IGNORED

Andre Gray - 8 Million Pound Bid?

1960maaan

And 2 in 2 in his second season. The lad is clearly an excellent player. He showed big glimpses of that on Saturday.

For every one cheap gamble that paid off there are tens that don't. Brentford got lucky. We could do the same but it's a much bigger gamble than buying proven quality.

Totally agree.

Us with Akinde for example.

Just a point fellas...it maybe the going rate for strikers in the Championship.

But....and it's a big but... Brentford paid a rumoured 300K for Gray at the beginning of last season.

His 'experience' of Championship football is only one season...so hardly 'proven'. Before that...He's played conference football and below only.

Brentford didn't fork out 8 million for an experienced striker...they saw his worth and potential and took a gamble...a cheap gamble that paid off.

8 million is an expensive gamble on a one season wonder...plus a young man who is trying to get over his gangland lifestyle.

I'd say it is a gamble out of desperation.

Why not gamble on someone like Omar Bogle at Grimsby as well....?

8 million is not going to guarantee goals.

I'd want someone called Omar Bogle, purely for that monicker!

We need to be doing what Celtic do and scout across Europe. Plus city have well over double the transfer budget as Celtic now. Or atleast hire decent scouts. This just looks to be panic buys and paying well over market value and this scares the living day lights out of me. Trying to establish some links with prem clubs to send their youngsters here on loan would be perfect. I think we have suffered a bit of a shock and underestimated the championship this year.

The club on its own can't Collis

But Steve Lansdown (if he so wishes) can ;)

Agreed,

Steve lansdown could afford to buy ronaldo, messy, squarez and Bale all at once, whilst 8m is a lot I doubt SL will be worrying about how he's going to pay the bills once it's done

On the alternAtive side, whose to say Gray won't be worth 15 million in a few years?

I would like us to sign Gray, him and Kodjia were impressive Saturday and granted it was only one game, but good signs anyway.

8 million is over priced, but blimey if we get him we have the starting blocks to having a quality championship side...

Gray, Bryan, flint, smith, ayling, fielding....a strong championship spine and who knows with Kodjia...add him to the list then in 2/3 years time we could be onto something very very good.

Maybe so...but I've probably not made my point clear.

We are being forced to pay 8 million because we are running out of time. Plus he wasn't our first choice target.

Brentford are also playing moneyball...which is buying players cheap then selling at their optimum value. If Brentford thought Gray would get 15million in the next couple season, they'd hang onto him. They offered Gray an improved extension to his contract....but 8million it seems is the most they value him....so they are willing to sell.

We are reportedly after a player with one season under his belt in the league....and paying 8million...it's mental we are in this position.

Brentford must be pissing themselves.

SL might have the money to splash...but it goes against everything this Club has been talking about the past couple of seasons.

Again...SL has the money....so he'll splash it....This looks like another David James signing.

When you look at Wilbs and Wade last year...and now this...it's polar opposites.

If it works out...great...but why even be looking at a player like this....when like Brentford....we could find and gamble on quality down the leagues.

Who said anything about me being itk? I'm going with my gut and the fact he has expressed a desire to leave.

Get your facts right before making accusations.

Aha, ITK denial. Not so many of these on the forum, but reckon you've been outed Londoner. Who're we signing next? PM me?

And 2 in 2 in his second season. The lad is clearly an excellent player. He showed big glimpses of that on Saturday.

For every one cheap gamble that paid off there are tens that don't. Brentford got lucky. We could do the same but it's a much bigger gamble than buying proven quality.

He's proven over one season fella... Plus Brentford didn't get lucky...they did their homework. He did hardly anything until November in the first season.

What they did, was keep faith in him. Something we as a Club seem to lack...

He's proven over one season fella... Plus Brentford didn't get lucky...they did their homework. He did hardly anything until November in the first season.

What they did, was keep faith in him. Something we as a Club seem to lack...

You don't score that many goals at this level by getting lucky. Did you see him on Saturday? Head and shoulders above the likes of Agard etc.

How many other examples of a 300k player going on to do that well at this level are there? The odds of us doing the same and replicating their feat of unearthing a gem are massively stacked against us.

Maybe so...but I've probably not made my point clear.

We are being forced to pay 8 million because we are running out of time. Plus he wasn't our first choice target.

Brentford are also playing moneyball...which is buying players cheap then selling at their optimum value. If Brentford thought Gray would get 15million in the next couple season, they'd hang onto him. They offered Gray an improved extension to his contract....but 8million it seems is the most they value him....so they are willing to sell.

We are reportedly after a player with one season under his belt in the league....and paying 8million...it's mental we are in this position.

Brentford must be pissing themselves.

SL might have the money to splash...but it goes against everything this Club has been talking about the past couple of seasons.

Again...SL has the money....so he'll splash it....This looks like another David James signing.

When you look at Wilbs and Wade last year...and now this...it's polar opposites.

If it works out...great...but why even be looking at a player like this....when like Brentford....we could find and gamble on quality down the leagues.

This is absolutely nothing like the David James situation.

SC on SSN now - asked about Gayle bid - any chance of resurrecting - Cotts thinks no and made a cryptic comment about what Gayle and his agent said (seems to have taken it a tad personally) and said those sort of things can prevent any chance of these deals resurrecting

Sounds like Gayle & agent were dismissive about us or Cotts himself

Cotts was very calm , controlled an thoughtful

My fear now is that this is EXACTLY like the David James situation

James was a player at the end of his career who wanted a job close to home. SL wanted a 'name'.

Don't think this is the same thing at all. SL wants premier league football for the club and is prepared to pay big transfer fees to get it, but not to ridiculously overpaid journeymen looking for a final big payday (not aimed at James)

And sorry - wasn't asked or wasn't shown, any question re Gray

Said we had hoped to 'pick one or two off' to strengthen, early , at end of last season but for 'whatever reason' it didn't happen, wasn't going to expand on the reasons , but we were looking to strengthen now, as we had planned to do then

Archived