IGNORED

According to ITV West Country Cotts sacked by phone

Charliesboots

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I am not denying the leaked info coming out of every quarter makes it all look a mess.. no denying that.. i differ from you and many others on this thread in simply saying i would rather see all of the facts unequivocally laid bare before hanging the board out to dry.

And if that is not going to happen it is rather divisive to continue the discussion imo.

That is why i wrote my second point which kinda goes with the first which was more 'playing devils advocate'.

Fair enough. And I agree that it would be better if the facts could be laid bare. Not holding my breath though!

As for the Board, as I've said the Board members I've met are really decent people, just needing help at times. It's too often a bit "amateur night". I'm sure that they don't see it that way though, and I wouldn't expect anything to change any time soon.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

and when pray was the last time that ever happened?, we have never/ever been given what you describe by SL or anyone at the club, here's my prediction it won't be very long before the 'trust me' speech is dusted off and trotted out for the umpteenth time.

For the record I am actually pro SL but this what happened yet again is amateur hour.

I am not denying the leaked info coming out of every quarter makes it all look a mess.. no denying that.. i differ from you and many others on this thread in simply saying i would rather see all of the facts unequivocally laid bare before hanging the board out to dry.

And if that is not going to happen it is rather divisive to continue the discussion imo.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

As for the Board, as I've said the Board members I've met are really decent people, just needing help at times. It's too often a bit "amateur night". I'm sure that they don't see it that way though, and I wouldn't expect anything to change any time soon.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Too easily influenced by people who should have sod all to do with it.

If I was in their position yesterday, I would have asked @spudski to do it, with @Kid in the Riot right behind him. The only flaw with this I can see is that @spudski might have got side-tracked first into suggesting to Cotts that his 352 system was the problem, before he got round to saying what he was really there to say, and before you know it, Cotts would have had the salt n pepper pots and tumblers out, showing @spudski where he was wrong and @spudski  wouldn't let it lie, and assured Cotts that 352 won't work with these players at this level, and so on it would go, and six hours later, even @Kid in the Riot would've lost the will to live, and .... well, something like that ;)

1 hour ago, Dibdenred said:

I'm pretty sure Derek Mcinnis was sacked via telephone call too from memory. 

Very spineless. The decision was reached in board meeting yesterday lunchtime so why allow him to do a press conference the next day knowing that you were going to sack him via phone later that same day.

He hadn't just given us the best season in a generation!!

1 hour ago, Strawberry2157. said:

From feeling the total opposite...  The board have judged this all wrong!!

I'm glad I was one of the 370 he stood in front of in Burnley to a standing ovation singing there's only one Stevie Cotterill after a 4-0 beating, I hope that's how he remembers us, not the disgraceful way he's been treated. (Yeah, all hear say but I know who I believe when I'm told things.)

Not sure whether my post wasn't clear but you and I are signing from the same hymn sheet. I too clapped him at Burnley. 

He'll do better than us over the next few years is my prediction. 

I'm sick and tired of the club repeating the same old mistakes and the transfer fiascos should sit at the board's door. Aren't we supposed to be one of these modern clubs with a director of football - how come he's still in a job?

Personally, I think SL has invested millions but never rolled the dice.  He's ended up wasting his money standing still. 

I wouldn't be gutted if he got out. What's the worst that can happen? We start again fan-run or end up with the fun and games of foreign ownership..... 

Or shall we appoint another manager, with a long term plan that gets binned in 18 months ready for the next long term plan? 

People point towards financial security but I'd have rather had Southsmpton's, Palace's, Swansea's, Pompey's or even Coventry's last 15 years. They've all sailed close to the edge but have all been in the top division along the ride. 36 years and counting for us....

Sport isn't about financial security  it's about enjoyment, entertainment, winning and losing. 

50 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

If I was in their position yesterday, I would have asked @spudski to do it, with @Kid in the Riot right behind him. The only flaw with this I can see is that @spudski might have got side-tracked first into suggesting to Cotts that his 352 system was the problem, before he got round to saying what he was really there to say, and before you know it, Cotts would have had the salt n pepper pots and tumblers out, showing @spudski where he was wrong and @spudski  wouldn't let it lie, and assured Cotts that 352 won't work with these players at this level, and so on it would go, and six hours later, even @Kid in the Riot would've lost the will to live, and .... well, something like that ;)

That is hilariously amusing and I laughed out loud, but I think you have overlooked that @Kid in the Riot would've taken @Harry, who would have presented Cotts with a list of targets from Leagues One and Two, and they would have all got lost in a sea of statistics and percentages, and @spudski and @Kid in the Riot and @Harry would have forgotten what they'd set out to do in the first place, but then @Kid in the Riot would have called Cotts out for maybe being a homophobe, and that's the reason he would have been sacked.

2 hours ago, Strawberry2157. said:

I'm glad I was one of the 370 he stood in front of in Burnley to a standing ovation singing there's only one Stevie Cotterill after a 4-0 beating, I hope that's how he remembers us, not the disgraceful way he's been treated. (Yeah, all hear say but I know who I believe when I'm told things.)

