IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

6 minutes ago, City169 said:

We have better players, but they play as a team

Bit like Belgium against Italy, Belgium had better players, Italy were a far better team.

Not saying Wales deserved a win, but they played their plan better than we did. Even Hodgson said that if he wasn't the England manager he would have felt Wales were hard done by.

They played their plan better than us?? What was that then, try not to lose by too many?? And you think we were poor? Really? Really?? Better team in both games deserved to win both.

2 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

They played their plan better than us?? What was that then, try not to lose by too many?? And you think we were poor? Really? Really?? Better team in both games deserved to win both.

Do you think every other pass being over hit, numerous shocking crosses from open play (Rooneys corners were decent), and players constantly running into cul-de-sacs is a good performance?

Wales were playing for a draw and very nearly got it (with a huge helping hand from a poor Joe Hart) while we looked out of ideas and scraped 2 scrappy goals.

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Do you think every other pass being over hit, numerous shocking crosses from open play (Rooneys corners were decent), and players constantly running into cul-de-sacs is a good performance?

Wales were playing for a draw and very nearly got it (with a huge helping hand from a poor Joe Hart) while we looked out of ideas and scraped 2 scrappy goals.

...but were better than the team in front of us. And yes they were all in front of us

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

Couldn't care less about the goals typical strikers goals I would say, of course we need to improve we can play better and will need to.

1 hour ago, City169 said:

They let us have the ball, we had no cutting edge, Vardy was anonymous other than his goal. None of our players can put in a good cross from open play, our midfielders ran into cul-de-sacs, everyone tried to do too much themselves and Joe Hart decided (once again) to gift the opposition a goal. Sterling was abysmal (and I'm being very kind). Sturridge did **** all until the 91st minute. Rose once again showed he is nothing more than a cheat with his diving.

Jimmy Greaves regularly did nothing for 89 minutes - apart from stick the ball in the net..

Sturridge did what he was brought on to do , as did Vardy, and which Sterling and Kane had failed to do for 135 minutes of football.

Not saying it was perfect, but this is tournament football where the first aim is to get out of the group and we've given ourselves a good chance now. Before anyone says that we will be found out when we come up against the better sides, a fair few of the fancied teams/better sides  have looked less than convincing and relied on late winners. Also, the  so called minnows have been no walkovers, and I think that results are by far the most important thing at the moment.   

I can't believe anyone would say England didn't deserve to win that? If someone could show me a passage of play where Wales strung more than 6 passes together I'd be surprised.

Although not the best performance, it was good to see us showing some attacking intent. The first half looked like it was going down the same lines as the Russia game and would've done if it wasn't for the changes at half time.

People have criticised Sturridge for being wasteful but it is refreshing to see an England player whose instinct is to go forward or look for goal as opposed to passing it sideways.

I know we will have to be better against top sides but it is bloody difficult to play against teams who park 10 men in the box.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

wow how empty is your glass?  on the whole we retained the ball well and looked to break down a team intent on defending deep, but look if thats the way you saw it then whatever..

3 minutes ago, pommers1965 said:

we won...
it's about winning games..
would be happy to continue playing how we have if it means progression & possibly winning the bloody thing
why do people have to moan when we win?

Why is it not ok to say that a performance wasn't great when England win, but there will be 2-3 threads saying it if city win but play poor?

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Jimmy Greaves regularly did nothing for 89 minutes - apart from stick the ball in the net..

Sturridge did what he was brought on to do , as did Vardy, and which Sterling and Kane had failed to do for 135 minutes of football.

Not saying it was perfect, but this is tournament football where the first aim is to get out of the group and we've given ourselves a good chance now. Before anyone says that we will be found out when we come up against the better sides, a fair few of the fancied teams/better sides  have looked less than convincing and relied on late winners. Also, the  so called minnows have been no walkovers, and I think that results are by far the most important thing at the moment.   

Hard to disagree with anything there, still doesn't change my view that we put in a poor performance today. Though I'll say Walker was our best, and he didn't have a bad game.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

The second goal was scrappy?!

Intricate close range passing and a great finish to open up a solid defence is not scrappy in my book. A skilful and well-worked goal.

2 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

wow how empty is your glass?  on the whole we retained the ball well and looked to break down a team intent on defending deep, but look if thats the way you saw it then whatever..

I'm often accused of being a happy clapper, so not very empty. It seems objective criticism isn't allowed if it's England

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

Why is it not ok to say that a performance wasn't great when England win, but there will be 2-3 threads saying it if city win but play poor?

Hard to disagree with anything there, still doesn't change my view that we put in a poor performance today. Though I'll say Walker was our best, and he didn't have a bad game.

the whole aim of the game is to win...badly or brilliantly or inbetween.
why debate the performance when we were clearly the only team trying to win & reached that aim

Aaron Ramsey and Ashley "Wolverhampton" Williams still "walk" into the England team, anyone? As far as I can see, only one of the Welsh team would make any positive difference to England, ie, improve the team. You could make a case for Ramsey, I guess, but what impact would he make? Would we qualify for Finals any more/better? Would we get to QFs and Semis with him in the side? Would we f$#@. He would make no noticeable difference. Only Bale would improve us.

And I think we've just seen the evidence of this, this afternoon.

In all aspect of life I'm a realist, Enlgand and City included. But the amount of people having a go for simply having a different, and honest opinion is making me feel more and more negative.

