IGNORED

Section 82 19.04.16 (merged)

adamc6203

As an exile fan who rarely manages to get down The Gate, I rarely comment on such threads but I just can't let this slide

Did someone (who need not be named, but must carry their shame) really use the term 'banterous japery' in a non-ironic manner? Have we really sunk so low?

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just don't buy this "we didn't want to upset Dolman fans" argument.

Sorry, it's a new stadium and a new start. To make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Would we not have built Ashton Vale because the Dolman fans didn't want to move? They would have to have moved a couple of blocks down, hardly that much to ask. With migration to the West Stand now was the time to do it.

With a three-sided bowl and one separate stand there is an obvious solution. Get is right now and the die is cast for years. Instead we have home fans more thinly spread over 3.5 stands, segregation, and home fans moving for cup games, effectively destroying the singing section by forcing them to be distributed around the ground. All avoidable complications.

Just doesn't make sense to me how we've completey compromised the stadium design for the sake of a relatively small group of season ticket holders, most of whom would probably have understood anyway.

I agree - I think it would have been a better option. When the Dolman gets going it's great and having that group in there would have helped with that. The other issue with the Atyeo is that the sound doesn't travel well, it's probably got the worst acoustics of the entire ground.

Section 82 love the kudos of having their own name. Coupled with their obvious superiority complex and 'superfan' mentality is it any wonder no-one else wants to join them or get involved in their singing - which on the whole is a pretty weak affair..

10 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've said this before.  The entirely well-intentioned "Dolman, Dolman give us a song" actually has the reverse effect of that intended.

I completely agree with this. I am really fed up by being told when to stand up, sit down, sing etc by the "superfans" in the Atyeo. On a good day, when they're in one of their better moods, they do create a good atmosphere, but they should remember one key point. The club could survive without them, but couldn't survive without the 90% who sit in the other stands 

It's a pity the muppets in S42 couldn't have been a little bit more imaginative about this, 'See You Next Tuesday, See You Next Tuesday...', if that's what you think of Dolman fans.

As to the apologists for the muppets ('they're in the minority, you can't tar all S42 with this'), the same goes for the Dolman. Not all of us are book reading library goers with no sense of humour.

Personally, I find the whole S42 attitude mildly amusing. If S42 feel the need to follow each other round like lost puppies, they can fill their boots. If some muppets in S42 feel the need to lord it over the rest of us as 'super fans', carry on. I really don't give a toss what you think about us Dolman fans, it is water off a ducks back.

If S42 want to adopt a patronising attitude to other City fans, go ahead (yes the tar brush is out), it has to be remembered that ultimately, any goodwill that exists for S42 will evaporate. Your aims of attracting the right people to your cause will dry up and all your aims to bring a more colourful and loud environment to the City ground will be rejected/fail. You'll become a side show that the board can weed out easily as undesirables. If this doesn't 'bovver' you, carry on boys and girls, Dolman fans will still be here while you'll be a smudge in the history books.

The song towards the dolman stand last night and previous games ie dolman give us a song dolman bounce around is just trying to get the atmosphere going . Wat followed the song Last night was wrong and distasteful end of . I heard a few sing it a minority but still unacceptable . I am not a super fan me and my boy are Bristol city fans the same as the rest . We all support our club in different ways . Me personally will not be aiming any chants in future at the dolman as in the songs above . As for leaving early people have different circumstances . We could have a massive game against Huddersfield coming up and we all have to unite as one and get behind the team which ever way people do that . Let's put this behind us and move on CTID

The purpose of Section 82 is to unite fans into making an atmosphere. The displays and the singing this season have been class - fair play to all of you and I really do hope the flags are returned.

That said, chants like last nights do the complete opposite of what S82 are set out to do. It creates a lack of respect between fans, and more importantly wipes out any chance of an all round atmosphere. No matter what stand you sit in, surely none of us want that? As others have said, the 12th man can make all the difference at AG. 

I understand that a only a minority of S82 are to blame for what happened, but it must stop, and quickly. To brush it off as 'banter' is seriously damaging.

9 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

Did you go to school? He's answered your question quite clearly.

Banter

Banter: "short witty sentences that bounce back and forth between individuals. Often banter uses clever put-downs and witty insults, misunderstandings (often intentional), zippy wisecracks, zingers, flirtation, and puns. The idea is each line of banter should "top" the one before it and in short a verbal war of wit without any physical contact."

