IGNORED

Gustav Engvall - It's Official - Signed

1891 B.C. Sweden

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

So, how can you be hung by it then?

The phrase is hist by your own petard, not hung by your own petard ( atlas not when I've heard it)

A petard was a bomb placed against castle walls or gates to blow a hole through. If you were too close when the petard went off you would be lifted up into the air i.e. hoist or hoisted by the explosion, hence the expression hoist by your own petard.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

The phrase is hist by your own petard, not hung by your own petard ( atlas not when I've heard it)

A petard was a bomb placed against castle walls or gates to blow a hole through. If you were too close when the petard went off you would be lifted up into the air i.e. hoist or hoisted by the explosion, hence the expression hoist by your own petard.

I  think it one of those phrase's that have got changed over the years, you know like "send us reinforcements we are going to advance"

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Hate to complicate this (non Gustav topic ahem) but effect can also be used as a verb.

Yes I know but it isn't used that often. I was trying to keep it quite simple. Now you've probably really confused the original poster or was that you. Now I'm confused. :blink:

I was just reading the Gothenburg forum via Google translate, the jist of what I could understand was that they see it as a good move all round as his career has stalled for them over the last year. Sounds like they are in need of money too so happy to sell

http://www.svenskafans.com/fotboll/ifkgoteborg/forum.aspx (chrome should offer to translate)

If he passed the medical today the deal will be announced tomorrow. Engvall flew to England over the day to get back in time to prepare for the U21 national game (a) against Croatia on Thursday. First contact with IFK Gothenburg was after lunch time last Sunday when CIty made a bid. Gothenburg was on the coach to play Helsingborg. At the time the game started negotiations started and when the game as over a deal was already agreed. Personal terms also concluded. Gothenburg is similar in size to Bristol and will fit him well coming from Swedish Polperro.

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

If he passed the medical today the deal will be announced tomorrow. Engvall flew to England over the day to get back in time to prepare for the U21 national game (a) against Croatia on Thursday. First contact with IFK Gothenburg was after lunch time last Sunday when CIty made a bid. Gothenburg was on the coach to play Helsingborg. At the time the game started negotiations started and when the game as over a deal was concluded. Personal terms also agreed. Gothenburg is similar in size to Bristol and will fit him well coming from Swedish Polperro

Is he a good player?

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He's got pace and is extremely direct. Well man managed in team with a good spirit he will come good.  

He's not got the best goalscoring record, though realise he's young.

Is he similar to Kodjia, or a different type of player?

12 minutes ago, samo II said:

He's not got the best goalscoring record, though realise he's young.

Is he similar to Kodjia, or a different type of player?

Look at Transfermarkt....his minutes played suggests subbed on or off a fair bit.  36 in 82 if you look at it a bit differently.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gustav-engvall/leistungsdaten/spieler/248024/plus/0?saison=ges

This is the one I want. Seems like a player with good potential. This is the kind of player I want the squad full of. Young and hungry. Willing to learn the game and fight for their shot because if they get it, they could be worth £15m. Ridding the squad of the Williams, Ayling, and Agards and replacing with Moores and Engvalls. Sign Engvall and maybe a slightly more ready Kodjia replacement and we will be challenging that top 8 every bit of the way. 

I´m sad to say that i don´t think he will be a good signing! But i hope i have wrong!

He doesn´t start for Gothenburg and i think he has only scored 8 goals in 2 seasons!

I have checked with some of the Gothenburg supporters i know and they are really happy for the money they got for him!

But as i said before, i really hope i´m wrong!

On the other side it´s nice to have a Swedish player in the team!

3 minutes ago, BCFC OF SWEDEN said:

I´m sad to say that i don´t think he will be a good signing! But i hope i have wrong!

He doesn´t start for Gothenburg and i think he has only scored 8 goals in 2 seasons!

I have checked with some of the Gothenburg supporters i know and they are really happy for the money they got for him!

Kodj hadn't scored many before coming here! No one can defend properly in England!

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We've got a Swedish international!

Welcome back Tommy.

Are you short of striking options at International level then? Seems someone must rate him considering the number of caps at all levels so far?

(sorry meant to quote BCFC of Sweden as below)

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you short of striking options at International level then? Seems someone must rate him considering the number of caps at all levels so far?

(sorry meant to quote BCFC of Sweden as below)

I think they have been, they have relied on Ibrahimavich for years. With a solid midfield and defence to support him. 

Long gone are the days of dahlin brolin and larsson

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

This is the one I want. Seems like a player with good potential. This is the kind of player I want the squad full of. Young and hungry. Willing to learn the game and fight for their shot because if they get it, they could be worth £15m. Ridding the squad of the Williams, Ayling, and Agards and replacing with Moores and Engvalls. Sign Engvall and maybe a slightly more ready Kodjia replacement and we will be challenging that top 8 every bit of the way. 

"Ridding" is a bit harsh for really good servants in the three you mentioned.  Not like they were taking a huge wage and taking the pi$$ were they.  They represented a successful period in the club's history, and Ayling and Williams in particular contributed to last season's difficult Champ survival campaign....Agard didn't get much of a chance.

I'm really optimistic for Moore, know bugger all about Engvall, and whilst I totally agree that this recruitment policy is bang-on, let's see how they settle in, and how they cope in the first team before flippantly disregarding the contributions of players who ultimately we've made a bit if money on too, which helps funds the Moore's, Engvall's, O'Dowda's, DeGirolama's etc.  None of the three were holding a gun to the club's head about inflated contracts.

The above isn't particularly aimed at you Joe, more that we "fans" should pay a little more courtesy to players who've done their best for our club.  Ayling, especially was a real favourite with the fans, and made a huge effort with them back.

Archived