IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

42 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well Derby signed Vydra for 8 million. He scored 3 goals last season... So yes the world has gone mad. They also have James Wilson so assume their interest in Kodja has passed. Why would he go there anyway ???? 

And this is what makes me think our 'championship' striker that is rumoured may come from Derby. So who are we looking at - Martin, Blackmail?

I'm struggling with the Hull offer. They have no manager, which didn't stop us when Cotts left. But the difference between us and Hull is that there was no take over going on. So who is sanctioning the transfer and with it also being a record for them to go through? 

Fair play  to then though, if they are driving the price up for us. 

4 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

And this is what makes me think our 'championship' striker that is rumoured may come from Derby. So who are we looking at - Martin, Blackmail?

I got to be honest, none of Derby's strikers strike fear into me, now I'd have one or two of their midfield / wide players though.

42 minutes ago, Redtone said:

I'm struggling with the Hull offer. They have no manager, which didn't stop us when Cotts left. But the difference between us and Hull is that there was no take over going on. So who is sanctioning the transfer and with it also being a record for them to go through? 

Fair play  to then though, if they are driving the price up for us. 

The owners are also looking to sell up, so yes an odd one. Agent piping up more interesting maybe?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

The closer we get to Wednesday & the more the interested clubs fail to get a decent striker in, the more desperate they will become & knowing that we don't need the money will only help to put the price up plus the fact that JK still has a long time to run on his contract.

True, but the same applies to us. Unless we have one thing already in the bag then we face either getting held to ransom ourselves, or -if Abraham's ankle injury is bad, Wilbraham as our only striking option. 

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

True, but the same applies to us. Unless we have one thing already in the bag then we face either getting held to ransom ourselves, or -if Abraham's ankle injury is bad, Wilbraham as our only striking option. 

Well if JK doesn't go then we still have a very good player on our books & he'll know that if he performs well then he might get his move in January but our negotiating position will be the same, he'll still have a few years left on his contract so his value will roughly be the same.

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

LJ said that should JK move on there are "contingency plans".   That means that City could be close to signing one or two new strikers.....

As for JK going to a PL club - unlikely in my view. It would obviously be a great move for him but I don't see him as PL striker. His all round game isn't quite that standard. 

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He is 26, 27 in October. But yes a chance to play in the Prem every player has to do it. It does not matter if for one season (Hull relegated), as if he does well, another Prem side will sign him up. The 14 million seems vague as it includes 4m of add ons ! That is 40% of add ons ... for what! Get the cash higher, AND a sell on fee. If he scores 15 in the Prem he will be worth £30M in the mad Prem market. (Bolasie for example) . 

My thoughts exactly on how any transfer should be dealt with...

Hopefully a lot of work is going on in getting a decent replacement straight in if JK leaves.

With TA having an ankle problem, the signing of Paterson isn't enough.

Hopefully our Scouting network know of another rough diamond from abroad ;-)

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am certain they have ideas, it is just timing. Indeed without JK leaving we are trying to get another striker in, so maybe there are two to arrive now. JK may even stay if fee not right, and that would make me happy, as I think if we can get to end of September in and around the top 10 , we have a very good chance of a playoff place as we are going to improve a lot this season. 

I would only get upset if he joins another Championship side, as it gives a competitor a 20 goal striker and we know what Gray did for Burnley last year, and what JK did to stop us being relegated. Goals in this league are everything. 

Paterson I see as a right sided winger/midfield player not a striker. 

Next 4 days going to be very busy. Good timing for a 2 week break mind. Gives LJ and his team time to work with the players and look at the good and bad of the 5 games. Saw Newcastle and Brighton on tv yesterday, and apart from a lot of pressing, thought they were both very average. We can be better than both this year. 

Totally agree BW...we seem to think the same ways.

And I agree with your assessments and views.

The only thing I may differ on, is the total belief in JK's ability. Indeed goals are the difference in this league and JK proved he can score...however i'm still unconvinced as to whether he can do it regularly. Something we don't know.

Massive gamble for any buying club.

You can understand why LJ rates TA at 30 million when you compare his all round ability with JK. If we got 15 million for JK with 25% sell on then i'd sell to a Championship club regardless.

