IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

Or you could look at it this way . We rested a few key players and we have a whole week until the next game . Our opponents have a 4 day rest . A weeks between a game is a big gap in tourament football . Our players should be fresher than most . Optimistic post i know .

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Wales might now secretly be fancying their chances of reaching the final, given they're in the other half of the draw from Italy, Spain, Germany, France and England. The strongest teams in their half of the draw are probably Croatia and (if they finish second in their group) Belgium, who the Welsh beat in qualifying. 

Wales will lose to Poland, Belgium, Portugal and Croatia in that side of the draw.

I am sorry they arent in the same class as those teams.

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I personally think its a bit of a joke that teams are going through with 2 defeats. Either make it 16 (4 groups) or 32 teams (8 groups) not this half baked third place bollocks.

Agree with that. To many teams putting up shutters knowing third place is a possibility. Kudos to them, but even NI today knew a low defeat gave them every chance, looking at results in other groups rather than their own group.

9 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Or you could look at it this way . We rested a few key players and we have a whole week until the next game . Our opponents have a 4 day rest . A weeks between a game is a big gap in tourament football . Our players should be fresher than most . Optimistic post i know .

You shouldn't have to apologise for optimism! It's a good point. We will at least be fresh.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Somebody will work out how unbalanced the whole draw is now.

With four groups finished, the confirmed teams in the top half are Wales, Switzerland, Poland and Croatia.

In the bottom half the confirmed teams are us, Italy, Germany, France and Spain.

For the sake of a goal last night!

And huge congrats to N Ireland!

Is it not unfair to call the draw unbalanced? It may seem so on paper but the teams at the top of their groups deserve to be there. 

12 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Is it not unfair to call the draw unbalanced? It may seem so on paper but the teams at the top of their groups deserve to be there. 

Indeed they do. Wrong choice of words really, and think Croatia, Belgium etc may well end up as good as anyone.

6 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Indeed they do. Wrong choice of words really, and think Croatia, Belgium etc may well end up as good as anyone.

Fair. Croatia look good... Even without Modric! Belgium I'm not so sure... Their coach could be their downfall. They usually play with 4 Cb's across the back line.

24 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Wales will lose to Poland, Belgium, Portugal and Croatia in that side of the draw.

They took four points off Belgium in qualification. Poland aren't a bad side (and they clearly have an exceptional striker, although he has mis-fired so far) but they drew at home against Scotland in qualification. If Ronaldo continues to mis-fire, Portugal aren't unbeatable - so Wales could beat any of those three. 

Agree re Croatia, I suspect they'd be too strong for Wales but in a one-off match and if Bale plays well, I wouldn't write them off altogether. 

3 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Admittedly Croatia are pushing to actually do something in this match, so they don't have 11 behind the ball, but just look at Spain's options and movement in the final third.

Willing runners, quick one touch passes. If there's no options, then it's retained and they go again. Quality, speed and accuracy of pass is another level.

If only we could of matched Spain's performance tonight against Slovakia. 

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Although they beat Belgium in qualifying....

Qualifying maybe, tournament and knockout football totally different in my opinion. 

Dont get me wrong I can admit Wales have done really well but I cant see them beating those teams. They came up against 1 half decent side in us and lost.

32 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

How many times in football do unexpected results, unlikely upsets and giant killings have to happen before people stop deciding the outcome of matches in absolute terms, before a ball has been kicked?

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How many times in football do unexpected results, unlikely upsets and giant killings have to happen before people stop deciding the outcome of matches in absolute terms, before a ball has been kicked?

Surely the whole point of results being predicted is that you think 1 side will win. If people didnt predict results then that would be the end of the best thing about football, giant killing upsets. 

7 hours ago, Taz said:

I agree, although nobody should be playing any 3rd placed teams, because they should be out. 

How can anyone think that finishing 3rd in a group  of 4 is worthy of a place in the knockout stages is staggering. 

Bloody ridiculous.