Well I remember Burnley completely hammering us and taking the piss out of our formation and the space it presented them.

I and quite a few others ran down as far too the touch line as possible,quite simply to tell him how wrong he'd got it again and his use of subs was a laughiable, AGAIN.

i clapped the likes of Korey Smith and Aiden Flint, the team whom without any cohesion tried so hard under such dire tactics, to keep it to four,  not one clap was aimed at the arrogant bastard of a manager (ex).

Thats not to say I don't completely commend him for the previous season and a half, where he definitely has found his luck. Good luck to him, but manager like players come and go.

54 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Not sure whether my post wasn't clear but you and I are signing from the same hymn sheet. I too clapped him at Burnley. 

He'll do better than us over the next few years is my prediction. 

I'm sick and tired of the club repeating the same old mistakes and the transfer fiascos should sit at the board's door. Aren't we supposed to be one of these modern clubs with a director of football - how come he's still in a job?

Personally, I think SL has invested millions but never rolled the dice.  He's ended up wasting his money standing still. 

I wouldn't be gutted if he got out. What's the worst that can happen? We start again fan-run or end up with the fun and games of foreign ownership..... 

Or shall we appoint another manager, with a long term plan that gets binned in 18 months ready for the next long term plan? 

People point towards financial security but I'd have rather had Southsmpton's, Palace's, Swansea's, Pompey's or even Coventry's last 15 years. They've all sailed close to the edge but have all been in the top division along the ride. 36 years and counting for us....

Sport isn't about financial security  it's about enjoyment, entertainment, winning and losing. 

Exactly.. this was an opportunity to build. Now, we're back at square one.

With a great season to remember fondly but unfortunately a distant memory. More so the feeling of belonging, being involved & listened too.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

That is hilariously amusing and I laughed out loud, but I think you have overlooked that @Kid in the Riot would've taken @Harry, who would have presented Cotts with a list of targets from Leagues One and Two, and they would have all got lost in a sea of statistics and percentages, and @spudski and @Kid in the Riot and @Harry would have forgotten what they'd set out to do in the first place, but then @Kid in the Riot would have called Cotts out for maybe being a homophobe, and that's the reason he would have been sacked.

Of course, Harry would've been there (probably at the front, fronting up, shoulder to shoulder with @spudski, but @Kid in the Riot still right behind them). I missed a trick there. Cheers for that!

They probably all would've retired to el rincon, and become bosom-buddies, until one of them started banging on about SO'D.....:whistle:

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Of course, Harry would've been there (probably at the front, fronting up, shoulder to shoulder with @spudski, but @Kid in the Riot still right behind them). I missed a trick there.

They probably all would've retired to el rincon, although it does get a bit tight in there for Cotts and @spudski 

El Rincon hasn't got a door wide enough for SC's head to get through...lets be honest ;-)

And as for standing shoulder to shoulder with the lads...I'll leave that to them...I'm definitely more 'Prawn sandwich' these days.

I like watching from afar ;-)

At least we are finding humour in the situation...it's the only way...I'd cry otherwise ;-)

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

El Rincon hasn't got a door wide enough for SC's head to get through...lets be honest ;-)

And as for standing shoulder to shoulder with the lads...I'll leave that to them...I'm definitely more 'Prawn sandwich' these days.

At least we are finding humour in the situation...it's the only way...I'd cry otherwise ;-)

absolutely, spud. You got to have a laugh (well, it's my way of coping). No offence intended, I don't think you are(?)

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

The only reason it's divisive is because the corporation will never tell us the truth, so yet again it's down to them.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I want to be angry but I just cant be bothered.

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

That process is more plausible with a recent success on your CV, unlike some of the names being mentioned as a successor.

All I hope for is that whoever it is that there is a fight to stave off relegation this time around and not a belief that relegation might somehow be an acceptable by product to fully implement the next 2 year cunning plan, before the whole process starts again.

Your final sentence is very true, without humour it would indeed be even more depressing.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Hang on a minute... Steve Lansdown owns the club; it is not a cooperative. How they choose to communicate is their business. That is the first thing. 

Then they'll not mind the ridicule and disgust that comes from fans - that is our business. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wake up boys and girls!

Getting sacked by phone is a luxury compared to finding out you've been sacked via the local news, social media or by text. That's what happened to several football managers in recent times.

Get over it. 

That's it. Everything becomes acceptable if there is something worse elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Was 370 the away turn-out?  The number doing the ovation was no greater than 367 then:  me, my sister and my friend took the "f-this, let's get down to Manchester and get leathered" approach and shuffled out on the final whistle.

I saw someone mentioned that perhaps he was sacked by phone because a replacement has agreed to join. If true, and I know this is a bit of a conspiracy theory (apologies if someone's already asked this), but could it be possible that if the board have been looking elsewhere and have been in discussions with someone then they may have been reluctant to sanction Cotts's transfers as a new manager would want his own targets? Therefore by applying a wage cap whilst Cotts is here it's resulted in money not being spent by Cotts. 

or is this beyond the realms of possibility?

Archived