I would however, be over the moon if JK proved his all round ability on a consistent basis.

Steve Lansdown was emphatic when interviewed that he would not sell to a Championship rival " No way". It will be really interesting to see if this has changed because over the years Steve Lansdown doesn't tend to state one thing publicly and then do the opposite. He doesn't have to sell for the money, the player is on a long contract so no pressure there. What we don't know  who is actually  bidding apart from Derby.

As for JK, he would obviously want a move to the Prem. I've loved his goals but considering how good he's been have never really warmed to him in the way I have to other players - maybe because I always figured he wouldn't be around for very long.

The great thing is ( and testament to the brilliant work that's been happening) is that it's a transfer that doesn't really worry me in that we're getting stronger all the time and departing from the days of completely relying on only one player who makes the difference between winning and losing.

LJ is quoted as saying that we have received bids throughout the summer for JK, now that being the case, I'd like to think that LJ & MA etc would have had the foresight to start looking for a possible replacement weeks / months ago & aren't just sat there now thinking "Oh shit, we may lose our main striker in the next 4 days or so, we better have a look at what replacements are out there for him"!!

We have been very forward in our recruitment since LJ & MA have been on board so I'm pretty sure we have an idea where we maybe signing our next striker or two from.

And I know it was from the Post but I'm sure I seen at the bottom of the story of the interest in JK that City were in talks about two strikers, surprised that hasn't been picked up on........

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

LJ is quoted as saying that we have received bids throughout the summer for JK, now that being the case, I'd like to think that LJ & MA etc would have had the foresight to start looking for a possible replacement weeks / months ago & aren't just sat there now thinking "Oh shit, we may lose our main striker in the next 4 days or so, we better have a look at what replacements are out there for him"!!

We have been very forward in our recruitment since LJ & MA have been on board so I'm pretty sure we have an idea where we maybe signing our next striker or two from.

And I know it was from the Post but I'm sure I seen at the bottom of the story of the interest in JK that City were in talks about two strikers, surprised that hasn't been picked up on........

They have a whole list of players they are interested in mate.

Hence LJ saying it will take 3-4 transfer windows to try and get the players he wants.

Unfortunately non panic buys tend to take a while to get over the line these days...Contracts are like reading a novel these days.

They will have started wheels rolling months ago ;-)

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree BW...we seem to think the same ways.

And I agree with your assessments and views.

The only thing I may differ on, is the total belief in JK's ability. Indeed goals are the difference in this league and JK proved he can score...however i'm still unconvinced as to whether he can do it regularly. Something we don't know.

Massive gamble for any buying club.

You can understand why LJ rates TA at 30 million when you compare his all round ability with JK. If we got 15 million for JK with 25% sell on then i'd sell to a Championship club regardless.

I would however, be over the moon if JK proved his all round ability on a consistent basis.

As someone who's been critical of the club in the past, how would you say it's being run now?

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Steve Lansdown was emphatic when interviewed that he would not sell to a Championship rival " No way". It will be really interesting to see if this has changed because over the years Steve Lansdown doesn't tend to state one thing publicly and then do the opposite. He doesn't have to sell for the money, the player is on a long contract so no pressure there. What we don't know  who is actually  bidding apart from Derby.

As for JK, he would obviously want a move to the Prem. I've loved his goals but considering how good he's been have never really warmed to him in the way I have to other players - maybe because I always figured he wouldn't be around for very long.

The great thing is ( and testament to the brilliant work that's been happening) is that it's a transfer that doesn't really worry me in that we're getting stronger all the time and departing from the days of completely relying on only one player who makes the difference between winning and losing.

But there is a huge difference in selling someone for possibly £10m (in hope) & then being offered a possible £14m!! That's 40% more than what we threw out there as a ball park figure to try & scare clubs off.

And if as seems possible & JK's head has been turned by a possible transfer & what he could earn, we'd be silly to keep someone who's heart & head isn't in it with us.

JK having years left on his contract only really means that we don't have to accept a below value offer as there's little chance of him walking for free in the foreseeable future so we can keep to our valuation but there is very little point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here & let's be honest, JK probably hadn't heard of us until little over a year ago, so has no real affiliation to Bristol City Football Club unlike us the fans!!

