IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not convinced Wales scoring would have made any difference to Slovakia's approach. Regardless of the result in the other game, they needed a point to guarantee at least third in the group.

Well it certainly didn't encourage them to become any more attacking whereas Russia taking the lead would have cranked the pressure up on them.

Regardless, the format of knowing third could well suffice makes for this type of game.

Interestingly, Jonathan Pearce has just made the exact same point!

Bit like last nights game, with a goal!

I think to have any chance to get a third place spot, NI need to finish above Albania. To do that, they can lose by three, but not by four. Will be interesting what tactic they adopt, if Germany get two up and are happy to knock it around.

If you didn't know the outcome from last night and read the some of the posts in the last few pages of this thread you'd be forgiven for thinking that England had gone out of the competition. 

Though I suspect that even if we'd won every game 5-0 so far, certain people would still be finding things to complain about. 

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Is our record is not:

WWDWDDDWLDWWDLLDDWD

We drew with Portugal in 2006 and with Italy in 2012: penalties used to decide who advances once a match ends in a tie.

I just used the overall outcome (ie we lost because we got knocked out) but point taken! Another two admirable draws to be proud of :) 

50 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Well it certainly didn't encourage them to become any more attacking whereas Russia taking the lead would have cranked the pressure up on them.

Regardless, the format of knowing third could well suffice makes for this type of game.

Interestingly, Jonathan Pearce has just made the exact same point!

I do agree - although of course the flip side is that almost every team goes into the last round of group games with something to play for.

Still annoyed by Hodgson's decision to drop 6 players. If we had won the group before tonights game then fair enough to give a few players a rest and a few others a chance but the group was still in the balance. Why on earth wouldn't you pick your best team and go on and try and win the match, therefor getting top of the group.

Even with Slovakia putting 11 players behind the ball we should have found a way to break their resilience, it was all very slow and static last night and we was crying out for some width and pace and a faster tempo.

We should have pretty much started with the same team that ended the Wales game, we scored in injury time to beat a local rival and the players must have been buzzing but all the momentum we had from that went out of the window because of the team Hodgson picked.

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I do agree - although of course the flip side is that almost every team goes into the last round of group games with something to play for.

Indeed, although does raise the spectre of the latter groups knowing exactly what they need to go through.

Think NI will be ok, just. Could do it this evening if Turkey get a result against the Czech Rep although think that is unlikely. Their best chance will be hoping Sweden do not beat Belgium, or ironically, Rep of Ire beat Italy.

1 hour ago, yardy said:

Still annoyed by Hodgson's decision to drop 6 players. If we had won the group before tonights game then fair enough to give a few players a rest and a few others a chance but the group was still in the balance. Why on earth wouldn't you pick your best team and go on and try and win the match, therefor getting top of the group.

Even with Slovakia putting 11 players behind the ball we should have found a way to break their resilience, it was all very slow and static last night and we was crying out for some width and pace and a faster tempo.

We should have pretty much started with the same team that ended the Wales game, we scored in injury time to beat a local rival and the players must have been buzzing but all the momentum we had from that went out of the window because of the team Hodgson picked.

He didn't drop 6 players.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Just said that the Croatian police tipped off the French police about a plan for a group of fans to attack tonight's referee!

What the.......?!

I wonder if the ref knows this? Might make for some interesting decisions.

Admittedly Croatia are pushing to actually do something in this match, so they don't have 11 behind the ball, but just look at Spain's options and movement in the final third.

Willing runners, quick one touch passes. If there's no options, then it's retained and they go again. Quality, speed and accuracy of pass is another level.

On 19 June 2016 at 22:40, cityexile said:

Sadly not that straight forward. For instance, if the teams from groups A B C and D qualified, we can not play A as the others will not fit. It is complex as they also want to avoid the possibility of two teams from the same group playing before the semi finals.

Best explanation, with a table for the possible outcomes, is shown here

http://www.eurosport.com/football/euro-2016/2016/explained-3rd-place-teams-at-euro-2016-how-it-works-who-plays-whom-and-who-s-set-to-grab-a-spot_sto5651583/story.shtml

The table, WA standing for winner group A. We hope to be WB! Also just to add there are many more options that see us play the third from A and D than C.

I will be testing on this later!

Euro 2016 - allocation of third-placed teams to knockout matches (Source: UEFA)

Just bumping this for the statos amougst you.

If the Czech Rep do not win tonight, it means NI are through. Who will they play I hear you shout? It would have to be one of the combos with B and C in it. There are only three outcomes, two of which give them France (with the winner playing the winner of Englands tie), and the other outcome giving them....Wales.

One other little gem to keep an eye on. Should Spain lose tonight, they will go in to the same half of the draw as Germany, Italy, England, and France, with Italy, Spain and Germany in the same quarter. If Portugal finish second, they will join that half!

Of course Spain will win their group, and the Czech Rep will also win to make it all the pointless musings of an old man, but maybe just someone out there is interested!

Archived