IGNORED

Worst. Game. Ever.

Benjam!n Ultra

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

What did you expect? Us to go on a record breaking winning run to balance it out?

It's very clear people have chosen what side they are on and refuse to budge from that position.

Some are even willing us to lose so that in their minds we can sack LJ and move onto better things.

No doubt in my mind that these people don't care about us and I thinj they are willing to take a short term hit for a long term gain but imo that is a risky strategy that offers no guarantees so personally I'm happy to take a win in whatever shape or form it comes.

I don't know anyone who wants City to lose. I also don't know anyone who rates LJ.

8 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I hate the way some fans are happy to shout the most vile abuse but then get all uptight and offended when they get a bit back. Grow up.

I'm not one to throw abuse at the manager, however vile, but regardless of what is said there's a difference between our relationship with him and his with us...we pay his wages, he doesn't pay ours. If he doesn't want to be criticised he shouldn't do the job, and if he can't take the criticism he's in the wrong one...

...as it happens I think he's perfectly capable of looking after himself!

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not one to throw abuse at the manager, however vile, but regardless of what is said there's a difference between our relationship with him and his with us...we pay his wages, he doesn't pay ours. If he doesn't want to be criticised he shouldn't do the job, and if he can't take the criticism he's in the wrong one...

...as it happens I think he's perfectly capable of looking after himself!

I think it very much depends what's said. 

16 hours ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Or 4 from a possible 30 and a third win in 18. 

That's a valid point - no pun intended!

And I really get that. And that LJ might not be the chosen one. I even found myself thinking enough was enough at halftime yesterday. 

It really was poor.

However and whether any of us like it or not he is SLs chosen one for now and for that reason alone I'll stick with it and him.

Even if we're looking at a barren February......

28 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

That's a valid point - no pun intended!
And I really get that. And that LJ might not be the chosen one. I even found myself thinking enough was enough at halftime yesterday. 
It really was poor.
However and whether any of us like it or not he is SLs chosen one for now and for that reason alone I'll stick with it and him.
Even if we're looking at a barren February......

IF ???

AJ_Buddy_crying.png

18 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You know what I've just read your post, and listening to people on Radio Bristol and you can all go and do one!!!!

After however many games without a win I don't give a **** how we got a win, what mattered was we got a win!!! And I'm bloody delighted. 

Well said! What a miserable load of sods some of the so-called fans are! All that matters is the score on the board. COYR, onwards and upwards!

4 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I hate the way some fans are happy to shout the most vile abuse but then get all uptight and offended when they get a bit back. Grow up.

Spot on. There's a particularly vile fat ****er who screams vile abuse in earshot of my nipper. Any time I give a bit back he wants to treat me like LJ. 

D**ckhead. Quite a few of them near the A11 disabled area. 

4 hours ago, Olé said:

And of course, you're absolutely right, but therein lies the problem with yesterday. It was not a 'buzzing' performance. We have not gained the things from the match yesterday that we so badly needed. There was as much there yesterday to undermine the confidence as to build it. We are no closer to a settled side. We struggled against a very very poor team. The manager's credibility (in spite of SL's vote of confidence) wasn't enhanced by what happened yesterday.

All of these were things that we should have been getting back yesterday, if the turnaround was real. I know you'll talk about unrealistic expectations, but I was convinced we would win by 3 or 4 yesterday - and my expectations are through the floor as you well know!! I just thought it was the perfect game, even for Johnson, to beat up and bully a very poor team that ships goals for fun (3+ in nearly half their games this season including to Oxford and Morecambe..)

This was not a game for self doubt. Before kick off even I didn't doubt Johnson's ability to win that one, I can't conceive anyone who really thought we might slip up. Steve Lansdown has looked at the fixture list and with his vote of confidence and more signings, stage managed this perfect audition for Johnson to come out swinging, and what happens? Johnson nearly knocks himself out. Yes we won, but we barely put any lipstick on the pig yesterday. It is still a pig.

Barnsley only scored one goal against Rotherham, Norwich lost to Rotherham, Sheff Wed only scored one goal.