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

They have a whole list of players they are interested in mate.

Hence LJ saying it will take 3-4 transfer windows to try and get the players he wants.

Unfortunately non panic buys tend to take a while to get over the line these days...Contracts are like reading a novel these days.

They will have started wheels rolling months ago ;-)

And as long as we can turn player X,y or z's head, in the same way as JK's head seems to of been turned, then hopefully those players will want to push any deal to Bristol City through quicker, knowing they could miss out on the move if it's not done by Wednesday.

It is possible to get deals done quicker, it just depends on the want of both the player & clubs involved.

5 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But there is a huge difference in selling someone for possibly £10m (in hope) & then being offered a possible £14m!! That's 40% more than what we threw out there as a ball park figure to try & scare clubs off.

And if as seems possible & JK's head has been turned by a possible transfer & what he could earn, we'd be silly to keep someone who's heart & head isn't in it with us.

JK having years left on his contract only really means that we don't have to accept a below value offer as there's little chance of him walking for free in the foreseeable future so we can keep to our valuation but there is very little point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here & let's be honest, JK probably hadn't heard of us until little over a year ago, so has no real affiliation to Bristol City Football Club unlike us the fans!!

Still can't see it as being Derby but the great thing is that we've only got to wait three more days to find out who's coming, who's going  and who's staying and the final look of what is potentially the most exciting squad I have ever seen as a City supporter.

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

As someone who's been critical of the club in the past, how would you say it's being run now?

I've been very complimentary of how things are being run now fella...maybe you have missed those posts.

I was very happy when we got rid of SC...and said way before he was employed, that LJ would be our next manager.

I was pleased as punch when it happened, as well as MA being brought in.

For all his faults in the past, SL has wanted to run the Club in a certain way. The way it's being run now.

SC said he's do it that way...but then started to ignore that ideology.

LJ and MA will run the Club properly, unlike how most managers will run a team....which is often short term, for the life of their contract.

We now have a team of people on board all working in the same direction, a long term strategy for the future of the Club and not just their contract term length.

It failed under SoD because he didn't have the staff in place to help...he did pretty much everything, to the detriment of the first team.

Now we have people in place who know their jobs....Professionals, not wannabes. Modern football men, not dinosaurs that work the old school way.

Our scouting network is improving constantly...Des and his team are a great coup.

MA knows his stuff....as do other analysts and such like being employed.

LJ is a fantastic modern coach and man manager...he will go a long way in football.

We are now very Professional...unrecognisable from a few years back.

Still not perfect...but we are at least now going in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Still can't see it as being Derby but the great thing is that we've only got to wait three more days to find out who's coming, who's going  and who's staying and the final look of what is potentially the most exciting squad I have ever seen as a City supporter.

And the even better things is that of the three days we have to wait to find out what our final squad looks like, I'm on holiday for all three!

Agreed though, this is as exciting as I've known it here. It really feel as if we're trying to make the step up from championship also rans, to championship top half. There's only one more step then until championship challengers. 

I hope we continue to progress in this fashion. The vibe around the club is feeling very good at the moment, however I'd be naive if I said that wasn't 30% down to yesterday's result. I'm not sure it'd be quite the same had we lost 0-1 yesterday!

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I've been very complimentary of how things are being run now fella...maybe you have missed those posts.

I was very happy when we got rid of SC...and said way before he was employed, that LJ would be our next manager.

I was pleased as punch when it happened, as well as MA being brought in.

For all his faults in the past, SL has wanted to run the Club in a certain way. The way it's being run now.

SC said he's do it that way...but then started to ignore that ideology.

LJ and MA will run the Club properly, unlike how most managers will run a team....which is often short term, for the life of their contract.

We now have a team of people on board all working in the same direction, a long term strategy for the future of the Club and not just their contract term length.

It failed under SoD because he didn't have the staff in place to help...he did pretty much everything, to the detriment of the first team.

Now we have people in place who know their jobs....Professionals, not wannabes. Modern football men, not dinosaurs that work the old school way.

