IGNORED

Hope everyone has calmed down now...

spudski

How do people think we would have done if we'd gone out with a cynical shutting the game down approach to the second half? I know it's not LJ's style but do you think we would have carried it off? Would people have preferred that we tried to be a bit cleverer about it?

3 minutes ago, RedSA said:

How do people think we would have done if we'd gone out with a cynical shutting the game down approach to the second half? I know it's not LJ's style but do you think we would have carried it off? Would people have preferred that we tried to be a bit cleverer about it?

I don't think that we have the quality or type of player to do that.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Speaking for myself but I think others will feel the same. Think the disappointment comes from seeing a young exciting team. I think belief was building(still should be) that this team can push the top 6. It's a very young team so these things will happen. I expect some odd results over the next 10-12 games but I think we'll hit a good stretch of games in mid December where we will win a fair share of. We've had about as tough a start to the season schedule wise which continues Saturday. So all in all, I agree with the OP that we are fine but it's ok to feel a bit down as well. The squad is coming together nicely and the play is starting to get there. Some mistakes at the bad need suring up but I think it's tougher for defendes to get up to speed in a season. It's still a new CB pairing and our second choice RB. It'll be fine soon enough. 

Not from me to be honest, especially after selling Kodjia and not replacing him. We're currently heavily reliant on an 18 year old loanee and have no depth in the striking department behind him.

At the beginning of the season the general consensus was that properly 'competing' in this division and being mid-table would be a good achievement and I don't see why a few early wins and performances have now meant people think we'll be challenging for a top 6 spot.

It's pretty much nailed on Norwich and Newcastle will be top two and I am convinced Villa will get it together and be top 6. That leaves a measly 3 places in the top 6 up for grabs and there are several teams much more advanced in their development as a squad than us who'll be challenging for those places.

We may exceed expectations but the defence is still a cause of concern that will take time to sort and Tammy aside I don't believe we have quite enough goals in us to remedy issues at the back for time being.

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

@exAtyeoMax I'd like to know why Flint didn't follow his man when he came out to collect the ball.

I'm wondering if Flint has called for Korey to cover it, but then realised Korey was positioned correctly to cover the no.41....it's then too late, too much room, turned and goal.

That would make sense when you look at Korey's body language and reaction in the lead up to the move...knowing it was too late to do anything. Must have looked like a car crash in slow motion from his position.

I don't know, I've only seen the clip posted last night…they all looked very static to me, gave SW too much time and space and didn't react quick enough. I don't really want to watch the highlights:blink:

Having just watched it agin, Korey is miles away, Flinty is caught in no-mans land

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

There was plenty to be happy about with the performance last night as we were the better team at 11 v 11, but equally there are some points of concern. Overall I think it's been a pretty solid start to the season and the exciting thing is that this team is clearly still a work in progress

The thing that worries me about last night is the capitulation that occurred after the GON sending off. Was that because we're relatively inexperienced or does it speak of a lack of character in the squad? 

I also feel there are consistency issues in our performance- not from game to game but from minute to minute

Can't we put the inconsistance down to young players and a team  that is still settling in ? 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Surprised people are questioning the character of the side. Back from behind v Wigan, Burton and Villa to claim 3 points, back from behind against Rotherham in the last minute to get a point all versus a bad 30 minutes after some freak events and a home crowd gee'd up. I say we still have credit in the bank as far as 'character' is concerned. 

Exactly. And the lesson to be taken from last night is you could be two nil down at home, totally outclassed and watching for the ball to go in the net for the third, when a lucky bounce puts you on your way to winning the game. It's not over till it's over, great when you win such matches. So cruel when you don't. But that why we love football.

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

"Never a foul"

Should never have made such a stupid tackle and gave the ref that opportunity. 100% his own stupid fault 

Or let their player have a free run and a scoring opportunity.

How many times have our midfield stood by and watched as the opposition waltz by and score ? 

