come.

I suspect we'll up his wages and let's not forget what his manager said as recently as Saturday...

"Andre was very good for us, a rising star, I'm very happy with him. Last week it looked like he was going to another club so that's why he said he didn't want to play.

"The clubs have not agreed with him so he is still our player. He was great, the price will be higher after today. He is quick, strong and can score goals. Of course we want to keep him.

Reading Brentford's forum; the consensus is why would he want to come here, its a massive downward step and we are just relegation fodder. I could understand it coming from the likes of Charlton, Fulham or Qpr, but *****ing Brentford! Even we're massive compared to them! Would be a very good signing, but I can see this going the way of gayle, aren't West ham supposed to be interested? If so we've got no chance.

Very impressed with the old codger on Saturday and even more so Gray. Would love to see us play them as a partnership. I don't believe in this myth that you need a little a large striker complimenting each other. Look at Bournemouth last night, Wilson and King aren't dissimilar in terms of play style and they caused liverpool problems all game.

It would require a slight tweak in our play style: our bloody goal kicks which I'm not happy about as it is. We have two excellent ball playing defenders in Williams and Ayling, why do we never use them??

If you start with that change and then have pack pinging into the channels and Freeman threading through balls into the pair we could be playing some ******* nice football

Reading Brentford's forum; the consensus is why would he want to come here, its a massive downward step and we are just relegation fodder. I could understand it coming from the likes of Charlton, Fulham or Qpr, but *****ing Brentford! Even we're massive compared to them! Would be a very good signing, but I can see this going the way of gayle, aren't West ham supposed to be interested? If so we've got no chance.

Not sure how they can say we are Relegation Fodder we were tearing them apart with ease whilst it was 11 v 11 on Saturday.

How does 1 seasons experience and 18 goals in the Championship give a value of 8million ?

Personally I think its desperate and a mental decision.

It doesn't and this is a crazy bid if true.

As has been said so many times, a CB to replace Derek and a decent CM are far more important. But yet every week we hear about another striker we are after. No links to any of the players we actually need.

Archived