IGNORED

Gustav Engvall - It's Official - Signed

1891 B.C. Sweden

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

Thanks. So we're hypothesising that to complete his "smashing out of the park" of this transfer deadline, Mark Ashton has tied up all the replacements for JK yesterday before his deal was public, and currently has his feet up, waiting for a quiet period on Sky Sports News to issue the announcements?

There are definitely two "photo" sessions on the webcam around 9.00 and 10.00 yesterday.......these conceivably could be Engvall if reports are to be believed and possibly Ekstrand who has been/is still training with us.

That would leave most of yesterday and today for the club to finalise a JK replacement? 

42 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Exactly, so why haven't they announced anything yet then?  You'd think they'd have have released the news when it was announced that Kodjia was leaving...

They are trying to make deadline day more exciting for us.

Release one name around mid-dayish, then one around teatime and leave a third one, the most exciting one, until 10.59pm.

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

Don't want to rain on your parade, but maybe Abrahams was Kodjia's replacement, any signing today is Agard's replacement i.e Engvall?

That still only leaves us with two strikers. I'm not counting Wilbs as one of them, he's just a lump to throw around for 5 minutes at the end of the game.

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Don't want to rain on your parade, but maybe Abrahams was Kodjia's replacement, any signing today is Agard's replacement i.e Engvall?

I mean considering that we only have Abraham and a creaking Wilbraham as first team strikers (Garita to Argyle), Tomlin more commonly playing as an attacking midfielder. I doubt we'd stop at three, any team would want 4.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

That still only leaves us with two strikers. I'm not counting Wilbs as one of them, he's just a lump to throw around for 5 minutes at the end of the game.

How very irreverent to the elder statesman of the squad. May not have the stamina or the speed he would have had in former years but still a very useful late sub whether chasing the game or closing it up.

And also a very good influence in the dressing room for all the under twenty fives who still need to gain experience at this level.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

I mean considering that we only have Abraham and a creaking Wilbraham as first team strikers (Garita to Argyle), Tomlin more commonly playing as an attacking midfielder. I doubt we'd stop at three, any team would want 4.

Assuming a 4-2-3-1 formation, you could argue 3's enough plus of course the ability to recall Burns / Garita. Trying to place both Abrahams and Kodjia in the starting line up was a problem (with Kodjia moved to an unfamiliar attacking right midfield role) , so might LJ be tempted to avoid the same problem repeating itself?

Personally would be happy if they sign Harry Kane or Jamie Vardy, but not holding breath

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Assuming a 4-2-3-1 formation, you could argue 3's enough plus of course the ability to recall Burns / Garita. Trying to place both Abrahams and Kodjia in the starting line up was a problem (with Kodjia moved to an unfamiliar attacking right midfield role) , so might LJ be tempted to avoid the same problem repeating itself?

Personally would be happy if they sign Harry Kane or Jamie Vardy, but not holding breath

Abraham Abraham Abraham. Ahem, now that's dealt with.

I think with LJ you can't assume a formation. That formation could quite well have come about because of our squad and the opponents. Benitez said that LJ is so dangerous because of how flexible his teams are.

After the Kodjia transfer LJ said he wanted 1, and maybe 2 strikers to come in. So ideally he'd like 2, getting them before 11pm however is another matter.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Abraham Abraham Abraham. Ahem, now that's dealt with.

I think with LJ you can't assume a formation. That formation could quite well have come about because of our squad and the opponents. Benitez said that LJ is so dangerous because of how flexible his teams are.

After the Kodjia transfer LJ said he wanted 1, and maybe 2 strikers to come in. So ideally he'd like 2, getting them before 11pm however is another matter.

Agree with the flexibility we have now in terms of formations , not sure if that will translate in to a new named striker, but lets hope so. 

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

How very irreverent to the elder statesman of the squad. May not have the stamina or the speed he would have had in former years but still a very useful late sub whether chasing the game or closing it up.

And also a very good influence in the dressing room for all the under twenty fives who still need to gain experience at this level.

Good influence around the squad will not score us goals though. I may come across a little harsh and perhaps I could have worded it better but I still think we need two more forwards in!

Abraham has been taken out of U20 duty. Know he limped off at the end of the Villa game a bit. The striker situation is fragile and need at least 1 in today but preferably 2. It's LJ's job to fit players in and he's spoken about wanting 2. So if he wants two, why are some questioning it? 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Good influence around the squad will not score us goals though. I may come across a little harsh and perhaps I could have worded it better but I still think we need two more forwards in!

I agree with two. Any more and we are paying good money for bench warmers and blocking a route for any Academy boys who suddenly become world beaters.

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Doubt it. Abraham was long in the making and Kodjia was right as rain until last week.

So Villa cynically timed their bid to coincide with their game here, knowing this might mess with his head a bit? If so, makes Saturday's win all the sweeter

16 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Doubt it. Abraham was long in the making and Kodjia was right as rain until last week.

The Kodjia "is off" thread started in June, think LJ probably knew more than us, also Kodjia delinked himself from us on his Social media sites a few weeks ago. I suspect LJ knew of at least the possibility of this happening and had his plans in place over the summer. 

35 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Garita would be recalled this season to play for the first team.

58 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I don't think an 18 year old loanee, no matter how good he is, was Kodjia's intended replacement. It's too much pressure for an 18 year old who's never played a full season of football. It would've been a negligent and naive decision. Abraham was bought in to supplement Kodjia, not replace him.

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

Bas Savage did, but no I don't, I would be happy to see Burns get a go though.

What, as a replacement for a 20 goal forward who's just left for £15m? I'm all for young players getting a go, but we'd be a far weaker team if that happened. He's not ready yet or good enough in my opinion. Done reasonably well at Aberdeen, but hasn't exactly been fantastic at a lower standard.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think an 18 year old loanee, no matter how good he is, was Kodjia's intended replacement. It's too much pressure for an 18 year old who's never played a full season of football. It would've been a negligent and naive decision. Abraham was bought in to supplement Kodjia, not replace him.

And according to Chelsea is valued at £20 million, some supplement.

PS Excuse all the posts, saw on another thread you get serious abuse if you only have 19 or so previous posts, need to up my outage quickly before anyone notices, so please keep this to yourself, I don't want the others knowing.

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And according to Chelsea is valued at £20 million, some supplement.

PS Excuse all the posts, saw on another thread you get serious abuse if you only have 19 or so previous posts, need to up my outage quickly before anyone notices, so please keep this to yourself, I don't want the others knowing.

It's irrelevant what Chelsea value him at; that is because of his potential. I didn't realise there was an official public valuation they'd made anyway! He might not be physically or mentally strong enough for a full season at men's football. He'd made a couple of sub appearances for Chelsea, the rest was youth football. It could have horribly backfired, he was bought in to supplement our options, not replace them. 

No one is abusing you, disagreeing is different. 

Archived