Now an experienced midfielder gets a fair tackle in , is wrongly carded and you criticise him ! 

:disapointed2se:

It's a measure of what a different prospect we are from a year ago that we are all gutted to narrowly lose an away game at one of the bigger clubs in the division. 

Personally I'd have been more worried if we'd gone down 1-0 having never created real chances.

Johnson will learn from this and we have the tools in the box to tighten the defence and make us harder to score against. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ is certainly exasperated but definitely not satisfied and who can blame him? I'd even add frustrated to those feelings.

It was a second half disaster not helped by GoN sending off and of course the penalty miss leading up to it.

LJ looked ready to burst in post match interview but managed to contain his anger. I'm glad I'm not one of the players he's pissed off with.......

Yeah makes sense considering how his daddy showed you right up, least you've learned your lesson. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Can't we put the inconsistance down to young players and a team  that is still settling in ? 

There was still plenty of experience and players with hundreds of appearances out there last night. Only Magnusson and Abraham have very limited experience in pro 'mens' football and neither of them could be blamed for last night. In fact the mistakes came from more experienced players like Flint, O'Donnell and possibly O'Neill and Pack, all of whom have hundreds of appearances to their name.

Just a night of individual errors that cost us unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ looked ready to burst in post match interview but managed to contain his anger. I'm glad I'm not one of the players he's pissed off with.......

One of them must be Flint. He was at fault for Fletchers free header direct from a corner. Conceding like that must infuriate the coaching staff.

Maybe Flint has become complacent in being first choice CB and a spell out of the team would just remind him that he's not irreplaceable.

LJ has other CB options. Ekstrand or Moore could step in.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

... mid table, 3 wins, 1 Draw, 3 losses.

2 points off play off place.

Positive GD

Championship top scorer on board.

Not being outplayed by anyone. Bossing many games.

Many good teams in this division below us...and struggling.

We've had two games with freak errors.

As both managers said yesterday...the Pen miss was crucial...as was the sending off.

When do you ever see a penalty rebound off the post to the half way line?

The sending off...debateable...apparently won the ball cleanly.

Keeper could have done better...as could Flint.

Yes it's been a roller coaster and frustrating...but tbh, because we have played so well, many people's expectations have risen, and the bench mark set higher it seems.

After 7 games, you would have taken mid table. You would have also been pleased with the majority of our play and pleasantly surprised....Wouldn't you?

A young team, still building...you are going to get games like this in this league.

It's a shame...the pen goes in, it would have been a different story.

Plenty of positives still. At least you don't follow Cardiff eh ;-)

Very true, but as I said on an earlier thread, with 30 seconds to go I would have taken a point even though it would have felt under the circumstances like a defeat, but our goalkeeper who had had already made one balls up manages to kick from his hands directly into touch and the rest as they say is history, it's unprofessional and i'm sure LJ agrees with that.

Agreed plenty of positives but last night just goes to show the new BCFC can revert to the old BCFC at any time, when Wednesdays first goal went in I suspect many on OTIB'd first thought was "here we go" and I also suspect that when Tomlin stepped up to take the penalty many on here were not over confident that he would score, that is the nature of supporting BCFC.

To be entirely fair to LJ the last 2 games have proved that no matter how good you have the team playing and they seem to have been playing really well indeed, if individual players make unprofessional decisions, make horrendous mistakes or do not carry out the instructions of the manager, no manager can legislate for that but LJ expects much better and I believe it's the mental side that must be the most worrying aspect, he must have been very angry to say 'some players crumbled' and I suspect one or more of the substitutes never adhered to the instructions given to them on the night. I expect Saturday's team selection to be revealing in one way or another.

But hey ho, my big worry was touched on by Slarti last night Derby have scored 1 goal all season, who on here would bet against them scoring 3 against us Saturday, because that's the nature of supporting BCFC.

@Esmond Million's Bung Good points mate...and I concur with many of them.

