IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not sure the team spirit is any different - that is just something "minor" teams always bring up

The key difference the 3 opponents England played all parked the bus - ultimately apart from agaisnt the Welsh we weren't good enough to break them down

Teams set up very differently against the Welsh and Russia were completely inept in their last game

The real sign of how good a side is will come in the knockout stages, just hope to god England don't come up against a team playing for penalties from the start as we can see we will no doubt struggle

don't you think the bigger problem is that England don't know how to "shut up shop" and have shown in this tournament so far a difficulty in breaking down teams down who do ?

In the knock out stages, the shadow boxing comes to an end and inherent weakness' in all the teams are exacerbated.

Those with the best balance of defense and attack generally prevail e.g Italy on the current showing so far.

England are not that far off having the exact balance required... they can defend... although they have their moments, and they can attack if only they would stick to a formula.

In my humble opinion 6 changes v Slovakia was a recipe for disappointment, which is exactly what was served up.

I would have started with the same team as v Wales with the exception of Harry Kane, who looks hopelessly out of form.

I would have introduced Vardy later

have no doubts... this England team have better balance than many previous England teams, my issue is they have probably the most cautions indecisive and un-inspirational manager at the tournament.

If England were being managed by Conte for example then i would really fancy them.

14 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

don't you think the bigger problem is that England don't know how to "shut up shop" and have shown in this tournament so far a difficulty in breaking down teams down who do ?

In the knock out stages, the shadow boxing comes to an end and inherent weakness' in all the teams are exacerbated.

Those with the best balance of defense and attack generally prevail e.g Italy on the current showing so far.

England are not that far off having the exact balance required... they can defend... although they have their moments, and they can attack if only they would stick to a formula.

In my humble opinion 6 changes v Slovakia was a recipe for disappointment, which is exactly what was served up.

I would have started with the same team as v Wales with the exception of Harry Kane, who looks hopelessly out of form.

I would have introduced Vardy later

have no doubts... this England team have better balance than many previous England teams, my issue is they have probably the most cautions indecisive and un-inspirational manager at the tournament.

If England were being managed by Conte for example then i would really fancy them.

Nailed it. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nailed it. 

Only Albania have used more players than England 20-19 respectively.

It shows a lack of clarity, eats away at players who are in form, and kills consistency.

Roy will tell you he's being clever and protecting players

I don't believe that, nor do the players... ask Wayne Rooney for example !!!

His tinkering will cost him.

12 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Surely the whole point of results being predicted is that you think 1 side will win. If people didnt predict results then that would be the end of the best thing about football, giant killing upsets. 

It was the way you said "Wales will lose".  As if it was a foregone conclusion and no other outcome was possible.  Whilst I certainly agree they wouldn't be favourites, I wouldn't say Wales losing to any of those sides was a foregone conclusion.

16 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

It shows a lack of clarity, eats away at players who are in form, and kills consistency.

Agree 100%. 

It was crystal clear from the outset that Hodgson had no tactical plan and no idea of what his best shape or squad looked like. His 'master plan' vs Wales at HT was just 'bung a load of strikers on and hope for the best' - and it paid off for him - just about - but the reality for me is we were lucky to get the points we did - could easily have been three draws.   

But apparently I'm in a minority. I keep being told how well we've performed or that I should support Wales because I dare question Jose Hodgson's abilities to effectively manage this squad :facepalm: 

2 hours ago, djb6162 said:

I would have kept the midfield the same as the Wales game. I think Roy made a boobie there. Other than that, the whole country was asking for Kane and Sterling to be dropped and he did. As for the full backs, I can totally understand the swap there due to the amount of running they have to do getting up and down. 

I still get that nagging feeling that he doesn't know his best team and heading into the knock out rounds is worrying.

56 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

I would have kept the midfield the same as the Wales game. I think Roy made a boobie there. Other than that, the whole country was asking for Kane and Sterling to be dropped and he did. As for the full backs, I can totally understand the swap there due to the amount of running they have to do getting up and down. 

I still get that nagging feeling that he doesn't know his best team and heading into the knock out rounds is worrying.

To reiterate something he said himself and I think it's particularly true with this squad, the players playing aren't necessarily any better than those that aren't. 

It seems a very equal squad to me and so any pretension of a 'best team' seems a bit futile.

The bbc had a function for people to pick their best 11 and there were literally millions of combinations, I believe.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was the way you said "Wales will lose".  As if it was a foregone conclusion and no other outcome was possible.  Whilst I certainly agree they wouldn't be favourites, I wouldn't say Wales losing to any of those sides was a foregone conclusion.

Yeah saying that in jest doesnt mean they will definitely lose. 

Sorry but I hope they do anyway

My concern about playing Iceland is that they would probably set up exactly the same way as all of the other teams we've faced. Obviously they have to win but will probably just going in with the mindset that they will try and sneak a 1-0. 

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

And the winner of that will face Morrison's.

If the game appears to have been fixed, we'll have a judicial review led by Lord Sainsbury. I wonder if the press will report Their Expected Substitute Came On?

Archived