Our scouting network is improving constantly...Des and his team are a great coup.

MA knows his stuff....as do other analysts and such like being employed.

LJ is a fantastic modern coach and man manager...he will go a long way in football.

We are now very Professional...unrecognisable from a few years back.

Still not perfect...but we are at least now going in the right direction.

Sorry if you read it as a slur, it was never intended as that.

I was thinking back to around 3/4 years ago, wasn't your forum name 'Depths of Despair' at the time? 

I've always looked at things from a more positive point of view, even when times were bad. I didn't have a problem though with people asking serious questions of the club. We seem to do that better than say another local club, and in turn I always thought it was good how you could ask those questions without being accused of supporting, let's say another local club......

I'm happy to read that according to someone who has been critical of the club in the past now says we are at least heading in the right direction. 

I get the impression that Lansdown now has people in place who is truly trusts.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

And the even better things is that of the three days we have to wait to find out what our final squad looks like, I'm on holiday for all three!

Agreed though, this is as exciting as I've known it here. It really feel as if we're trying to make the step up from championship also rans, to championship top half. There's only one more step then until championship challengers. 

I hope we continue to progress in this fashion. The vibe around the club is feeling very good at the moment, however I'd be naive if I said that wasn't 30% doe to yesterday's result. I'm not sure it'd be quite the same had we lost 0-1 yesterday!

What a difference one result makes!

I was thinking of starting a thread on Friday about the incredible importance of winning v Villa. Putting us in play off position at an early stage before the break and just as the transfer window is closing. Harnessing the momentum of recent signings and results- now 5 wins and 2 losses to enable us to attract those final 2-3 players.

But I didn't as I thought I'd probably curse any chance of a result!

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I was thinking back to around 3/4 years ago, wasn't your forum name 'Depths of Despair' at the time? 

I've always looked at things from a more positive point of view, even when times were bad. I didn't have a problem though with people asking serious questions of the club. We seem to do that better than say another local club, and in turn I always thought it was good how you could ask those questions without being accused of supporting, let's say another local club......

I'm happy to read that according to someone who has been critical of the club in the past now says we are at least heading in the right direction. 

3/4 years ago didn't we we all post under the name "Depths of Despair".

4 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

It's all good fella...never read your post as a slur. It's really hard to make points in writing without it sometimes being taken the wrong way.

I'm really positive about how things are developing now.

As has been proven...I banged on about how poor our 'infrastucture' was for years. Heard it from ex managers, players and agents. Each to a man said 'nice club, nice owner...but soft and run by amateurs'...or words to that effect.

We have now put the right people in place and continue to do so.

It's fantastic to see how far we have come, in a short time, since these inclusions.

We still have a long way to go....especially in our scouting network and academies....that can be improved upon still...especially finding the younger kids locally and further afield. Unfortunately....Villa, Cardiff and Southampton have got a foothold....Even Exeter and Torquay were better at developing and finding such players.

Just been having a quick look back at 2013/14. Just under three years ago and around this time we were drawing 1-1 at home to Shrewsbury in one of our most abject performances I can remember at home. We`d been dicked 3-0 at home by Posh on the previous Saturday - I seem to remember a certain Lee Tomlin took us apart that day - and it was shortly after the infamous 5-4 v Coventry at Northampton. We didn`t win a game until the 4-2 win at Carlisle on 26th October (the JET show) and didn`t win at home until we beat Crawley 2-0 on bonfire night.

If someone had told me then that less than three years later we`d be beating Aston Villa at home I would have laughed at them so progress indeed in a relatively short time.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just been having a quick look back at 2013/14. Just under three years ago and around this time we were drawing 1-1 at home to Shrewsbury in one of our most abject performances I can remember at home. We`d been dicked 3-0 at home by Posh on the previous Saturday - I seem to remember a certain Lee Tomlin took us apart that day - and it was shortly after the infamous 5-4 v Coventry at Northampton. We didn`t win a game until the 4-2 win at Carlisle on 26th October (the JET show) and didn`t win at home until we beat Crawley 2-0 on bonfire night.