I've spoken this morning to someone who is involved up at Sheffield. They had planned to attack us down the flanks apparently. at the break they decided to attack more centrally and put pressure on Flint. Interesting they did that, and what they saw to make them do that, he didn't know the reason. His words were along the lines of 'two good CB's at this level, but it's obvious they are a new partnership and haven't got an understanding yet. Rotherham apparently picked up on this as well according to him.

It's not something we don't already know...but it hasn't looked so obvious to me tbh.

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

"Never a foul"

Should never have made such a stupid tackle and gave the ref that opportunity. 100% his own stupid fault 

I don't understand why we're criticising a player for making a successful tackle that took the ball for which he was then unjustly dismissed.  If he lunges for a player with the ball nowhere near him, it's a stupid tackle.  If he believes he can win the ball and is proven right by doing just that, how is he anything other than highly unfortunate?  And if the referee made an incorrect decision how can it possibly be "100%" his own fault?

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've spoken this morning to someone who is involved up at Sheffield. They had planned to attack us down the flanks apparently. at the break they decided to attack more centrally and put pressure on Flint. Interesting they did that, and what they saw to make them do that, he didn't know the reason. His words were along the lines of 'two good CB's at this level, but it's obvious they are a new partnership and haven't got an understanding yet. Rotherham apparently picked up on this as well according to him.

It's not something we don't already know...but it hasn't looked so obvious to me tbh.

That may be the case and sounds feasible, however up until GON being sent off they never really appeared to be hurting us too much down the middle, after he was sent off it seems to me we 'crumbled' in the middle midfield area and they battered us putting that extra pressure on our centre backs, without GON our centre midfield is IMHO technically poor, backing off, missing runners and that causes either them or our defence to make rash challenges in and around our box, I think that it has been a problem now for over 18 months.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

In fairness yes Flint looks like an absolute plum for that third goal but he was left horribly, horribly exposed and we have always known that if you isolate him like that putting him in a 1-on-1 situation, more often than not he will get done.

I'd be looking at Korey Smith for the last two goals to be honest, perhaps not a good time to bring him back into the fold!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Or let their player have a free run and a scoring opportunity.

How many times have our midfield stood by and watched as the opposition waltz by and score ? 

Now an experienced midfielder gets a fair tackle in , is wrongly carded and you criticise him ! 

:disapointed2se:

A free run and a scoring opportunity?

It was in the Sheffield half!

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't understand why we're criticising a player for making a successful tackle that took the ball for which he was then unjustly dismissed.  If he lunges for a player with the ball nowhere near him, it's a stupid tackle.  If he believes he can win the ball and is proven right by doing just that, how is he anything other than highly unfortunate?  And if the referee made an incorrect decision how can it possibly be "100%" his own fault?

Because I don't believe there was any need for him to go to ground in that situation.  The play was in their half....it's not like he was through on goal and we needed a last ditch tackle. 

Why put yourself in a situation where the ref can send you off?

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I dared to dream.

I dared to dream that Bristol City had really turned the corner and for the first time in a very long time, I could see something good happening at City. I was beginning to believe that the continual underachievement was a thing of the past.

But after the last two matches, only a few miles apart in South Yorkshire, I'm not sure that we have.

We concede two schoolboy goals to Rotherham, who are quickly becoming acknowledged as a very poor team,

We have over thirty shots on goal but only manage two when chasing the game.

At Wednesday, we build a two goal lead at half time. Admittedly, a two goal lead is well known as the worst lead in football; do you go for more goals or sit on it? We cannot do either.

We leave a Scottish International striker unmarked at a corner for Wednesday's first.

Tomlin smashes a penalty against a post and we are still 2-1 against ten instead of 3-1 against ten.

O'Neil makes a stupid tackle from behind and we're down to ten.

A goalkeeping howler for the second.

Keeper kicks ball out of play with thirty seconds left, instead of playing keep ball.

Wednesday player is totally unchallenged as he gets the winner.