This was very unlikely to ever be a 3 or 4 nil game and anyone who thinks that really do not understand football imo.

I wouldn't even be able to tell you what our best 11 is. What I do know is we now have a squad of players (something we have never really had) and we are utilising that squad.

3 hours ago, Meryl Goodrum said:

Well said! What a miserable load of sods some of the so-called fans are! All that matters is the score on the board. COYR, onwards and upwards!

No it doesn't.

What matters is that we don't get relegated back to division 1

We, as fans, need to see improvement in movement, play, tactics, commitment, coaching etc etc.

Remember one swallow does not make a Summer, especially after the long winter we have endured.  We shall know more after the end of this month

We all want City to go onwards and upwards but for some of us we can't abandon reason and reality however much we might like to

Signed

One of your miserable sods!

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Barnsley only scored one goal against Rotherham, Norwich lost to Rotherham, Sheff Wed only scored one goal.

This was very unlikely to ever be a 3 or 4 nil game and anyone who thinks that really do not understand football imo.

You're very selective with the Rotherham results you want to quote. The first two you mention were at home. The fact is that Rotherham have been abysmal away from home and have been conceding nearly 3 goals a game on the road all season (an average of 2.8 conceded per away game to be precise).

Your remark about not understanding football is pretty childish, I realise you've had some unnecessary abuse on this thread but please don't start resorting to sideways digs in the hope it makes you sound smarter. There was every basis for the match to have been won comfortably - even the bookies thought so. 

You say it was unlikely to ever be a 3 or 4 nil, but it's been those that have been so sure it will come good for LJ, that have insisted for weeks that we are close and it would click against someone. Well if it's not against a team like Rotherham with their away record, I'd love to know where you think the wins will come?

Even in our circumstances, it was not unreasonable (even for SL's benefit) to want a more convincing performance to solidify LJ's position and go into a tough run of away games with some confidence in our approach. You complained people aren't "buzzing" about the win, but haven't stopped to think why that is.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I wouldn't even be able to tell you what our best 11 is. What I do know is we now have a squad of players (something we have never really had) and we are utilising that squad.

My earlier comment, along with many, I believe, was nothing to do with the result UTC but more to do with the performance. Surely nobody can say the first 65 minutes was anything but dire can they?

It really was awful IMHO.

36 minutes ago, Olé said:

You're very selective with the Rotherham results you want to quote. The first two you mention were at home. The fact is that Rotherham have been abysmal away from home and have been conceding nearly 3 goals a game on the road all season (an average of 2.8 conceded per away game to be precise).

Your remark about not understanding football is pretty childish, I realise you've had some unnecessary abuse on this thread but please don't start resorting to sideways digs in the hope it makes you sound smarter. There was every basis for the match to have been won comfortably - even the bookies thought so. 

You say it was unlikely to ever be a 3 or 4 nil, but it's been those that have been so sure it will come good for LJ, that have insisted for weeks that we are close and it would click against someone. Well if it's not against a team like Rotherham with their away record, I'd love to know where you think the wins will come?

Even in our circumstances, it was not unreasonable (even for SL's benefit) to want a more convincing performance to solidify LJ's position and go into a tough run of away games with some confidence in our approach. You complained people aren't "buzzing" about the win, but haven't stopped to think why that is.

I admire your patience @Olé and your reasoning but you are banging your head against concrete with her

Ok, a bit late, but I will defend Lee after yesterday's match.  He picked exactly the outfield ten that I would have gone for (I'd have considered bringing Frankie back), and played the right formation too.  I couldn't understand the guy on Radio Bristol who claimed we weren't playing 4-4-2: that seemed to me to be clearly what was intended but Tomlin (who had probably his worst match in a Bristol City shirt) dropped deeper and deeper (once being level with the back four) leaving Tammy completely isolated.  Tammy soldiered on bravely but has clearly lost confidence and missed another chance he would have buried at the start of the season (as he did against Wednesday).  So Lee makes three substitutions before the 60th minute which are met with jeers from the crowd.  I admit that I was surprised by the subs, but they were spot on and won us the game.

if ever there was a case of the players failing to deliver but the manager rescuing the situation with his substitutions it was yesterday, so fair play to Johnson.

