IGNORED

Get lost Freeman. Now Confirmed, joined QPR.

WhistleHappy

2 hours ago, Sizzler said:

Strangest thing is QPR wanting him.  Very unlikely he will get any better.  Been nothing but average last 18 months except that lucky volley.  The fact it was his only goal at Ashton Gate backs that up.  Thanks Luke for 14/15, last year and this I've seen nothing.  He's peaked!

They've got a team full of overpaid average players so why not add to it. 

All sounds like a big mess, LF has hardly been stunning at this level, but clearly has ability and probably needs a change. Let's just hope all parties can act with dignity and sort things out one way or another, he was such a key player in our promotion season that I can't feel any ill will towards him.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Interesting change of tactic from LJ if he said that. 

Sounds awfully like he wants to deflect fan pressure away from himself to me. 

Any player that refuses to wear the badge can get going . Freeman was great in the promotion season but has been found wanting at Championship level. Very clever of Olly to get involved and try and stoke it up. 

Ffs don't get me wrong not really a Johnson fan but the only thing can have a pop at is maybe his comment about not playing, freeman not being offered a new contract in the summer was maybe because Johnson wasn't sure if was cut out for the championship,so wanted to wait, which makes sense to me unlike previous when we had players on long contracts and couldn't get rid 

12 hours ago, Bowie said:

Today's news...well it's as unexpected as it is surprising, LJ has publically said a few times Freeman won't play unless he signs contract so for me, Johnsons comments are confusing and a contradiction to his previous, a manager under pressure who will deflect the blame anywhere to stop questions being about him.

Exactly. Johnson said  previously that he knew how SL felt and that freeman would not play unless a new contract was signed. Nothing wrong with this either! However now don't turn around and blame for a decision taken at bored level! yet another LJ deflection its everyone else not me!

9 hours ago, stokes7 said:

Ffs don't get me wrong not really a Johnson fan but the only thing can have a pop at is maybe his comment about not playing, freeman not being offered a new contract in the summer was maybe because Johnson wasn't sure if was cut out for the championship,so wanted to wait, which makes sense to me unlike previous when we had players on long contracts and couldn't get rid 

That's not really a good excuse because even if he wasn't cut out for the Championship there would be quite a few suitors in League 1 who know what he can do at that level and recognise his part in our double winning side , like Agard for example.

Genuine question, and I know I'm being naive but I'd really appreciate someone explaining this to me:

It seems players often refuse to play but don't put a transfer request in so as to still get the additional money. Why don't teams word contracts to make clear that refusing to fulfil your obligation to the team when selected is seen as effectively the same thing as putting a transfer request in and thus you then forfeit that additional money. It seems both Kodjia and Freeman effectively put transfer requests in by refusing to play, and this seems to happen at other clubs, so why don't clubs word their contracts to avoid that? 

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Genuine question, and I know I'm being naive but I'd really appreciate someone explaining this to me:

It seems players often refuse to play but don't put a transfer request in so as to still get the additional money. Why don't teams word contracts to make clear that refusing to fulfil your obligation to the team when selected is seen as effectively the same thing as putting a transfer request in and thus you then forfeit that additional money. It seems both Kodjia and Freeman effectively put transfer requests in by refusing to play, and this seems to happen at other clubs, so why don't clubs word their contracts to avoid that? 

Probably because no one would sign it i guess.

I really don't get how football players can just say you know what i don't feel like playing(working) today so i'm not going to. Your under contract for god sake, If selected then you play. What will happen if any of us went into work tomorrow and just goes oh boss don't feel like working today so i'm going home see you in a week or two.

11 minutes ago, cityboy99 said:

I really don't get how football players can just say you know what i don't feel like playing(working) today so i'm not going to. Your under contract for god sake, If selected then you play. What will happen if any of us went into work tomorrow and just goes oh boss don't feel like working today so i'm going home see you in a week or two.

Agree totally that if selected you should play, but the mitigating circumstances here are that Freeman has been told he won't play until he signs a contract.  I have some sympathy for Luke. 

