IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

9 minutes ago, collier said:

We had chances against the poor teams in our group, we managed 1 win in the last minute. It stands to reason the better sides will also get more chances against us. Consider that we dominated all 3 games for near 90 minutes but we only had 1 clean sheet in 3, care to guess what might happen against better attacking teams?

And if we go a goal behind against one of the better sides God help us. They can also defend.

Thought first half we were actually ok. More it went on, just ran out of ideas, width, pace, anything. 

Sad thing is, not sure any 11 we would have chosen would actually have changed anything tonight.

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

We might be able to counter attack those sorts of teams who bring the game to us but our finishing isnt there is it. We got in some good areas enough times but they must have blocked at least a dozen shots. Dont feel roy should get too much blame we had a team capable of winning we were just wasteful. 

Also just to add was anyone else ******* fuming when we ****** around with the ball in the last seconds instead of hoofing it up the pitch?? It really infuriates me.

Not just you, Smalling passed back to hart when there was nobody around him. Lack of urgency was baffling.

4 minutes ago, Stortz said:

He is delusional.

All the pundits sat there chatting like that was ok, am I missing something?!

Yep, you're not getting paid big bucks to bullshit about the quality of football so the media get more in ad revenue?

8 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Look at all of Wales goals and the amount of space between the midfield and defence which the balls were played through.

Slovakia were camped in their half the whole game. Russia did the same for most of the game and so did the Welsh. Every match teams have gone at Wales and left space for them to exploit. Fair play they've taken advantage of it and are deservedly top of the group but you can't ignore England have had a slightly different challenge to them.  

All of that is true i guess, but the reality is one of the smallest football nations on the planet has wiped the floor with the largest !!!

thats as much as any welsh fan could have dreamed of and shows that teams are mote powerfull than  individuals in any industry not just football.

6 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I know a lot of people don't rate Walcott but he is just the sort of player England needed tonight to run into the box with pace instead of all that tip tap outside the box.

England play a formation that needs wingers and they brought one and his name is Raheem Sterling. Now I don't know the injury situations but Walcott, Townsend, Ox Chamb and my personal favourite Nathan Redmond all would've been quality additions. Even playing an attacking full back at winger may have helped like Cresswell. All I know is that for all the attacking talent I hear that England have, you've scored 1 goal against Russia and Slovakia(FK by the way) and Wales scored 5 past the same teams. As for more space against attacking teams, I'm not buying that too much. England have had some chances and haven't been clinical. This team screams of the good ol boys and their clique. Have wasted spots out there on "big club" players that don't really care. Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling. What do they bring? Nothing. I can't understand why they're there. Why not Townsend? Championship player? One of those in the French though. His teammate who had a 75 yard run knocking defenders over and picking out pin point crosses. 

Anyway, rant over, but England can't progress under Hodgson and maybe even the FA who saw fit to employ him. I think England will win their next match and everyone will be excited again but I won't. Can't see them going any further than that. England being my new home, I want them to do well but just can't see it. Maybe I'm feeling what all my mates have told me about. Oh well, maybe USA have a chance against Argentina later on. :blink:

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

we have a severe lack of quality/creativity/nouse in our team, we huff and puff for 90 minutes but you don't win games at this level without creativity.

I remember 3 Very creative balls through that brick wall. If you want to blame the finishing fair enough, But we got behind a back 9 enough times to win.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Not just you, Smalling passed back to hart when there was nobody around him. Lack of urgency was baffling.

Its almost as if they're scared to have the responsibility of passing incase misplacing a long ball. Also the case when we were knocking the ball inside and around the edge of the box they just looked scared to shoot.

4 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

All of that is true i guess, but the reality is one of the smallest football nations on the planet has wiped the floor with the largest !!!

thats as much as any welsh fan could have dreamed of and shows that teams are mote powerfull than  individuals in any industry not just football.

Yep, fair play to Wales. 

Can't believe how many people still believe Wales are a "championship" side. All but two of their starting 11 tonight play week in week out in the Premiership and one of those two are due to play in the prem next season.

Add to that they have the worlds most expensive/best player and you can see why they won the group. Teams didn't set up so defensively against them as they did England.

17 minutes ago, Super said:

We will be coming up against teams with an attacking threat, I really wouldn't want Portugal.

Set up for England v Portugal, and you just know that will be the game Ronaldo suddenly discovers his form! What odds him scoring the winning goal in a shoot-out?

Just wondering what playing Iceland, Hungary or Austria will be like... And can only think it will be precisely the same as what I just witnessed. 

They'll be there for penalties yet we will always give up an opportunity. I would say we made more mistakes at the back today than Slovakia did thinking about it (Smalling underhit chest pass to Hart)!

Still, at least we're through and another night of misery beckons... Probably at the hands of Ronaldo.

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Can't believe how many people still believe Wales are a "championship" side. All but two of their starting 11 tonight play week in week out in the Premiership and one of those two are due to play in the prem next season.

Add to that they have the worlds most expensive/best player and you can see why they won the group. Teams didn't set up so defensively against them as they did England.

Exactly. And Slovakia should have beaten them. Wales were all over the place at times against them. We didn't really give Slovakia a sniff and should have put more than 2 past Wales 

Bilic absolutely spot on. We were pedestrian again, too many predictable passes between the midfielders. Vardy ran at them twice first half and drew 2 fouls. 

Embarassing Wales finished above us, surely even if we get to the semis its the last tournament for Hodgson, his subs are absolutely shocking!!!

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Teams didn't set up so defensively against them as they did England.

Not sure if Russia set up defensively against Wales or not, Wales just seemed to run at their defenders at speed every time they got the ball, if there's one thing defenders don't like...

2 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Not sure if Russia set up defensively against Wales or not, Wales just seemed to run at their defenders at speed every time they got the ball, if there's one thing defenders don't like...

Great if you are one on one but the Slovak back 10 meant that if you run there is another defender waiting

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

21 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I know a lot of people don't rate Walcott but he is just the sort of player England needed tonight to run into the box with pace instead of all that tip tap outside the box.

"England play a formation that needs wingers"

No they don't. Have you not noticed all four full backs push on relentlessly?

All this opposition set up defensively against England excuse is a smoke screen.  Of course you would, you know that our team seems to count possession above goals.  I wouldn't be surprised if the defence played the sideways passes just to up their stats.  We play (mostly) like dinosaurs so the opposition do likewise.  

Fair play to the Welsh (you gits)

Frankly, playing Vardy, Kane, Sturridge with a slow motion system isn't going to deliver lots of goals. All three are best running into space. We allow teams time to pack their defence and midfield and then complain when they do!

There were times when we had a 'quick flick' option to break out of defence but - as ever - choose to slow it down passing backwards or sideways. Our players have been coached possession football above all else. 

Thank you FA for FA. 

Archived