IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

£14 million is outrageous money, we're in a win win situation.

If we sell him, we make £12 million-ish profit on an unknown French gem from the lower leagues, and can look at bringing in Martin or Wells or a player of a similar standard..

If we keep him, we have a 20-goal a season striker.

Only stumbling block is if Kodjia is pushing for a move.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

£14 million is outrageous money, we're in a win win situation.

If we sell him, we make £12 million-ish profit on an unknown French gem from the lower leagues, and can look at bringing in Martin or Wells.

If we keep him, we have a 20-goal a season striker.

Only stumbling block is if Kodjia is pushing for a move.

Don't Angers have a sell on clause?

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

Don't Angers have a sell on clause?

Ah yes, forgot about that, no idea how much it is for though. Seen 20% to 45% touted, but either way it's a fair chunk of money for a player who was totally unproven in England last season.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just been having a quick look back at 2013/14. Just under three years ago and around this time we were drawing 1-1 at home to Shrewsbury in one of our most abject performances I can remember at home. We`d been dicked 3-0 at home by Posh on the previous Saturday - I seem to remember a certain Lee Tomlin took us apart that day - and it was shortly after the infamous 5-4 v Coventry at Northampton. We didn`t win a game until the 4-2 win at Carlisle on 26th October (the JET show) and didn`t win at home until we beat Crawley 2-0 on bonfire night.

If someone had told me then that less than three years later we`d be beating Aston Villa at home I would have laughed at them so progress indeed in a relatively short time.

Oh god, when the commentator on the match highlights said 'bristol city are in dreamland' I had my face in my hands. Dreamland with a win against Carlisle. 

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Thats interesting, though maybe not for the teams in the Conference. I guess the under 23 idea was intended to address this area better. I don't what happens in Germany at the transition from youth to men's football. Other countries seem to follow the loaning out approach . Maying banning loans would force top clubs to stop stockpiling players. 

I know Burnley changed approach, there was also an element that they are in an area swamped by some huge Prem structures and youth players were already snapped up by them, or taken away instantly when showing promise. At least we have some miles around us between Prem clubs. 

When you consider how much money is spent running Academies, it does make you wonder whether it's worth it.

However...with the massive parachute payments being made, for us, and other clubs like us, it's something we need to invest in as well as taking loans like TA.

The biggest problem imo, is kids don't get coaching that is at the level of the rest of the world. They end up in Academies playing 'catch up'. Then are expected to be as good as the foreign players in the Prem. It's a long process of playing catch up...and unless coaching at grass roots greatly improves, then it always will be, imo.

Interesting that we are now bringing in kids from abroad into our Academies...obviously LJ and his team see it the same way.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Surely he played against Hull for us last season, were the coach windows blacked out? or was he asleep for the journey into Hull?, Hull FFS even Derby is a better place.

I expect he can see only £ signs and the opportunity to get relegated from the Premier League

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Surely he played against Hull for us last season, were the coach windows blacked out? or was he asleep for the journey into Hull?, Hull FFS even Derby is a better place.

You can't blame him for wanting to play Premier League football if an opportunity arises. I very much doubt he gives a flying fark about Hull, as a place. It's not like he'll live there.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Ah yes, forgot about that, no idea how much it is for though. Seen 20% to 45% touted, but either way it's a fair chunk of money for a player who was totally unproven in England last season.

Seem to remember 40% being the rumour. If true I hope we keep him. £10m up-front would leave us £6.8m to replace him, with possibly £2.4m at some point down the line which may never appear, depending on the clauses.

If we can get him to re-focus once the deadline passes I think it would be better to keep him. It won't be easy to find a replacement if Angers get that sort of cut. 

Depends on whether LJ can manage him if he throws his dummy when we turn down the bid(s).

On 19 July 2016 at 23:17, Scrumpy said:

If he does go he won't be missed. Trust in the management either way.

Wasn't well recieved by some when I posted the above. Beat Villa without him didn't we?

He won't be missed and we'll cash in big time by the way things are looking. 

Trust what the management team do.

Hopefully doesn't require a (re)re-repeat :)

Kodjia - please sort things and either go or commit. Ta.

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot get my head around the idea that the best move for a player might be to where the highest wage packet is being offered and not a move to a club with let's say greater potential of staying in the top division and maintaining that level of pay packet for a longer time rather than risk having his wages severely cut in the event of relegation and I for one cannot believe that the nutter who owns Hull won't insist on that particular clause, the difference in wages being offered I suspect will be negligible in the grand scheme of becoming more wealthy.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot get my head around the idea that the best move for a player might be to where the highest wage packet is being offered and not a move to a club with let's say greater potential of staying in the top division and maintaining that level of pay packet for a longer time rather than risk having his wages severely cut in the event of relegation and I for one cannot believe that the nutter who owns Hull won't insist on that particular clause, the difference in wages being offered I suspect will be negligible in the grand scheme of becoming more wealthy.

It's taking a chance on yourself though. Betting on yourself to score a few goals and get noticed elsewhere. If he scores a few for Hull and they're relegated he could keep his premier league wages. At our stage of development as a club, we will get a few mercenaries. That's fine if they perform. If Kodjia were to go he will have given us memories, helping stay in the league and a large profit. A couple more like that and we've got 20m to spend. Sad seeing players go but knowing what we know now, the club will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's taking a chance on yourself though. Betting on yourself to score a few goals and get noticed elsewhere. If he scores a few for Hull and they're relegated he could keep his premier league wages. At our stage of development as a club, we will get a few mercenaries. That's fine if they perform. If Kodjia were to go he will have given us memories, helping stay in the league and a large profit. A couple more like that and we've got 20m to spend. Sad seeing players go but knowing what we know now, the club will be fine. 

I don't really care about him going to be honest, because at the prices being quoted he is not really that good IMO, I agree about the our stage of development and I think our squad is looking exciting, if he goes hopefully 2 strikers will come in and the money in the coffers is a bonus but I disagree about your thoughts on a footballers thought process about a big money transfer, I think for many it's only about the money and always will be, I don't have a real problem with that but I would have thought that the difference is negligible to be honest.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just been having a quick look back at 2013/14. Just under three years ago and around this time we were drawing 1-1 at home to Shrewsbury in one of our most abject performances I can remember at home. We`d been dicked 3-0 at home by Posh on the previous Saturday - I seem to remember a certain Lee Tomlin took us apart that day - and it was shortly after the infamous 5-4 v Coventry at Northampton. We didn`t win a game until the 4-2 win at Carlisle on 26th October (the JET show) and didn`t win at home until we beat Crawley 2-0 on bonfire night.

If someone had told me then that less than three years later we`d be beating Aston Villa at home I would have laughed at them so progress indeed in a relatively short time.

If memory serves, wasn't JET's hat trick up there a "perfect" one ie. left foot, right foot and header?

Archived