There is merit in the Peterborough model.  If you get to one year out from contract end, they transfer list you.

Freeman is entitled to let his contract run down.  He doesn't need to accept City's offer.

Other clubs can try and sign him during this window, as long as 1) they meet the asking price City want and 2) Freeman can agree personal terms.

The crux of this is that City haven't offered him the deal he wants to make him want to stay, or he wants out full stop (in which case why bother offering him a deal).

Up until Johnson went public (foolishly imho) and left him out, Freeman had been playing ok (imho), and was putting in a good shift.  Why jeopardise that?  Why not keep your reasons for dropping Luke secret.  Let the fans put 2 and 2 together if they like.  Freeman isn't one to start going public is he.  A lot of supporters would probably think that Freeman's dropping was the right decision anyway.  Johnson just made life difficult for himself.  That;s inexperience.

You cant compare it to most of our jobs.  Even those of us that contract for a living (me included) know it's a different world to footballers.

Freeman was superb in our promotion season but didn't make the step up last year. He has improved this year and showed signs that he is capable at this level. Having said that he still hasn't really contributed goals/assists at this level so I would have thought his contribution could be easily replaced. 

As for wanting to leave I don't really blame him. Johnson doesn't play with width and tinkers with his attacking midfielders too much. Perhaps QPR have offered to play him more centrally (in the tomlin role)?

18 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Freeman was superb in our promotion season but didn't make the step up last year. He has improved this year and showed signs that he is capable at this level. Having said that he still hasn't really contributed goals/assists at this level so I would have thought his contribution could be easily replaced. 

As for wanting to leave I don't really blame him. Johnson doesn't play with width and tinkers with his attacking midfielders too much. Perhaps QPR have offered to play him more centrally (in the tomlin role)?

And importantly, he's only just 24, so his best years as a player are probably ahead of him. He is likely to improve. 

That said, if QPR wanted to play him in a central midfield role, they'd be welcome.  He'd only run around across the line with his head down until he got in a cul-de-sac and lost the ball.

The lad's a natural winger,  although he's rarely been played in that role.  If QPR were to play him down the wing - which most managers would - we certainly shouldn't be selling him to them: they are only a few places above us. Why help your rivals? 

I accept he will leave sooner or later however, and I think that means LJ now has to get in another player who can play wide left to replace him. We need more than just Bryan and O'Dowda.

Lee Johnson on Freeman 14 January:

“The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

“I’m not for one minute saying that Luke is not committed, but there’s clearly a lot going through his mind at the moment.

Lee Johnson on Freeman 28 January:

"He didn't feel he was mentally right to play and that tells a story in itself. It's disappointing because you want your best players to be available."

"He's made it clear he wants to move on and that one is still pending so we'll have to see what happens between now and Tuesday."

Applying some logic to this:

On 14 January, Johnson tells Freeman that he has too much on his mind to play.

Two weeks on, Johnson says it is disappointing that Freeman says he was not mentally right to play.

If somebody can explain why a player is likely to be more likely to be mentally right to play, after your manager has dropped you for exercising your right not to sign a contract extension, and the manager has told the player he is not mentally right to play, and the player has now made it clear he does not want to be here, I'd love to hear it.

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

“The contract remains there for him to sign but he hasn’t yet. In a derby I just felt that I couldn’t risk having anyone out there who may not have been committed.

“I’m not for one minute saying that Luke is not committed, but there’s clearly a lot going through his mind at the moment.

"He didn't feel he was mentally right to play and that tells a story in itself. It's disappointing because you want your best players to be available."

"He's made it clear he wants to move on and that one is still pending so we'll have to see what happens between now and Tuesday."

Two weeks on, Johnson says it is disappointing that Freeman says he was not mentally right to play.

If somebody can explain why a player is likely to be more likely to be mentally right to play, after your manager has dropped you for exercising your right not to sign a contract extension, and the manager has told the player he is not mentally right to play, and the player has now made it clear he does not want to be here, I'd love to hear it.

