IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Getting out that group is a great achievement for Ireland, full credit to them.

Tough as nuts group. Helped to be honest that Italy looked like they could not be arsed today, but no doubt either that Ireland gave it everything they had. 

Four British Isles teams in the last 16. Certainly one UK QF'ist and England will be favourite to make it two. 

Couple of days now with no footie. What to do!

I saw a stat the other day that there are 41 players at Euro 2016 who were born in England (22 of England's squad of 23, plus a few each that are in the squads for Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland). All of them are still in the tournament. It's a remarkable stat considering the relatively low percentage of English players in the premier league.

14 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

DpS8VzA.png

0 World cup wins, 0 Euro wins in the top half

11 World cup wins, 9 Euro wins in the bottom half!

You look at that and it's not inconceivable that Wales could make the semi-finals. I expect them to beat NI, and they've already beaten Belgium at home in qualifying and kept a clean sheet away. Not saying they would be favourites, but not impossible.

I would also add to that, that Roy's decision to make 6 changes v Slovakia has arguably cost us a great chance of going all the way to the final.

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

After that last minute goal, Portugal have probably done themselves a favour. Although they'll come up against a good Croatian side, they've got themselves into the favourable side of the draw. If that win that they could quite easily make it to the final. 

Really fancy the Croatians to turn Portugal over. Look good going forward and as always will be so up for it.

Better defence better midfield. The only fly in the ointment is of coarse the Ladyboy!!!

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You look at that and it's not inconceivable that Wales could make the semi-finals. I expect them to beat NI, and they've already beaten Belgium at home in qualifying and kept a clean sheet away. Not saying they would be favourites, but not impossible.

Ultimately, looking at that, a run to the final would consist of NI, say Belgium and then either Croatia or Portugal.

By no means saying they will, but they do have one of the best players in the world, who on his day can win matches. Still a long shot, but they may never get a better chance of going really deep in to a tournament, even a final.

Three of the British Isles teams have played football I recognise, to different levels of skill. They know how they will play, what formation they will use, and just give it everything. Name the odd one out.

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Ultimately, looking at that, a run to the final would consist of NI, say Belgium and then either Croatia or Portugal.

By no means saying they will, but they do have one of the best players in the world, who on his day can win matches. Still a long shot, but they may never get a better chance of going really deep in to a tournament, even a final.

Three of the British Isles teams have played football I recognise, to different levels of skill. They know how they will play, what formation they will use, and just give it everything. Name the odd one out.

I agree with everything you say except the very last bit. I don't think this England side are guilty of any lack of effort. Quality maybe, but not effort.

They have also had to contend with an overwhelmingly defensive setup by all three of their opponents (an observation, not an excuse). And this Welsh side that everyone is so keen to praise - we beat them!

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree with everything you say except the very last bit. I don't think this England side are guilty of any lack of effort. Quality maybe, but not effort.

Maybe, no lack of desire I agree with. Tourney football is difficult, Ireland gave it all today because they had to. Deep in their soul Italy must have known it made no difference. Equally, in what was it seems some heat, Ireland were still pushing right at the death, finding from somewhere a second wind. We looked knackered after 70 against Slovakia.

Italy made eight changes. No doubt looking at them, still man for man 'better' players than Ireland's. I am sure some of them wanted to make an impression. They were still a disjointed mess, Ireland were the better team. It is what happens often when you just stick on a whole pile of random good players. Kind of feels a little where we are at the moment.

I thought before a ball had been kicked no way would we be good enough to win it. Playing decently to get to a QF exit would be about par for showing progress. Take nothing for granted, but that still feels very likely.

Lets see what happens. Quite enjoyed it so far, and we are unbeaten. The one chance we do have is one or two of Ali, Vardey or Kane replicate some of their best form, and somebody has to beat us for us to go home.

Even if it is on penalties.

20 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Germany vs Spain could be one hell of a match for the quarters. 

Really, more like 2 old heavyweight boxers past their prime trading lazy blows. Spain without doubt on a downward turn after Euro & World dominance and I don't think Germany are all that. Let's hope I'm not seeing this quoted as the wiley Germans chin us in the Semi's :fingerscrossed:

11 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Really, more like 2 old heavyweight boxers past their prime trading lazy blows. Spain without doubt on a downward turn after Euro & World dominance and I don't think Germany are all that. Let's hope I'm not seeing this quoted as the wiley Germans chin us in the Semi's :fingerscrossed:

I have learned never to get my hopes up following England, but at the back of my mind I do look at France and Germany and think...have we not beaten them both recently?

Of course no comparison really between cups and friendlies, but there is always the hope. These cups over the years are full of teams that have not impressed in these early rounds, but somehow find a way to keep in it, and then hit their straps. It is football, there is always the dream.

24 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

At home. Worried that I'll have to stay home and not drink for all games from now on. Wonder if it'll work for City...

Might be in Dublin by Sunday so will be watching the France game in the local boozer, should be lively

Archived