IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

4 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Completely agree mate, make it 10x3 at least, or 12x2.

There's no actual reason why not- you see women in the UFC fighting 5x5 the same as the men.

I think 10x3 increases the chance of a knockout and would be more entertaining. As I said, tonight was very entertaining but each time the rounds were finished too soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Completely agree mate, make it 10x3 at least, or 12x2.

There's no actual reason why not- you see women in the UFC fighting 5x5 the same as the men.

Think we all know UFC is the sport where the best fighters fight the best fighters and has been for years,fury can **** about fighting bums all he wants but I’m into UFC now because they want to fight 

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Absolutely, tough too and looked like she was as capable of hurting Marshall as much as Marshall was her.

Agree about the 3 minute rounds, might have really changed things.

That was the biggest surprise tbh, she'd done nothing in previous fights to suggest she could exchange toe to toe with Marshall like that.

Her timing and speed were incredibe.

Edited by Stortz

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think we all know UFC is the sport where the best fighters fight the best fighters and has been for years,fury can **** about fighting bums all he wants but I’m into UFC now because they want to fight 

I hate this little arsehole haha

Edited by Stortz
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I can't see UFC having a monopoly on cage fighting forever though, I can't say it's a sport I follow but the bigger it gets the more it'll face the same problems boxing has. Enjoy it while you can I suppose.

Just now, Owl Visiting said:

I can't see UFC having a monopoly on cage fighting forever though, I can't say it's a sport I follow but the bigger it gets the more it'll face the same problems boxing has. Enjoy it while you can I suppose.

UFC cage fighting or MMA call it what you want and the youth love it because the best fight the best which is true,sadly for us miserable old bastards boxing is Dieing 

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

I can see why but she was the woman equivalent of wilder,swing all you want but if you ain’t landing heavy shots then you will get outboxed 

She's nothing like Wilder, she's actually a very decent boxer as well as a banger.

I have a sneaky feeling Helenius may beat Wilder tonight haha- I hope not though, because I reckon we'll see Joshua Wilder next year if not.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

UFC cage fighting or MMA call it what you want and the youth love it because the best fight the best which is true,sadly for us miserable old bastards boxing is Dieing 

The UFC is the promotion, MMA is the sport.

What you're saying is like calling all boxing WBC!

And boxing is not dying you miserable old get!

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I get that, I just don't enjoy it as a spectacle, prefer the sweet science of boxing. I do hate how we keep missing out on big fights for silly reasons though. The advantage UFC have is that the champions don't get to decide who they fight, it's much more structured. I wish the various organisations in boxing had more power to decide who fights who, there's mandatorys but it clearly doesn't work well enough as a system. 

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

I get that, I just don't enjoy it as a spectacle, prefer the sweet science of boxing. I do hate how we keep missing out on big fights for silly reasons though. The advantage UFC have is that the champions don't get to decide who they fight, it's much more structured. I wish the various organisations in boxing had more power to decide who fights who, there's mandatorys but it clearly doesn't work well enough as a system. 

That's exactly the difference mate isn't it- everyone considers the UFC as the pinnacle of MMA, but there are 5 major sanctioning bodies in boxing and they are all run by total ***** (I'm especially looking at you Sulaiman!).

You've set me off now @joe jordans teeth ?

It's also ridiculous that the champions often only fight twice a year. It's the only sport where it seems perfectly acceptable to basically be a part time athlete and not stay in shape all year round. They really shouldn't need 12 week camps. It should be a full time job as I remember Dominic Ingle saying when he was talking about Billy Joe Saunders straight after a fight.

31 minutes ago, Stortz said:

The UFC is the promotion, MMA is the sport.

What you're saying is like calling all boxing WBC!

And boxing is not dying you miserable old get!

I bleeding know that although cage fighting isn’t MMA but let’s gloss over that,where do you get the best fighting the best and it’s MMA,when has boxing had the best fighting in their prime,I would say hearns hagler which is is over 30 years ago

Edited by joe jordans teeth

15 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

You've set me off now @joe jordans teeth ?

It's also ridiculous that the champions often only fight twice a year. It's the only sport where it seems perfectly acceptable to basically be a part time athlete and not stay in shape all year round. They really shouldn't need 12 week camps. It should be a full time job as I remember Dominic Ingle saying when he was talking about Billy Joe Saunders straight after a fight.

Tbf if you are Canelo eating the meat why wouldn’t you fight 5 fights a year to get the benefits,likewise Fury with his 1 fight a year when he knows he got the advantage 

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly. Got the #1 pound for pound fighter acting as backup for next weeks main event for gods sake. Helps that Dana White has a monopoly on the sport though. 

Got to be careful saying that though as I was met with a meltdown last time MMA was mentioned in here

21 minutes ago, Stortz said:

So very predictable. Fury never wanted to fight Joshua, he was just trying to flog tickets to a fight absolutely nobody wants to see.

And at Spurs too haha. They'll struggle to sell 30k at the ground and 100k ppvs.

I’ve no doubt it will sell out at Spurs but i for one won’t be paying to watch it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stortz said:

So very predictable. Fury never wanted to fight Joshua, he was just trying to flog tickets to a fight absolutely nobody wants to see.

And at Spurs too haha. They'll struggle to sell 30k at the ground and 100k ppvs.

I think he did want to fight Joshua, and visa versa. I think though that Fury wanted to make negotiations as tricky as possible setting deadlines and making too many things public. Ultimately this was an attempt at a bit of a power play now that he is the "A side".

Obviously a fight of that magnitude would have plenty of things to thrash out commercially - and needs a much longer promotional run than about 8 weeks. 

Chisora 3 is a very boring fight, which is exacerbated by the Joshua negotiations breaking down. Ironically I think most people would've forgiven him having a bit of a tune up had he accepted an Usyk undisputed fight isn't realistic until about March next year at the earliest. It's now such an anti-climax after all the Joshua stuff.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he did want to fight Joshua, and visa versa. I think though that Fury wanted to make negotiations as tricky as possible setting deadlines and making too many things public. Ultimately this was an attempt at a bit of a power play now that he is the "A side".

Obviously a fight of that magnitude would have plenty of things to thrash out commercially - and needs a much longer promotional run than about 8 weeks. 

Chisora 3 is a very boring fight, which is exacerbated by the Joshua negotiations breaking down. Ironically I think most people would've forgiven him having a bit of a tune up had he accepted an Usyk undisputed fight isn't realistic until about March next year at the earliest. It's now such an anti-climax after all the Joshua stuff.

I think he will fight Usyk next year, win and then will call it a day as the undisputed heavyweight champ. I’m past caring about a fight with AJ, it’s not going to happen. A tune up fight probably makes sense Tbf. 

Edited by Rob k

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But his team knew that full well before Tyson even raised it didn't they? They certainly knew it before imposing same day deadlines on Joshua to sign unfinished contracts.

44 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I’ve no doubt it will sell out at Spurs but i for one won’t be paying to watch it. 

Hmm, not sure about that outdoors in December mate- especially against the ghost of a boxer he's easily beaten twice before.

Check social media's reaction this morning too- even the casuals aren't having a bar of it.