39 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

As an exile fan who rarely manages to get down The Gate, I rarely comment on such threads but I just can't let this slide

Did someone (who need not be named, but must carry their shame) really use the term 'banterous japery' in a non-ironic manner? Have we really sunk so low?

This is the real crime here. Call someone a**** by all means but this is just unacceptable.

1 hour ago, HLR said:

Seeing as "Section 82, Section 82, Ole Ole" was chanted on multiple occasions then I think it is quite clear why people are thinking it...

That's another chant I don't get, why were we having "ole ole forza  eastenders" chanted at west brom away? Apart from the fact the east end is gone, we had more away fans there than we had in the east end and it's another chant designed to create isolation from the rest of our support.

Just now, City169 said:

That's another chant I don't get, why were we having "ole ole forza  eastenders" chanted at west brom away? Apart from the fact the east end is gone, we had more away fans there than we had in the east end and it's another chant designed to create isolation from the rest of our support.

Or it's just a football song...think you are giving it too much thought ;)

"That's another chant I don't get, why were we having "ole ole forza eastenders" chanted at west brom away? Apart from the fact the east end is gone, we had more away fans there than we had in the east end and it's another chant designed to create isolation from the rest of our support."

"Designed to create isolation from the rest of our support". Its not Joy Division. Its a noise. A noise!

This thread has sunk to the level I thought it would...Football Chants...The Football version of Nursery Rhymes...Inane, simple and repetitive.

'You said this...you said that'... blah blah blah...Section 82 are already known as 'the Nursery' by some supporters....

Some have No thought...No respect for others...Stealing from their own...many displaying childish behaviour.

No doubt there are folk with a good heart and intention...folk who have tried to organise something to create an 'atmosphere'...And fair play to them. I have respect for them...but have none for the people who disrespect what they are trying to achieve...because like a lot of society today, they want things done and given to them, and then they take advantage of it, with no thought of others or of the consequences of their actions.

However...certain 'children' of the nursery, should be educated in the fact that many adults in other parts of the ground don't want to 'sing' or 'chant'...as we've grown up and don't feel the need to sing or chant what are nothing more than children's nursery rhymes...Inane, simple and repetitive.

Some prefer to sit or stand and watch the football and just chat to their mates.

Don't force what you want on others.

Someone implied earlier, that we used to have 'decent songs'... Witty banter and witty songs need some thought and intelligence...

"Someone implied earlier, that we used to have 'decent songs'... Witty banter and witty songs need some thought and intelligence... "

Seem long gone now. As a fan in the Dolman I am not offended by the supporters in the Atyeo informing me how I should support the club
, or that I am a Nicky Hunt (we all are occasionally).

Applaud some of the efforts, will put my hand in my pocket to make contributions, in turn I think it is fair that I inform them via this thread how boorish and cringey many songs sung are in the Atyeo. Stop the bad Palace covers band act, we are Bristol City FC and more will join in.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

many adults in other parts of the ground don't want to 'sing' or 'chant'...as we've grown up and don't feel the need to sing or chant what are nothing more than children's nursery rhymes...Inane, simple and repetitive.

Some prefer to sit or stand and watch the football and just chat to their mates.

spot on Spudski. 

We've had STs in the Atyeo this season…we're moving back to the Dolman…where I confess I'll enjoy the peace to follow the match in detail and a view which allows me to understand how it is that a side like Derby is as effective at stifling our efforts as they were last night. For me that's not consistent with jumping up and down shouting "red army" for 10 minutes at a time.

I've nothing against this who enjoy that…but I don't believe that they do it to encourage others to join in…almost nothing sung in the Atyeo is ever sung elsewhere in the ground…it seems to me to be sung for the enjoyment of the singers. Which is fine but not heroic.

When the Gate is rocking it's rocking with songs encouraging the players, not celebrating the fans, or subsets of them. There is a small hymn sheet that often begins and ends with "come on you reds"…which everyone can join in with and can be highly effective...

Despite being surrounded by the Atyeo singers at times this season I'm none the wiser as to why it's "Section 82"or how you'd join! It won't bother me in a few weeks time.

What an appalling thread.

Tired of reading it. Please could someone lock it or take it down.

It is not serving any worthwhile purpose and I tire of seeing City fans slagging each other off.

I'm an Atyeo season ticket holder and stand in front of the bulk of S.82. I have friends in all parts of the ground and a great many in the Dolman. None of them are cnuts.

Sometimes I don't feel like singing. Sometimes I do.

Fed up of this shit.

Archived