Indeed, completely ridiculous to expand to 24. Should have gone to 32 or been left alone. 

7 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Qualifying maybe, tournament and knockout football totally different in my opinion. 

Dont get me wrong I can admit Wales have done really well but I cant see them beating those teams. They came up against 1 half decent side in us and lost.

They beat two teams that the mighty England couldnt. Amazing how far a real team spirit and belief can take you over 'on paper' ability (Greece 2004, City 07/07, Leicester 15/16). 

By winning the group they've given themselves a huge boost, at our expense. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They beat two teams that the mighty England couldnt. Amazing how far a real team spirit and belief can take you over 'on paper' ability (Greece 2004, City 07/07, Leicester 15/16). 

go support wales then ffs

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Indeed, completely ridiculous to expand to 24. Should have gone to 32 or been left alone. 

Trouble with 32 is you would end up with some very poor teams, I hope it goes back to 16 top two go through.

11 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

What the fup is Ramos doing taking it? Never a penalty in a million years either.

Or why it wasn't retaken! Can the official behind the goal not see the keeper was at least 5 yards off his line!

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Trouble with 32 is you would end up with some very poor teams, I hope it goes back to 16 top two go through.

True, but some so say very poor teams have done well at the tournament so far.

Be happy enough to see it go back to 16 though, although I do like the extra knockout round. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure the team spirit is any different - that is just something "minor" teams always bring up

The key difference the 3 opponents England played all parked the bus - ultimately apart from agaisnt the Welsh we weren't good enough to break them down

Teams set up very differently against the Welsh and Russia were completely inept in their last game

The real sign of how good a side is will come in the knockout stages, just hope to god England don't come up against a team playing for penalties from the start as we can see we will no doubt struggle

11 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

The benefit of hindsight. My point was purely about their movement and options when passing. Result clearly not ideal

Sorry, I know I was being a bit of a dick acting as Captain Hindsight! :) 

• Admin

The French authorities have expelled controversial Russia fan leader Alexander Shprygin for a second time.

He was put on a flight from Paris to Moscow on Tuesday evening, the French interior ministry said.

Mr Shprygin had previously been expelled on Saturday, a week after fan violence marred Russia's Euro 2016 match with England.

But he returned overland via Spain, and was arrested at the Russia-Wales match in Toulouse on Monday.

He is reported to hold far-right views and his All-Russia Supporters' Union is backed by the Kremlin.

Mr Shprygin said four other Russians among those expelled on Saturday had also managed to get back into France for the match against Wales.

Investigators believe he flew to Barcelona and crossed the border by car to travel to the French city of Toulouse, where Russia lost 3-0 to Wales.

The Russian football team are also going home, having failed to go through to the knockout phase with only one point in the group stage.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Almost definitely. It is ok adding teams like Albania come to the tournament if say they qualified into the 16 team competition. Teams have been relying on getting 1 win and any point extra is a bonus for them, it has made it defensive and given an advantage to the weaker sides.

Just have the simple format they have had for years 16 teams and 2 qualify to the quarters from each group.

7 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Almost definitely. It is ok adding teams like Albania come to the tournament if say they qualified into the 16 team competition. Teams have been relying on getting 1 win and any point extra is a bonus for them, it has made it defensive and given an advantage to the weaker sides.

Just have the simple format they have had for years 16 teams and 2 qualify to the quarters from each group.

But if it was 32 it would be top 2 through again and that issue would be gone.

youd still have some weaker sides, but you'd have weaker sides that would be playing to win or come second in the group

28 minutes ago, City169 said:

But if it was 32 it would be top 2 through again and that issue would be gone.

youd still have some weaker sides, but you'd have weaker sides that would be playing to win or come second in the group

This. 

The current format is laughable - you can theoretically get through the groups without winning a game or scoring a goal. 

Teams wouldn't be able to play like Slovakia did against us all through the groups because only two teams will go through. 

Archived