IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can someone who knows for sure how transfers work please put me out of my misery....no guesses or I think it works like this, I want to know for sure.

in the scenario that player x of club y is under contract and we approach to sign.  We agree a fee with club y but cannot agree wages, which are less than his current contracted wages.

Do we ask club y to contribute wages?  That sounds too one-sided in the buying club's favour.

Do they then ask for a larger fee?  

Do we try to cover off wages deficit with signing-on fee?

Player x hasn't requested a transfer, so is still entitled to any contractual bonuses, e.g. Annual lump sum.

Does everyone get round the table and try to thrash out something amenable to all parties?

I just don't know how it works.

As far as I can see, unless there are FA regs around this, the answer will be it depends. At its most basic a player signs for a fixed term and has a right to expect that remuneration; if the club without his request decides to transfer him and breach their agreement with him, they may have a liability to make good any deficit in wages. However, in the agreement there could be a provision which says the club does not have to. So it would come down to what was agreed between the club and player. 

8 hours ago, simon uk said:

i am really concerned that a 25k pw salary is just too much for bristol city, our levels of support just cant cover that.

In that case we won't really progress, if we want quality championship players then they come at a cost I'm afraid. 

30 minutes ago, NeilS said:

As much as I want Tomlin, I have a nagging doubt about the 25k a week, it true. It goes against the ethos of the new regime, and should the club go out on a limb for one player? Talking of ethos I buy into the team first, individuals second.

Tomlin brought the best out of other players even in his short time here. Whilst I'm all for the sensible wage structure, if a player of his calibre actually WANTS to play for Bristol City, then we should be doing what needs to be done to get him here. 

37 minutes ago, NeilS said:

As much as I want Tomlin, I have a nagging doubt about the 25k a week, it true. It goes against the ethos of the new regime, and should the club go out on a limb for one player? Talking of ethos I buy into the team first, individuals second.

So just covered his stag In vegas, wedding and honeymoon!!   

3 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-tempt-target-Lee-Tomlin-lucrative/story-29371102-detail/story.html

Well saves us the bother of having a bid accepted only for the player to turn us down I suppose. I assume Bournemouth have granted permission for talks?

Just saved me the bother . Also there's a link to Bournemouth vital football on Twitter with a similar story on it http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=449147

12 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-tempt-target-Lee-Tomlin-lucrative/story-29371102-detail/story.html

Well saves us the bother of having a bid accepted only for the player to turn us down I suppose. I assume Bournemouth have granted permission for talks?

This tactic of a large signing on fee to compensate for lower wages was suggested on the forum some time ago. Perhaps Lee Johnson and co. get their ideas from the forum or perhaps  just common sense 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This tactic of a large signing on fee to compensate for lower wages was suggested on the forum some time ago. Perhaps Lee Johnson and co. get their ideas from the forum or perhaps  just common sense 

I think it's a fairly logical way around the wage barrier. It'll give him some pocket money for the rest of the summer break anyway,

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

As far as I can see, unless there are FA regs around this, the answer will be it depends. At its most basic a player signs for a fixed term and has a right to expect that remuneration; if the club without his request decides to transfer him and breach their agreement with him, they may have a liability to make good any deficit in wages. However, in the agreement there could be a provision which says the club does not have to. So it would come down to what was agreed between the club and player. 

Yes it depends but I have never heard of a club contributing to a player's wages after he has been sold so is no longer in contract.  You couldn't do it direct to the player (they'd have to be contracted as a player to two football clubs at the same time, which you can't do)  so it would need to be to the club.

There would most likely be a one-off cash settlement to the player making up the difference between their current wages for the remainder of their contract and those that the buying club will be paying.

Or the player simply takes a pay cut in order to progress his career.

13 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just saved me the bother . Also there's a link to Bournemouth vital football on Twitter with a similar story on it http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=449147

Hull City, Newcastle United and Norwich City are all reportedly interested in AFC Bournemouth attacker Lee Tomlin"

All will be able to offer higher wages than us.  We need to move quick to have any chance. 

24 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Hull City, Newcastle United and Norwich City are all reportedly interested in AFC Bournemouth attacker Lee Tomlin"

All will be able to offer higher wages than us.  We need to move quick to have any chance. 

It doesn't matter how quickly we move, Tomlin's agent will take his time and you can bet your bottom dollar he will be speaking to every potentially interested club and holding out for the 'best' deal.

