IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

9 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Saying "Nonsense" to opinion you presented as fact is hardly terrible. Nor is it being a "dick". The only bad language on here. I suggest you toughen up or present some actual facts or at least logic to your argument 

So saying to someone their opinion counts for nothing is a perfectly reasonable thing? That's essentially what you did, and that is being a bit of a dick. 

I have presented facts in where I described the game, numerous over hit passes, players running into cul-de-sacs, etc. Those were all things that happened repeatedly, and I believe (though you will probably tell me I'm wrong) that things that happened are non fiction, and so they are not things I have made up, but actually happened and therefore they are factual.

30 minutes ago, City169 said:

So saying to someone their opinion counts for nothing is a perfectly reasonable thing? That's essentially what you did, and that is being a bit of a dick. 

I have presented facts in where I described the game, numerous over hit passes, players running into cul-de-sacs, etc. Those were all things that happened repeatedly, and I believe (though you will probably tell me I'm wrong) that things that happened are non fiction, and so they are not things I have made up, but actually happened and therefore they are factual.

None of those things have any bearing on whether one team is better than another though, which is the point you're missing.

England over hit passes, Wales didn't make any = England were better than Wales

England ran into cul de sacs, Wales didn't have the ball to run with it as they either lost it or England won it back quickly = England were better than Wales

Anything else?

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

None of those things have any none of those things have any bearing on whether one team is better than another though, which is the point you're missing.

England over hit passes, Wales didn't make any = England were better than Wales

England ran into cul de sacs, Wales didn't have the ball to run with it as they either lost it or England won it back quickly = England were better than Wales

Anything else?

I at no point said Wales were better than England, so I didn't miss that point at all.

If passes are constantly over hit, then they aren't good passes are they? Ditto crosses. Same with players running into cul-de-sacs. We've just had a season of Luke Freeman doing that and no one is saying he had a good season are they?

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

I at no point said Wales were better than England, so I didn't miss that point at all.

If passes are constantly over hit, then they aren't good passes are they? Ditto crosses. Same with players running into cul-de-sacs. We've just had a season of Luke Freeman doing that and no one is saying he had a good season are they?

So if one team is clearly better than the other team on the pitch they deserve to win, no?

46 minutes ago, City169 said:

In all aspect of life I'm a realist, Enlgand and City included. But the amount of people having a go for simply having a different, and honest opinion is making me feel more and more negative.

A forum is for debate, but when you are repeatedly asked what world you're on, told your opinion is nonsense or other comments if that ilk, it doesn't lead very kindly for discussion.

No one has a problem with objective criticism. The problem is your criticism - namely that England were poor and didn't deserve to win - is at odds with the overwhelming consensus on here. If you're going to give an opinion, you have to be prepared to defend it, and for others to disagree with it. Particularly when it doesn't subscribe to the majority view. That's how the forum works.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No one has a problem with objective criticism. The problem is your criticism - namely that England were poor and didn't deserve to win - is at odds with the overwhelming consensus on here. If you're going to give an opinion, you have to be prepared to defend it, and for others to disagree with it. Particularly when it doesn't subscribe to the majority view. That's how the forum works.

I have defended it, and given reasons, I have no issue with that. To tell someone their opinion is invalid, nonsense, not worth having, is uncalled for. 

Even if I vehemently disagree with an opinion, and can't understand why they would have it, I would never tell someone their opinion is worthless.

Maybe it's a respect thing, and my generation is always told WE are lacking.

9 minutes ago, Offside said:

I only managed to watch the second half of the England game. Glad that we won, but it was very pedestrian. Hopefully now that game with all the surrounding hype is over we can build, but we're going to have to play better than that.

Pedestrian?? It was wave after wave of attack. High tempo stuff.

43 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

5064.jpg

I'm chuffed for this chap. The one in the white shirt, bit chubby, red faced, gray hair.

How did all those Welsh fans get tickets for the England end?

37 minutes ago, City169 said:

You keep trying to put words in my mouth.

It's called logic and common sense. You're comparing us to Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc. I'm comparing us to the other team on the pitch who we out played and were better than.

from my Welsh mate on Facebook:

"Hats off to my English chums, better team on the day. Not world beaters yet tho 

Which is just about spot on IMHO

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

It's called logic and common sense. You're comparing us to Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc. I'm comparing us to the other team on the pitch who we out played and were better than.

from my Welsh mate on Facebook:

"Hats off to my English chums, better team on the day. Not world beaters yet tho 

Which is just about spot on IMHO

I haven't compared us to anyone, once again you are trying to put words in my mouth.

I did draw parallels to how people react when it's a Bristol City player though.

27 minutes ago, City169 said:

I have defended it, and given reasons, I have no issue with that. To tell someone their opinion is invalid, nonsense, not worth having, is uncalled for. 

Even if I vehemently disagree with an opinion, and can't understand why they would have it, I would never tell someone their opinion is worthless.

Or maybe you're just wrong this time? PS I bet I'm not that much older than you, unless you are a toddler. Opinions are fine but when presented with reason, facts and statistics it might do you just as well to be prepared to change them or at least accept that you are pretty much the only one with that opinion. As someone else said pick your battles.

oh and watch the game again as if you were Welsh and then see who the better team was

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Or maybe you're just wrong this time? PS I bet I'm not that much older than you, unless you are a toddler. Opinions are fine but when presented with reason, facts and statistics it might do you just as well to be prepared to change them or at least accept that you are pretty much the only one with that opinion. As someone else said pick your battles.

oh and watch the game again as if you were Welsh and then see who the better team was

Well I've spoken to a fair few others who agree with me about today. Was in a chat room on another forum and many others were saying it was a poor performance. Might have a look through the posts on here from during the game and re-read those as well. Had left it before the winner went in though. I also presented my opinion along with facts and reason, not agreeing with an opinion doesn't stop those facts being facts.

I didn't pick any battle. I gave an opinion, it was you and the others who decided it should be a battle.

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

Well I've spoken to a fair few others who agree with me about today. Was in a chat room on another forum and many others were saying it was a poor performance. Might have a look through the posts on here from during the game and re-read those as well. Had left it before the winner went in though. I also presented my opinion along with facts and reason, not agreeing with an opinion doesn't stop those facts being facts.

I didn't pick any battle. I gave an opinion, it was you and the others who decided it should be a battle.

3 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Give it up we were the better side. Embarrassing 

Alright guys, can we agree to disagree? You both make fair points but this is clearly going nowhere. 

33 minutes ago, City169 said:

I think you're a good poster and I generally enjoy what you write, but when you write things that so many people disagree with do staunchly, you're going to get some grief. 

I think England played well given the circumstances. Wales made it hard for us to score and that affected our ability to play free flowing football as I suspect you would have liked. It wasn't the best spectacle of I game I agree but wasn't it made sweet at the end?

As others have alluded to, you have to win ugly sometimes and Wales' parking the bus made it ugly. But we won!

How'd ya like them apples Gareth?

Archived