I would stick with Djuric and Taylor up front for the next match.  I think they might be the future.

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

No it doesn't.

What matters is that we don't get relegated back to division 1

We, as fans, need to see improvement in movement, play, tactics, commitment, coaching etc etc.

Remember one swallow does not make a Summer, especially after the long winter we have endured.  We shall know more after the end of this month

We all want City to go onwards and upwards but for some of us we can't abandon reason and reality however much we might like to

Signed

One of your miserable sods!

Oh sorry, I thought that if the score was a winning one, we wouldn't GET relegated.  Just making the point that it doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ok, a bit late, but I will defend Lee after yesterday's match.  He picked exactly the outfield ten that I would have gone for (I'd have considered bringing Frankie back), and played the right formation too.  I couldn't understand the guy on Radio Bristol who claimed we weren't playing 4-4-2: that seemed to me to be clearly what was intended but Tomlin (who had probably his worst match in a Bristol City shirt) dropped deeper and deeper (once being level with the back four) leaving Tammy completely isolated.  Tammy soldiered on bravely but has clearly lost confidence and missed another chance he would have buried at the start of the season (as he did against Wednesday).  So Lee makes three substitutions before the 60th minute which are met with jeers from the crowd.  I admit that I was surprised by the subs, but they were spot on and won us the game.

if ever there was a case of the players failing to deliver but the manager rescuing the situation with his substitutions it was yesterday, so fair play to Johnson.

I would stick with Djuric and Taylor up front for the next match.  I think they might be the future.

Think I missed something here!

Franky - was it a coincidence that last season and this when he was injured we dropped very few points? He is inconsistent and gives the defenders nightmares!

Agree Tammy was isolated due to LT playing out of position, but what happened against Wednesday? Yes he was credited with the goal, but he knew nothing about it - total deflection!

Substitutions rescuing? LJ totally messed up with the starting 11, when he made his changes he was in total panic, make or break, we score he keeps his job a little longer ........................

On 04/02/2017 at 23:18, Charliesboots said:

That maybe the case and I agree a win is a win in principle 

Reflecting on today the players won that in spite of LJ, they did that from the reaction of sections of the crowd after the triple substitutions. 

I want to win every game of course, but what I cannot accept is the disjointed nature of the performances; that's purely down to the Manager. 

No, a win is a win in terms of getting three points, that's the only principle involved.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, skipped straight to page 6.

As per the title, surely Sheffield Utd home in 13/14 season under SOD was the worst.  0-1, Flint OG late on.  No shots off target, let alone on target.

Try capitulating 7-1 at Northampton or (a week later) an abject 2-0 defeat at home to Scunthorpe. 

Relegation in 80/81 with more points than goals scored was a pretty bad year, the only saving grace was that the sags were even worse than us.

24 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Try capitulating 7-1 at Northampton or (a week later) an abject 2-0 defeat at home to Scunthorpe. 

Relegation in 80/81 with more points than goals scored was a pretty bad year, the only saving grace was that the sags were even worse than us.

I wasn't at those, but I think you win :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Yes I seriously want to see us play like we did after the subs came on. The last 20 minutes were in no way shape or form as bad as the first 45. That is completely incorrect. A statement I believe wanting to negate anything good done by our current manager despite obvious evidence that he did brave and correct substitutions which won the Match. But hey why let reality get in the way of Johnson hating. 

It shows how bad things really are when we defend our performances by a mediocre 20 mins vs the worst championship team in years.

10 minutes ago, Matty Taylor [BCFC] said:

It shows how bad things really are when we defend our performances by a mediocre 20 mins vs the worst championship team in years.

8 defeats on the bounce for a team that WERE in the play off positions and totally inept selections would do it for me.

Yes he changed it on Saturday but if he was as good as his backer say he is, why did he pick such a negative side in the first place? Two central midfielders who are both defensive by nature, against the worst side in the league at home?

I'm CTID but this bloke is beyond useless. I will back the team and I will back the club but the Manager is totally out of his depth. He may be good one day but not yet. Get rid!

Archived