IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

Somebody will work out how unbalanced the whole draw is now.

With four groups finished, the confirmed teams in the top half are Wales, Switzerland, Poland and Croatia.

In the bottom half the confirmed teams are us, Italy, Germany, France and Spain.

For the sake of a goal last night!

And huge congrats to N Ireland!

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Somebody will work out how unbalanced the whole draw is now.

With four groups finished, the confirmed teams in the top half are Wales, Switzerland, Poland and Croatia.

In the bottom half the confirmed teams are us, Italy, Germany, France and Spain.

For the sake of a goal last night!

And huge congrats to N Ireland!

Just goes to emphasise how much incentive there was to win the group that was there for the taking at 8pm last night. 

Wales might now secretly be fancying their chances of reaching the final, given they're in the other half of the draw from Italy, Spain, Germany, France and England. The strongest teams in their half of the draw are probably Croatia and (if they finish second in their group) Belgium, who the Welsh beat in qualifying. 

5 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Wales might now secretly be fancying their chances of reaching the final, given they're in the other half of the draw from Italy, Spain, Germany, France and England. The strongest teams in their half of the draw are probably Croatia and (if they finish second in their group) Belgium, who the Welsh beat in qualifying. 

Should not forget Portugal can still win their group, and will end up in that half. Big incentive now for them to do so.

In fairness, a semi place would always be a success for us. To get that its going to be something like Hungary and France. However, Spain, Italy and Germany are playing for one semi spot.

Either way, still a huge opportunity missed as it has worked out.

Just to correct one of my boring stato points above.

The third place teams from groups B (Slovakia) and C (N Ireland) have certainly qualified. This reduced the possible permutations to six. In five of those NI play France, and in one perm they play Wales.

If Portugal finish second in their group, they will complete the 'set' with all six first seeded teams in the same half of the draw.

One other boring fact. Tonights results also confirm Hungary will be in the next round. They can still finish first, second or third, but in the latter case they already have enough points to be in the best four.

You will now be able to sleep tightly knowing that!

yes everyone will say If England won by scoring a sneaky goal from a corner or something, it wouldn't of been a wonder goal . So maybe playing a top team more earlier could actually be a positive and at least we may a team who attack and not just flipping park the bus!!!!

24 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Isn't this also slightly unfair on Italy, who have won their group but face a second placed team (who just happen to be Spain) whereas four of the other five group winners will play a third placed team?

Does feel harsh. Of the six winners, four play third placed teams, and two play second placed teams. The remaining four second place teams play each other. With six group winners, it also meant four would have to meet each other in the QFs, while two would not meet one until a semi. I would say it was the luck of the draw which one you got put in, but France were pre selected for one of the easier routes to meet a third place team first, then a winner of two second placed teams!

I do not like it, as apart from anything else it means a team in the last group could know that say a 2-1 defeat puts them through, but a 1-0 defeat does not.

Last point before I really bore you to death. I think tonights results are very good news for RoI. They must beat Italy, who know whatever they do they win their group and have a tough as nuts game v Spain next. That is the time to rest players and take it a bit easy Roy.

31 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Isn't this also slightly unfair on Italy, who have won their group but face a second placed team (who just happen to be Spain) whereas four of the other five group winners will play a third placed team?

I agree, although nobody should be playing any 3rd placed teams, because they should be out. 

How can anyone think that finishing 3rd in a group  of 4 is worthy of a place in the knockout stages is staggering. 

Bloody ridiculous.

So far, one of the best matches of the tournament.

Silva was probably the best player for Spain, but my MOTM was Ivan ''the terrible'' Perisic. :cool:

Ivan-Perisic-Roma-Inter.jpg

What can I say about England? Well...I think Rooney & co. played some good football (except for the 1st half against Wales), and even if they lacked precision in front of goal in some occasions, they were unlucky too.

Maybe Roy's boys will score more goals against less defensive teams.

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

I agree, although nobody should be playing any 3rd placed teams, because they should be out. 

How can anyone think that finishing 3rd in a group  of 4 is worthy of a place in the knockout stages is staggering. 

Bloody ridiculous.

If you think of it as the top 16 sides qualifying for the next stage, with 8 sides being "relegated" out of the competition, it's not that bad. At the end of the day it only gives you a pass into the second round, still three wins away from the final. The cream will still rise to the top.

Archived