IGNORED

Play Offs (Merged)

Bs4Red

22 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't like either club: the skates versus the phlegm. Two grotty concrete jungles. Naval bases full of discharged seamen.

So, I'd like whoever to be beaten by the Real Dons or Accie: Wimbledon, because I lived there for 11 years, Accrington, because it would be funny to see them haunting the Gas in another division. Rovers might not get so lucky next season.

Better than discharged semen!  I hope for a Wimbledon victory against Accy though I would prefer both to go through.  My mate Mal (a true womble) tells me that our Osborne has been dumped and is likely to be given a contract by the (true) Dons.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Brighton are getting the sort of luck normally it feels like only we get. Got to feel for them.

Was just thinking that. I love the play offs, and they are here to stay, but tonight does show how they can be hard on a team finishing third and going for it to the line, over a team that can relax a bit lower down. Add to that their injuries tonight and it has been a tough gig for them. 

37 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

tbh I have mixed feelings about the play offs. Brighton finished a whole 15 points ahead of Sheffield Wednesday and to me it seems unfair that they need to play them to get to the final. Over the course of the season they are clearly the better team and so should be deserving of promotion or at least a bye to the final. 

Mind you from a selfish point of view in terms of potential games I can attend next season - come on you owls :chant6ez:

I quite like the system where 5th plays 6th, the winner plays 4th and the winner of that plays 3rd. All one-off games. It's fairer and provides a more tangible benefit to finishing further up the table.

Decent game to watch in the end. 2-0 is a big score to overcome in the second leg, only downside for SW I would think is a slight disappointment given the way the game has gone they have not killed the tie stone dead. Tough on Brighton the way it worked out over the last few weeks, but them is the rules I suppose.

3 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

Its not quite over. 1 quick goal at the Amex

Yup, they aren't 15 points better for nothing. I think Wednesday will think it's job done and there could be a shock yet.

52 minutes ago, yardy said:

I agree, i wouldn't want to see the flow of football changed at all but i just think it can be used on certain situations without creating any delays.

It works for rugby, cricket and other sports and can create an even better atmosphere/tension

Cricket and rugby are full of stoppages anyway ( cricket even has food breaks!!). stick your technology up your arsenal! I want the game to stay as it is.

1 hour ago, Reigate Red said:

tbh I have mixed feelings about the play offs. Brighton finished a whole 15 points ahead of Sheffield Wednesday and to me it seems unfair that they need to play them to get to the final. Over the course of the season they are clearly the better team and so should be deserving of promotion or at least a bye to the final. 

Mind you from a selfish point of view in terms of potential games I can attend next season - come on you owls :chant6ez:

..don't forget they beat us many years ago when we finished third. 88 points is a heck of an amount. Was it Pompey who finished with something like that in 93 and went out in the semis? Season Guy Whittingham got 42 goals iirc

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not having seen the game (and seeing there were 4 retirements), was it "over zealous" play by SW, or just "shit happening" ?

In fairness, pretty much the latter. Did not think any would be put down to being 'taken out' really. From memory most just seemed to go down after turning ankles or pulling muscles.

A few years back, Sheff Utd finished the season with 90 points and lost in the playoff final.

Its a harsh harsh game, but I have no sympathy for Brighton... They went up at our expense despite being far inferior to us over 46 games so **** em. Swings and roundabouts.

10 hours ago, cityexile said:

In fairness, pretty much the latter. Did not think any would be put down to being 'taken out' really. From memory most just seemed to go down after turning ankles or pulling muscles.

Yup, not down to heavy tackles etc, just strains etc. it seems all the bad injury luck just happened in the game where it mattered the most, and either the next game on Monday very little time to recover and patch up.

Paul Ince interview in DT this morning......."as players we don't want to play Saturday Tuesday every week....those 7.45 kick offs at places like Bristol City take its toll with long coach journeys.."

Premier League prima donna already despite a total of 3 prem appearances to date (for Hull)

Hopefully Hull will stuff them and then lose 1-0 at Wembley!......Karma

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Paul Ince interview in DT this morning......."as players we don't want to play Saturday Tuesday every week....those 7.45 kick offs at places like Bristol City take its toll with long coach journeys.."

Premier League prima donna already despite a total of 3 prem appearances to date (for Hull)

Lazy Frocker .

The precious little dear can't take a long coach journey , lucky for him he does n't play at Newcastle , Sunderland or Middlesborough .

Derby is not really too far from most places being in the centre of the country.

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Let's hope we got Derby at home on a Tuesday then !:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

19 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I quite like the system where 5th plays 6th, the winner plays 4th and the winner of that plays 3rd. All one-off games. It's fairer and provides a more tangible benefit to finishing further up the table.

Too true! That way if a team finishes 6th they have to win three away games to secure promotion whilst the team team finishing third only has to win one home game to go up. That way it's advantageous to finish as high as poss, not just anywhere in the top six.

I see Edinburgh City have beaten East Stirling 2-1 on aggregate. No yellow Breaking News tape on SSN, but does that mean there's a new team in the Scottish League?

OK, 5.20pm and it's confirmed; Edinburgh City are now a League team.

It's just occurred to me. Those poor East Stirling fans. They turned up to see their favourites today and what happened? They lost the final game of the season 1-0 at home and drop out of the League. Has any set of fans ever deserved such a blow? :whistle:

Archived