IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

3 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Playing Croatia doesn't seem so favourable to me. 

No, I completely agree. But playing Croatia followed by some pretty mediocre teams en route to the final is probably easier than playing England, France and then Germany/Spain!

I think of it this way. On paper we should beat Iceland. To win a competition you have to beat the best teams. Assuming we beat Iceland we will need to beat two of the better teams in the tournament to reach the final. I am more concerned about beating Iceland than I am facing the likes of Germany or Spain or France. Spain and Germany are not the force they used to be and on our day I'm confident we can give them a good game. Against them we will be able to play our more natural game and we will have more clear cut goal scoring opportunities. Against Iceland we will once again find a bus parked on the goal line although at some point they will have to come at us and when they do we need to take those chances.

Iceland have worked their socks off to get this far. If we can't beat them in 90 minutes I would be confident that in extra time they would tire considerably. 

If we can get into the semis I can really see us making it into the final. These players will become heroes and be talked about for years to come. Much like the current Iceland, Wales, NI players will be. If we reach that point I can see us playing with the same passion, heart and desire as those teams I've just mentioned and that might just be enough to see us through.

Hold onto your seats folks, this story has only just begun to be written.

4 hours ago, cynic said:

Interesting to think that one of these teams will make the final;

Wales

NI

Poland

Hungary

Croatia

Portugal

Belgium

Switzerland

If only we had got a goal against Slovakia....

3 of those teams were each good enough to win their group, no reason that any of those are undeserving of a run to the final.  Still a stinker to have missed out on that side of the draw, mind.

10 hours ago, Super said:

So annoyed we didn't win that group, really anyone from the other side of the draw can reach the final.

If only we had equally seen out 1-0 v Russia.

On the other hand, if only...we had not got a late winner against Wales, we would have Germany next!

Ifs and buts.

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Why did Poland celebrate in front of the Swiss fans? All of them properly tried to rile them up. I've lost a bit of respect for them there.

Yeah I noticed that, it was a bit odd - they seemed to consciously run that way. it wasn`t a particularly dirty game or anything, no need for it really.

Archived