IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

Thought I'd give this a mention on this thread...

Spoke to an Agent today who deals with some top players.

He's heard on two different occasions, from two managers in the Prem, that JK is highly thought of, as a rough diamond waiting to be polished.

Both said he'd do well to learn under LJ...but we would struggle to keep hold of him as the window lessens.

They also said that they see JK and TA as probably one of the best strike forces in the Championship, and that we'd struggle to find a replacement soon as good as JK if we sold him.

I'm really hoping we keep him, even if we get offered 10 million. What's 10 million these days, when you look at figures being thrown around atm.

Keep him for at least another season imo. What we've spent on him is peanuts when you compare it with other strikers.

Hopefully we get money for Bolaise and that can be used to bolster the team.

It's going to take a few transfer windows to get this team how LJ wants it.

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's heard on two different occasions, from two managers in the Prem, that JK is highly thought of, as a rough diamond waiting to be polished.

Both said he'd do well to learn under LJ...but we would struggle to keep hold of him as the window lessens.

They also said that they see JK and TA as probably one of the best strike forces in the Championship, and that we'd struggle to find a replacement soon as good as JK if we sold him.

I'm really hoping we keep him, even if we get offered 10 million. What's 10 million these days, when you look at figures being thrown around atm.

Keep him for at least another season imo. What we've spent on him is peanuts when you compare it with other strikers.

I agree with the main thrust of this post, except I would accept 10 mil + sell on clause for him from a prem club, I suspect that if the all new BCFC era is all it's cracked up to be then LJ will have a fairly full portfolio of potential replacements and with 10 mil + the Bolaisie money a fair old wedge.

One thing is for sure there are a lot of potential young upcoming potential targets in the French leagues from all nations especially African nations and because of the disparity in wages that exists between the French leagues and the UK, most younger players will be interested believe me.

The trick is when a ligue 2 striker starts scoring regularly get in quick and if a mid table ligue 1 side signs a young unknown striker who starts off well again get in early because most of these clubs are looking to cash in as early as possible.

This is one guy that would have fitted the bill a year ago when he moved from Reims to FC Lorient, now subject to 9mil bid from Hull, scored 2 on the opening day of the French season very similar to Kodjia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Moukandjo

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree with the main thrust of this post, except I would accept 10 mil + sell on clause for him from a prem club, I suspect that if the all new BCFC era is all it's cracked up to be then LJ will have a fairly full portfolio of potential replacements and with 10 mil + the Bolaisie money a fair old wedge.

One thing is for sure there are a lot of potential young upcoming potential targets in the French leagues from all nations especially African nations and because of the disparity in wages that exists between the French leagues and the UK, most younger players will be interested believe me.

The trick is when a ligue 2 striker starts scoring regularly get in quick and if a mid table ligue 1 side signs a young unknown striker who starts off well again get in early because most of these clubs are looking to cash in as early as possible.

This is one guy that would have fitted the bill a year ago when he moved from Reims to FC Lorient, now subject to 9mil bid from Hull, scored 2 on the opening day of the French season very similar to Kodjia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Moukandjo

Oh I do agree EMB...and with Des and his team scouting out there, then i'm sure they are aware of these golden nuggets.

I think if we need to push on, a little bit of stability is needed. We have a season long loan youngster and JK with one season under his belt.

Wilbs can give experience...but I think we are short still in that department.

Personally I'd buy pretty much any Striker FC Lorient find...:laugh: they seem to have the magic touch.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Agree with that.

However, the unknown is Kodjia himself. We are dealing with human emotion at the end of the day, and it could come down as much to what he wants as we want.

We should do everthing we can do to keep him, but if his head has been turned it will be difficult. My guess is, aside from playing Premiership football and the transfer fee, he must know he is worth a fair bit more in wages than we are now paying. Again guessing, but any replacement like for like may well be so so transfer wise re Kodjia, but would expect much higher wages than he is currently on.

Not really sure how these things work, but I would sit down with him, say how much we want him to stay, that we can continue to develop him, agree that if a premiership side puts in an offer of £10m we will let him talk, and here is another £10k a week to show our commitment. Until that day get out there and increase your profile by playing blinders.

42 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Agree with that.

However, the unknown is Kodjia himself. We are dealing with human emotion at the end of the day, and it could come down as much to what he wants as we want.

