IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

25 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Amazing how fortunate some teams are - can you ever imagine any side fluffing as many opportunities in a key match against City? Or England?

France were equally lucky last night.

To be fair we have been known to somehow avoid conceding even when the ball has quite clearly crossed the line!

Anyone come across any "credit to England" type classy/gracious post-match comments from Gareth Bale yet? I've seen this from Chris Coleman (credit to the Taff for that) but not from Super Star Galactico monkey chops Bale. It must be out there somewhere, I'll keep looking....

4 hours ago, Just Red said:

Pedestrian?? It was wave after wave of attack. High tempo stuff.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Pedestrian!! It was only pedestrian if your idea of pedestrian is Usain Bolt running for a bus.

Maybe I was over-critical. Definitely a trait of mine when it comes to football, especially in games when I'm nervous. As I said, I only saw the second half, but I just thought we didn't really trouble their keeper enough despite our dominance. I suppose it was always going to be tough with Wales getting players behind the ball, and even Germany tonight didn't force many saves in the second half of their game.

That winning goal being so late was a great moment, though, and at least it will keep my Welsh colleagues at work quiet. 

Just from the 20 mins or so can anyone else see Rashford (should we go a long way in this) coming out of it a real star?

Looks such a natural young with no fear.

He probably will only play from the bench, but should we reach the semis and have a couple of injuries would love to see him stride out as our front man.

Imo he has a better first touch more skill and better vision than our other strikers.

Vardy and Sturridge better finishers at this time but this boy looks the real deal.

Problem for me in this I F..... hate manu!!!!!

Watched the game down here on BeIn sports last night (In a mates home bar - not quite as rowdy as the AG Bar & Grill hahah)

Was "treated" to post match analysis from Keys, Gray, a bored Andy Cole, a frail looking Kevin Keegan and an always dull Ruud Gullit.

They spent ten mins discussing whether the Vardy goal was offisde or not. Gray even got up and used his bleedin video wall. After a while they all agreed that the officals had made the correct decision. And then..........

Keys proceeded to launch into the lino on the far side slating him for not flagging. Even tho he was correct not to - Keys thought the lino should have flagged and waited for the extra offical and/or ref to overrule him.

What a funny hairy little man!

ll.jpg

6 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

Watched the game down here on BeIn sports last night (In a mates home bar - not quite as rowdy as the AG Bar & Grill hahah)

Was "treated" to post match analysis from Keys, Gray, a bored Andy Cole, a frail looking Kevin Keegan and an always dull Ruud Gullit.

They spent ten mins discussing whether the Vardy goal was offisde or not. Gray even got up and used his bleedin video wall. After a while they all agreed that the officals had made the correct decision. And then..........

Keys proceeded to launch into the lino on the far side slating him for not flagging. Even tho he was correct not to - Keys thought the lino should have flagged and waited for the extra offical and/or ref to overrule him.

Keys has always been a complete tool. 

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

He's right - it was pedestrian

The debate works better if you back up a claim like this with some reasoning.

I don't see how anyone could describe the game as pedestrian.  "Pedestrian" is a word I would associate with a low-key friendly where no-one is trying to get injured, or perhaps an end-of-season encounter between two teams with nothing to play for.  This was a full-blooded encounter between two rivals, with England launching wave after wave of attack in the second half.  It wasn't end-to-end, I'll give you that, but that's because Wales got 11 men behind the ball and showed little attacking intent at all, particularly after having snatched the lead.  It's inevitable with so many men behind the ball that England's attacks slowed down in the final third of the pitch, as they were constantly having to probe to find a way through a mass of players.  But to call the game "pedestrian" is a nonsense.

8 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

ll.jpg

Funny enough I was making the same point to some mates last night, albeit coming at it from a different angle. 

The lino did incredibly, unbelievably well to not give it offside. Rather than celebrate I shouted "offside" to try and calm mate mates down from the obvious heartbreak I thought would follow. But he was right  

Hats off to the Lino. Brilliant call. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The debate works better if you back up a claim like this with some reasoning.

I don't see how anyone could describe the game as pedestrian.  "Pedestrian" is a word I would associate with a low-key friendly where no-one is trying to get injured, or perhaps an end-of-season encounter between two teams with nothing to play for.  This was a full-blooded encounter between two rivals, with England launching wave after wave of attack in the second half.  It wasn't end-to-end, I'll give you that, but that's because Wales got 11 men behind the ball and showed little attacking intent at all, particularly after having snatched the lead.  It's inevitable with so many men behind the ball that England's attacks slowed down in the final third of the pitch, as they were constantly having to probe to find a way through a mass of players.  But to call the game "pedestrian" is a nonsense.

Pedestrian; absolutely not.

It's hard for me to come to an assessment on how we're doing. We deserve 6 points and yet we've got 4 (which is not to be snubbed at). My concern is we are so wasteful in possession: the clearest chance we created yesterday we didn't convert.

I don't think we are playing particularly outstanding and I expected more tbh. I'm not calling us out as poor, but I think just as that would be harsh good would be over-egging it. I think bang average covers it.

My biggest worry and what makes me more damning is simply whilst we looked very comfortable over the 180 minutes, and we looked very comfortable in defence, it's actually in attack I think we look weak. Players are getting in eachother's way, passes are too predictable and there is a real lack of incisiveness. I think the tactics are stiffling. For instance, Kane is being made to look ordinary when he is anything but and given the right role he would challenge I'm sure.

For Slovakia it'd be Kane and Vardy leading the line, Alli replaced with one of the options and Sterling would be given a Gameboy and told to occupy himself for the duration of the tournament.

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Sterling would be given a Gameboy and told to occupy himself for the duration of the tournament.

Can you imagine giving him Tetris? He'd used the down arrow to bring down all of the pieces really quickly paying no attention to where to put them. 

Either that or he'd just give the gameboy away to one of the opposing subs. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Pedestrian; absolutely not.

It's hard for me to come to an assessment on how we're doing. We deserve 6 points and yet we've got 4 (which is not to be snubbed at). My concern is we are so wasteful in possession: the clearest chance we created yesterday we didn't convert.

I don't think we are playing particularly outstanding and I expected more tbh. I'm not calling us out as poor, but I think just as that would be harsh good would be over-egging it. I think bang average covers it.

My biggest worry and what makes me more damning is simply whilst we looked very comfortable over the 180 minutes, and we looked very comfortable in defence, it's actually in attack I think we look weak. Players are getting in eachother's way, passes are too predictable and there is a real lack of incisiveness. I think the tactics are stiffling. For instance, Kane is being made to look ordinary when he is anything but and given the right role he would challenge I'm sure.

For Slovakia it'd be Kane and Vardy leading the line, Alli replaced with one of the options and Sterling would be given a Gameboy and told to occupy himself for the duration of the tournament.

While I agree with much of what you say, I think we have to recognise that we have played two teams who have made very little attempt to win the game. Getting 11 men behind the ball is a tactic limited teams employ precisely because it makes it very hard for superior sides to be incisive. The final third of the pitch is just so congested. Fortunately we did find a way through twice which proved enough to win the game, so I wouldn't be that critical of our forward play under the circumstances.

Whilst we certainly haven't been outstanding, I would say "bang average" is a little unfair. We have kept the ball well, dominated possession and created chances. Had we played teams with a less defensive approach, we may have scored more goals - but of course our slightly suspect defence would also have been more tested, and our full backs less able to get forward.

I would say we have been somewhere in between outstanding and average.

Archived