We are now 12th instead of 5th. Unless the whole squad are totally impervious to setbacks, we could have a lack of confidence syndrome coming.

The next game is at home against a team who sit 20th with one goal scored that gave them their only win out of seven games. The team is Derby, and we've lost five and drawn once in our last six matches with them.

Anyone care to argue the case that we will "give" them their second win of the season?

I have to stop dreaming and face the reality of my sixty seven years as a City fan? 

67 years a City fan will mean that you have built a strong character and know how to handle the nightmare situations that our team manage to offer at times....but please NEVER stop dreaming. Things are really very much better than they have been!

11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Because I don't believe there was any need for him to go to ground in that situation.  The play was in their half....it's not like he was through on goal and we needed a last ditch tackle. 

Why put yourself in a situation where the ref can send you off?

I agree especially given the unwritten referee law of wanting to even things up at the earliest opportunity 'look at me i'm consistent'.

Poor judgement.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Great OP @spudski

We're 12th after 7 tough games.  With 10 points that is an average of 1.42 points per game - or 66 points over a 46 game season.  4 points from the next two games will maintain that average.

66 would have finished 9th last year.

I still reckon we are on for a top 10 finish.  

39 games left to go.

And we've already played two/three teams who are favourites for promotion.

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

And we've already played two/three teams who are favourites for promotion.

I go to experimental361's website a fair bit.  The guy is a statistician and works a bit with Paddy Power - but this is his own website.  At the start of the season he put together a table showing the relative predicted difficulty of each teams fixtures.  This is what he said about us: "It looks like Bristol City have a tough start – they have to play five of the six most-fancied sides in their first eight fixtures – so Robins fans shouldn’t be too dejected if they are lingering near the drop zone in September."

I am not too dejected at 12th with one of those first eight to go.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not from me to be honest, especially after selling Kodjia and not replacing him. We're currently heavily reliant on an 18 year old loanee and have no depth in the striking department behind him.

At the beginning of the season the general consensus was that properly 'competing' in this division and being mid-table would be a good achievement and I don't see why a few early wins and performances have now meant people think we'll be challenging for a top 6 spot.

It's pretty much nailed on Norwich and Newcastle will be top two and I am convinced Villa will get it together and be top 6. That leaves a measly 3 places in the top 6 up for grabs and there are several teams much more advanced in their development as a squad than us who'll be challenging for those places.

We may exceed expectations but the defence is still a cause of concern that will take time to sort and Tammy aside I don't believe we have quite enough goals in us to remedy issues at the back for time being.

I agree fully with this post especially the striking options, I believe that is the one area that has been poorly managed but also we will at some stage have to move away from the BCFC excuses of "did anyone believe that we would get a result against them?", "well they are one of the better teams in the division". LJ won't hide behind those excuses and I think that being 2-0 and pretty much taking a team apart for 45 minutes entitles people to ask what went wrong in the 2nd half.

Our problem in a nutshell and has been for the best part of 18 months is, we are a Jekyll and Hyde team, last night we played very well in the first half and the same at Norwich but usually we play well in the 2nd half of games, we just seem incapable of 2 consistent halves of football and that must be a source of worry to LJ, we seem to lose concentration and sit farther and farther back and then the centre midfield allows themselves to be bullied and that fear seems to spread throughout the team, we struggle to kill games off and struggle to see games through from a winning position.

I see all of the positives from 12 months ago and realise how much we have progressed and the quality that we have in our squad and LJ has impressed in a way that I never believed possible when he was appointed, I love his honesty, I love his ability to make big decisions before and during games and stand or fall by those decisions, I have never believed in wrapping players up in cotton wool his handling of the Matthews situation was great in my view, players are well paid and if they act in an unprofessional way the fans deserve to be told in the same way as telling that he believes that certain players crumbled last night, he doesn't need to tell us who they were but hopefully the Saturday team selection will give us a clue.

Archived