IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

11 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Even if we get past out last 16 we'll get France in the quaters

Then most likely Germany in the semis, not that I expect us to get past France.

Just ran out of ideas in the last half hour. 

Roy is an idiot as well.

"If we had won the game people would say we didn’t miss them [the players who were left out] and when we don’t they say the team selection is wrong, I am used to that one.

Yes. The only word in that which matters is 'if'! Yep we were playing a team that stuck everybody behind the ball. We seemed to finish the game at walking pace with 5 playing in the number 10 position and no outlet wide. The few times they committed players forward and we got the ball, we seemed to stop to allow them to get back in possession. We are how many years in to Roy, and I really have no idea what he considers our preferred style. 

40 minutes ago, collier said:

Yep, it's laughable that people's opinion is that Wales won the group because they are a worse team? It 's a group format, not a beat your rivals format. Wales did what they had to against 2 poor sides, we didn't.

If Wales had played three teams with 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, they might have struggled. Likewise if Slovakia and Russia had played a more open game against us as they did against Wales, we would likely have won those games comfortably.

I am not defending our performance tonigh and I do accept we should have been capable of winning the group regardless. But Wales have benefitted from the approach of the opposition. And let's not forget, we did beat them, and we looked comfortably the better side.

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Even if we get past out last 16 we'll get France in the quaters

Nothing to fear if we get there. I know that sounds 'happy clappy' after drawing to Slovakia but we have beaten them recently (admittedly under very sad circumstances) and playing against a much more open and attacking team will help us. Have to get there first though like I say! Onwards! 

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

You missed the last two tournaments then?

Really do not see that we have developed that much. Got some decent players but still a long way from looking a well moulded team. It also helps not playing sides with Suarez in them. 

Unless it is Portugal, we will still be favourites to get to the QF, which is really about par for this team. 

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

If only we had a manager that had a clue. Does an England manager have to be English? We don't really have many options. 

Capello and Erikssen weren't English and arrived in the job with strong reputations. Didn't exactly end the years of hurt did they. Don't see what nationality has to do with it, and history has shown us the problems run much deeper than whoever the manager happens to be at the time.

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Last tournament we played two very good teams and were unlucky by the time the third game came around we cbf.

2002 and 2004 was the best i seen us and we narrowly missed semi finals

I can't remember us dominating teams like we have in this tournament..... Ever.  And with such a young team. I'm Not trying to blow smoke up their ass, as if you have ever seen my postings previously about England you will realise I think they are the most talentless bunch of waters ever!

But for once the have actually impressed me with their ball retention at international level. They need to be more ruthless in front of goal, but for the first time in a long time I feel like they can play the international game.

7 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

If only we had a manager that had a clue. Does an England manager have to be English? We don't really have many options. 

Not if you are judging the last two incumbents.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

I can't remember us dominating teams like we have in this tournament..... Ever.  And with such a young team. I'm Not trying to blow smoke up their ass, as if you have ever seen my postings previously about England you will realise I think they are the most talentless bunch of waters ever!

But for once the have actually impressed me with their ball retention at international level. They need to be more ruthless in front of goal, but for the first time in a long time I feel like they can play the international game.

I agree, my wife said tonight "wow, our passing has got really good, it looks like when Spain or Germany play against us." 

2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I agree, my wife said tonight "wow, our passing has got really good, it looks like when Spain or Germany play against us." 

Get her off the ketomine.  It was awful.

I think that the lack of posts for the final match in our group suggests either:

1. Everyone is pissed and in France (lucky buggers)

or

2. We're sat in the uk in the rain and the performance was so average that we've fallen asleep in our Horlicks. 

3 minutes ago, RedSA said:

In the first half I would agree. Second half retention was ok, just far far to slow at times.

For what it is worth, I do not think we lost the top spot today, but in hindsight against Russia when a goal up. That is when the top teams control the ball so well, and drive you nuts chasing shadows. Instead suddenly we were behind the ball defending, having run the game up to that point. A skill we are still a long way behind the Spains and Germanys at.

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They have been in all three games, the worst Russian side I've ever seen.... we still couldn't beat them though!

They at least fought against us (on the pitch I mean), that looked shocking. Dean Saunders just said it was the worst performance from an international team he's ever seen! 

Trying to work out the likelihood of who we will play...

I've gone for an Iceland-Austria draw and a Portugal win... Meaning an England v Hungary Last 16.

Disappointed in the result tonight but, genuinely, this is the first England team I've ever passionately wanted to do well (aged 21). Just could never bear the thought of John terry, Ashley Cole et al. being national heroes. Perhaps the most damaging aspect of tonight's result is the negative atmosphere it will deservingly generate rather than any actual possible opponents in the later rounds.

7 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Trying to work out the likelihood of who we will play...

I've gone for an Iceland-Austria draw and a Portugal win... Meaning an England v Hungary Last 16.

Disappointed in the result tonight but, genuinely, this is the first England team I've ever passionately wanted to do well (aged 21). Just could never bear the thought of John terry, Ashley Cole et al. being national heroes. Perhaps the most damaging aspect of tonight's result is the negative atmosphere it will deservingly generate rather than any actual possible opponents in the later rounds.

I'd take hungary over any team we could have got if we won the group. the only problem then is, if we win the r16 game we have to play France in the quarters 

I'm fed up with investing time watching the conservative shite we serve up time and time again. Why not just go out and win a football match? The 23 best players in the country shouldn't need to be told how to win a match....they've been coached for years!!!

I hate that the ******* welsh are top of the group,  but at least they aren't pretentious or deluded like we are. 

13 minutes ago, RedSA said:

They at least fought against us (on the pitch I mean), that looked shocking. Dean Saunders just said it was the worst performance from an international team he's ever seen! 

And Saunders is well placed to talk about shit football :laughcont:

Archived