If someone had told me then that less than three years later we`d be beating Aston Villa at home I would have laughed at them so progress indeed in a relatively short time.

Jesus that Shrewsbury game was a real low point in recent times. We've come a long way, baby! 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Jesus that Shrewsbury game was a real low point in recent times. We've come a long way, baby! 

I would like to think that there was a Shrewsbury fan harking back to that match 3 years ago as a high point and saying that had he known that three years later they would get beaten 3-2 by Gillingham, a team of cast offs from that team Shrewsbury had drawn away at, he would have headed for the Suspension Bridge!

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was cursed that season. Went to all home games bar 2. Crawley and one on the Easter weekend, both were wins. I was 20 minutes late to Walsall on boxing day, and missed Baldock scoring the penalty for a 1-0 win. So the first time I actually saw a league win was Stevenage 4-1.

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Exactly what I used to hear from similar people, it was even sadder when you know how much funding was being provided by SL.

When MA came in, I wanted him to shut up and do the do, because talking about the job, and a little too much about himself, was setting the wrong vibe. He has, quite correctly in my view, taken a less visible position, and has clearly demonstrated his ability to broker deals and deliver (together with Des) the business. After the window is shut, it would then be opportune for him to explain how it went and with the business done. He has improved our transfer business ability beyond recognition, so huge plus , and a big thumbs up for MA.

I was not convinced by LJ coming in, felt it was a job too early for him, and also that we needed someone to raise the bar at the club in terms of coaching and standards. He has impressed though, and whilst it is obvious he also (like a number of the players) will be learning and improving, getting 9 points in the bag so early on and the win yesterday, takes the pressure off, allowing  him and the rest of the team to work out how to use the players available to best of their ability over the next games. Keeping Pembo I also feel was a very sensible move. Going to be fascinating to see LJ and his coaches and all the players develop over this season. We all have to hope we can build on the start to get a stable position in the league , then anything is possible. 

Academy, well it has been so sad for too long, no surprise we lost Herbie Kane when we had such a poor set up. I would still prefer we went to Cat 1 status (structure is in place needs funding and resources increase but outside FFP) as we will continue to lose talent in the region. 

Agree mate...Although MA being clearly involved and forefront didn't bother me, it obviously did others, so making himself more stealth like, has probably helped his profile here.

I do like the way the Club have become more transparent, and information about intention has been more forth coming in an honest and intelligent way.

Unfortunately 'Suits' and 'Business talk' rubs some people up the wrong way...but that's the line of work he's in, and how people talk.

I've been convinced LJ was the right man for us, way before he came here. He's really well thought of by Professionals within the game.

Maybe he hasn't years under his belt...but he's far ahead of more recognised managers with more experience than him.

When you hear players stating that his coaching and man management skills are better than others they've worked with, then look at the managers those players have worked under...then you realise how good he really is.

When you hear the likes of Alex Ferguson saying he's a great coach and manager and we are a Club now to take notice of....then you take note.

When the likes of Man City and others bigger than us have offered him jobs...you take note.

Plus the fact, other managers and coach's trust him and like him...when getting loans in, is another bonus.

He's got a lot of talents for a man of young age.

I personally think he's the man for us...as he's the right fit for what SL wants us to do. Basically we are growing together.

I can see bigger Clubs coming in for LJ sooner rather than later.

I'd like to see the team of management and players develop as one, for many more years to come. Some stability for once.

As for the Academy....I've got my reservations about it. Fine to attract players if you are Cat 1. Finding quality football at that level for developing the kids up to Championship standard is hard. Hence the likes of Burnley pulling out of their league. And why we have to loan players out.

That's why I'd be in favour of Academy teams being mixed up in the lower men's league like the Conference....but without promotion.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can see bigger Clubs coming in for LJ sooner rather than later.

What's nice is I think that LJ really does have his heart in this club. It's easy to come out with a few sound bites but as a former player it does put a different spin on it. I think he really, REALLY wants to be the man that delivers what his Dad couldn't quite. I think it'd have to be a considerably bigger club to turn his head.

I can't see a Swansea or a Burnley turning his head for example, whereas if he had no 'emotional' investment here, they quite easily could.

Archived