It will be decided according to which club pays most and offers either the best standard of football - or the best prospect of Lee playing the highest standard of football.  The only chance we have is to be seen to be moving with ambition on all fronts in the transfer market.  Even that may not be enough if he is given a shot at the Premier League.

17 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It doesn't matter how quickly we move, Tomlin's agent will take his time and you can bet your bottom dollar he will be speaking to every potentially interested club and holding out for the 'best' deal.

A player who needs to be loved, who's last two clubs have fallen out of love with him very quickly... he loved it here and I think that's under estimated!

4 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

A player who needs to be loved, who's last too clubs have fallen out of love with him very quickly... he loved it here and I think that's under estimated!

I think most players want money rather than love!

16 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

A player who needs to be loved, who's last too clubs have fallen out of love with him very quickly... he loved it here and I think that's under estimated!

I think you're right there. If he comes here, he'll be the first name on the teamsheet, will have an instant rapport with the fans and will be heavily recompensed for his efforts, even if that is through a signing-on fee. It's not often we can compete with Newcastle but don't rule it out.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I believe that footballers are not any different to all others who work for an employer. Salary is an important factor but in every survey I have ever seen about job satisfaction, the amount of remuneration has never been at the top of the list. Usually about one third of the way down the list.

People put appreciation by the company/manager/colleagues above salary more often than not.

They want to see that there is a reasonable chance of progression within a job; dead end jobs without any realistic prospect mean people are mostly unhappy all the time.

For a footballer, one could translate this job progression into playing in and winning matches, leagues, cups and maybe caps. I consider that the obvious appreciation of the City fans to Lee Tomlin should not be under estimated. Whether that swings it in our favour, remains to be seen.

13 minutes ago, Super said:

They want ENOUGH money and a successful playing career; they come into the game to play football.

If the choice was between doing a Ricky Lambert, bench warming on a higher wage, or earning two thirds of that but playing every week then most footballers IMHO would take the latter.

It's agents for whom money is the be all and end all; and they don't have the final say.

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe that footballers are not any different to all others who work for an employer. Salary is an important factor but in every survey I have ever seen about job satisfaction, the amount of remuneration has never been at the top of the list. Usually about one third of the way down the list.

People put appreciation by the company/manager/colleagues above salary more often than not.

They want to see that there is a reasonable chance of progression within a job; dead end jobs without any realistic prospect mean people are mostly unhappy all the time.

For a footballer, one could translate this job progression into playing in and winning matches, leagues, cups and maybe caps. I consider that the obvious appreciation of the City fans to Lee Tomlin should not be under estimated. Whether that swings it in our favour, remains to be seen.

True, but most employees don't have greedy agents managing their contract negotiations.

On another topic, I worry about having one player on much higher wages to the rest. 

Could it lead to resentment if he didn't pull his weight in training or went on a twitter rant.

9 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They want ENOUGH money and a successful playing career; they come into the game to play football.

I think that's true, but alongside trophies, money is a key way in which they measure themselves against their peers, and by and large they are highly competitive and driven individuals, so winning does matter to them.

The difference between £10k a week and £20k a week (or at the top, £150k and £200k) probably doesn't affect their lifestyle that much and the amounts are so large that it needn't affect their future life either, but for many of them they have to win and they have to beat their colleagues, so it matters a lot for that reason.

There comes a point where they're forced to accept the ceiling of their abilities and just take the best that's on offer but for Tomlin it will be a case of weighing up the likelihood of playing, plus the temporary adoration of a set of fans, versus accepting playing at a lower level, having a fairly limited chance of winning trophies AND a lower wage than he could command elsewhere.

It's not the worst choice in the world to have and most people would give a lot to be in that position but I can still see why they sometimes make decisions that appear irrational from outside.

39 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

I agree he was loved here. It's Ben well documented how much that mattered to him.

I think we have a chance of signing him, and I'm sure we can put a financial package together, but it will be a compromise for him. Take it or stay in the bench at Bournemouth? No contest.

But if a Norwich or Villa come in and give him 30k pw that's worth about £1.5 million gross more over three years than we can offer.

People keep going on about Newcastle and Norwich. He's not starting for either side week in and week out there either. He definitely won't if they go back up. His best chance of being a premier league player is by leading us there as the main man. My opinion anyway. 

On the Barnsley players thread we tell Barnsley fans that 'money talks' so their players would jump at the chance to come here because of the cash. In this thread we are saying money isn't everything and that its about being loved and playing regularly (The Barnsley targets are loved and playing regularly)

I know football fans of all clubs are equally as biased about their clubs but it is quite comical to read. 

Archived