You're still going then. 

4 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

You're still going then. 

You're still reading then.

Think it's only right that a manager slagging of one of his players should be pulled up for the inconsistency with what he is saying.

My agenda being that Johnson is a hopeless manager and should be sacked as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You're still reading then.

Think it's only right that a manager slagging of one of his players should be pulled up for the inconsistency with what he is saying.

My agenda being that Johnson is a hopeless manager and should be sacked as soon as possible.

Haven't got a problem with LJ going in fact I would welcome it. But a couple of points .

1. He is not a manager he is a coach.

2. He has nothing to do do with contract negotiations that my friend is Mr DNA Ashtons bag . So has it crossed your mind that Johnson maybe just doing as he was told as any half decent employee should.?

3. As pointed out by countless other people, the moment Freeman said I don't want to play ( but still want to get paid ) he loses all respect and credibility. 

4 hours ago, cityboy99 said:

My thoughts, plus he is a very rich young man, paid well by us, you would think he might feel a bit committed to fulfilling his contract and play a game of football when asked. Makes you want to give up football for good , little brat.

If he refuses to play, I see no reason why the club needs to pay him, or provide him with training at all (why let him train with the u23s?). let him sit at home or keep his own fitness up until his contract ends.

If a player wants to leave, that is their choice and I have no ill feeling to them,  but they should carry on doing their job until they do leave.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

You're (presumably deliberately) missing the entire point here - which is that only one of the two people you mention should be able to decide whether or not the other plays, or doesn't play, in a football match. 

It is unforgivable for a player to make themselves unavailable for selection unless in the event of severe personal circumstances. 

Players the length and breadth of the country have problems with their manager, making yourself unavailable for selection is an absolute no go and it's hilarious that you're so anti-Johnson that you're trying to justify it. 

There is no justification for it. It's been done because he wants to force a move before the summer without having to hand in a transfer request and thus receive a loyalty payment. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You're (presumably deliberately) missing the entire point here - which is that only one of the two people you mention should be able to decide whether or not the other plays, or doesn't play, in a football match. 

It is unforgivable for a player to make themselves unavailable for selection unless in the event of severe personal circumstances. 

Players the length and breadth of the country have problems with their manager, making yourself unavailable for selection is an absolute no go and it's hilarious that you're so anti-Johnson that you're trying to justify it. 

There is no justification for it. It's been done because he wants to force a move before the summer without having to hand in a transfer request and thus receive a loyalty payment. 

Listen I agree with a sone of what you have to sAy.. 

My main point is that Johnson has handled it badly because he s a shit manager.

Just now, NickJ said:

Listen I agree with a sone of what you have to sAy.. 

My main point is that Johnson has handled it badly because he s a shit manager.

Whereas if it was any other manager than Johnson your main point would be outrage at Freeman's actions.

You, personally, do not, and cannot, know that 'Johnson has handled it badly' is a fair assumption of the scenario. Unless you're Luke or Lee (I have an inkling you might not be Lee ;) )

You (and everyone else not immediately connected to the club) probably know about 1% of the actual detail of the situation. No doubt Ashton and Lansdown have been involved also, in addition to an agent and countless other parties, so how can you lay the blame solely at LJ's door without knowing the full situation? 

The answer is you can't, and if this exact same scenario happened under Cotterill your vitriol would be directed at the player. 

23 hours ago, glos old boy said:

If I was Luke reading this rubbish I`d be gone already, shame undoubted talent caught in a sh1tstorm that is this club right now.

He has talent. Never done it yet in the Championship for us. Flog him. Disgusting he has refused to be involved . 

18 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We got out moneys worth out of freeman he was a good signing and a good player.

Its a sad state of affairs when skeletor and qpr are genuinely a better proposition for him than the mess were in here. 

How many players have developed under johnson? He's a poor coach everyone seems to be getting worse. 

how many players have we ever signed and made better?

Archived