A forum is for debate, but when you are repeatedly asked what world you're on, told your opinion is nonsense or other comments if that ilk, it doesn't lead very kindly for discussion.

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Aaron Ramsey and Ashley "Wolverhampton" Williams still "walk" into the England team, anyone? As far as I can see, only one of the Welsh team would make any positive difference to England, ie, improve the team. You could make a case for Ramsey, I guess, but what impact would he make? Would we qualify for Finals any more/better? Would we get to QFs and Semis with him in the side? Would we f$#@. He would make no noticeable difference. Only Bale would improve us.

I think Ramsey had a fantastic first half, but poorer second half, he would definitely get into a joint England and Wales team for me, Bale too even if I dislike him as a player. Williams I always thought got overrated, though he is a good player. Wouldn't have him although defence is our weakest area

I swear that if we lift the Trophy in Paris thanks to a Sturridge hat trick, there will still be posters on here finding fault with just about every player, the team selection and Roy's tactics.

They will also  say that Sturridge did nothing for 88minutes and that we will be found out when we come up against a good team.

5 minutes ago, pommers1965 said:

the whole aim of the game is to win...badly or brilliantly or inbetween.
why debate the performance when we were clearly the only team trying to win & reached that aim

Why's it fine for people to debate it when it's city, but not if its England? 

Changing channels to watch NI after the England game, I went one too many onto Channel 4.

What a contrast; there's all those lords and ladies in expensive finery leaping up & down and just screaming when one particular horse looked like it might win a race. Back at the football, the fans are not creating a commotion, but urging their favourites on and applauding good footballing moves.

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

In all aspect of life I'm a realist, Enlgand and City included. But the amount of people having a go for simply having a different, and honest opinion is making me feel more and more negative.

A forum is for debate, but when you are repeatedly asked what world you're on, told your opinion is nonsense or other comments if that ilk, it doesn't lead very kindly for discussion.

You started it by saying "No. We were poor" in the face of actual facts. Hardly discussion if that's what you want. Either you're a genius and everyone else is wrong or England were and are better than Wales

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Did Bale do anything today though? Yes, he scored from a goalkeeping clanger but wouldn't say he did much more than Robson-Kanu for example. However, having said that he would enhance the England team but thought he was pretty anonymous considering all of the shit he was spouting this week.

6 minutes ago, City169 said:

You've got to pick your moment, young 'un, and maybe just reply to those who clearly want to debate. Right now, most people are still running high on adrenaline and low on rational thought!

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Bale has been poor in both games, two lovely strikes aside. Difficult in a team that don't seem to want to actually kick the ball but even against Slovakia he gave the ball away time and again. Of course he'd get into the England team but not been great so far. Ramsey I was impressed with today. The only player trying to actually play. Kanu did a job up top but the rest poor

I think against these lesser teams we struggle because they simply put 11 behind the ball. It becomes so saturated it's hard to make chances. With the pace we possess we would be a real threat on the counter in the knock out stages to teams that come at us.

A lot was said about how great we are in attack prior to the start of the tournament. However I feel our defence which got a lot of stick have done quite well.

8 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

You started it by saying "No. We were poor" in the face of actual facts. Hardly discussion if that's what you want. Either you're a genius and everyone else is wrong or England were and are better than Wales

We were poor, so were Wales 

that isn't a hard concept to grasp, I have an opinion, you disagree, comments made before were unnecessary and rude, I haven't at any point said anyone's opinion was nonsense, told them they must be on another planet or anything like that. 

Woy got the selection wrong again starting with 1 up front and had to overcompensate with 4 strikers on at the end.

Luckily the Welsh werent good enough to take advantage and we are now almost guaranteed the next round. No more Sterling and Lallana please.

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

We were poor, so were Wales 

that isn't a hard concept to grasp, I have an opinion, you disagree, comments made before were unnecessary and rude, I haven't at any point said anyone's opinion was nonsense, told them they must be on another planet or anything like that. 

Saying "Nonsense" to opinion you presented as fact is hardly terrible. Nor is it being a "dick". The only bad language on here. I suggest you toughen up or present some actual facts or at least logic to your argument 

I thought we did well today against a plucky welsh team.

1st half we lacked creativity and seemed out of idea's but in the 2nd half we looked dangerous and it was just a matter of time until we got the winner.

Good performances again from Walker, Rooney....Lallana and Rose also decent. Rooney looks good in centre midfield he gets a lot more of the ball than he does up front and he can dictate the game on occasions.

Still worry about the spine of our defence, Hart seems to panic in big games and there always seems to be a mistake or 2 when our 2 centre backs have the ball.

Poor from Wales today, they was lucky they was in the game for so long, their tactics were negative and i am so glad we punished them.

This tournament has got the feel of '90 and '96. I just hope it's third time lucky.

For me, and obviously this is just an opinion (not mutually exclusive :P), I thought this was a cracking game... the feeling of incredulousness (just what was Hart thinking), the FY Wales on the equaliser and the utter relief of winning, cracking effort by Sturridge. And for comedy, the Welsh fan who was crying before the game ended (BBC camera man probably lingered too long on him, but funny as hell) and I thought Bale was going to cry when interviewed (always a dangerous thing to do and give it large, sets you up for a fall. Sometimes its best to just wait till it's over and do it).

Well done lads

Archived