We should do everthing we can do to keep him, but if his head has been turned it will be difficult. My guess is, aside from playing Premiership football and the transfer fee, he must know he is worth a fair bit more in wages than we are now paying. Again guessing, but any replacement like for like may well be so so transfer wise re Kodjia, but would expect much higher wages than he is currently on.

Not really sure how these things work, but I would sit down with him, say how much we want him to stay, that we can continue to develop him, agree that if a premiership side puts in an offer of £10m we will let him talk, and here is another £10k a week to show our commitment. Until that day get out there and increase your profile by playing blinders.

I don't know who his agent is, but if he's worth his salt he'll be telling him to stay. JK knows his limitations and is still learning tactically. Imo, a move to a Prem aide is too soon. He's got a lot of learning to do. However...if a silly amount was offered, then you have to think of the club and sell. I hope he stays.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't know who his agent is, but if he's worth his salt he'll be telling him to stay. JK knows his limitations and is still learning tactically. Imo, a move to a Prem aide is too soon. He's got a lot of learning to do. However...if a silly amount was offered, then you have to think of the club and sell. I hope he stays.

The main problem is his age. Had he been 21/22, I've no doubt he'd stay another year. Now, however, he's got to make as much money as he can and get to the top quickly, or he won't make it. A move now could well set him up for two or three decent Premiership contracts. If he waits another year there are too many variables: poor form, injury and so on. He could end up shooting himself in the foot by not jumping on an opportunity now, even if he knows it might not be the best for him in a footballing sense.

I'd love him to stay and cement himself at City, though, and to start to show that he really wants to be here, as he is a quality player.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Why would his agent be telling him to stay if he can make more money by Kodjia moving?

Agents are more often crooks for their own selves than anything else.

57 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

Why would his agent be telling him to stay if he can make more money by Kodjia moving?

Agents are more often crooks for their own selves than anything else.

Trust me...i know how agents work . But a good agent thinks long term...not short term. Jk has another 10 years in him if he keeps fit. Footballers nowadays are looking to play into their mid to late 30's. Stay here 1 more year and who knows. At least 3 lots of 3 year contracts left in kodge Imo.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Trust me...i know how agents work . But a good agent thinks long term...not short term. Jk has another 10 years in him if he keeps fit. Footballers nowadays are looking to play into their mid to late 30's. Stay here 1 more year and who knows. At least 3 lots of 3 year contracts left in kodge Imo.

Coming to the pro game late-ish (ala Vardy) could also help him, he's still raw and learning so has a higher ceiling of improvement than academy graduates who've had years of tactical discipline and fine tuning.

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

The main problem is his age. Had he been 21/22, I've no doubt he'd stay another year. Now, however, he's got to make as much money as he can and get to the top quickly, or he won't make it. A move now could well set him up for two or three decent Premiership contracts. If he waits another year there are too many variables: poor form, injury and so on. He could end up shooting himself in the foot by not jumping on an opportunity now, even if he knows it might not be the best for him in a footballing sense.

I'd love him to stay and cement himself at City, though, and to start to show that he really wants to be here, as he is a quality player.

I see his age being the thing that might stop a Prem club going for him, thinking he's 26/27, he won't improve any further.

Best player last night according to Norwich fans.  

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Gambling on replication though Spudski. If he has 10 years left he could no doubt eek a good 4 year deal, with sign on fee now. I think a bird in the hand and all that. 

50 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

In all probability he is off. Looks like his head has been turned to me.

I have to say, he doesn't seem to smile as much on the pitch and didn't see him on the pitch after the final whistle. Didn't hang about. This could be because TA has come in and started scoring and he's in a bit of a slump(recall he didn't seem very happy mid winter months when he had a scoring drought). At the moment he seems sulky a bit but like I've said, we've seen it before and after a few goals he was quite spry. Maybe he just needs a goal. 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wouldn't mind if he went.

After my tears finally dried weeks after Glyn Riley left us, I quickly realised that I support the name, the club, the badge, the stadium and my fellow fans.....all the rest will come and go at regular intervals.....

True, but a little tear still runs down my cheek when I recount the day Gerry Gow left for Man City and I still do a little wee when I remember signing Alan Walsh for £18k!

Archived