IGNORED

After 22 games in 2007/08 season where were we?

Michael McIndoe

Whatever any of the forum may think of @Michael McIndoe from the media reports (and let’s be fair none of us know the truth and we should go on the basis of innocent until proven etc), it takes some knackers to come on here knowing the stick he’d get. That alone deserves respect - and the fact he’s freely answering questions is a big plus.

FWIW McIndoe is one of the 08 team I could easily see in our current set up - work rate and desire with decent skill - would fit right in. 

10 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Did you really fall out with Gary? Did you expect Lee to be a decent manager?

How did the team feel about Lee being scapegoated back then? I imagine it being awkward, but secretly comforting as it meant it wasn’t you

Me and Gary had a very love/hate relationship. We fell out on numerous occasions but always sorted it out. As for Lee being a decent manager, and I'm sure he won't mind me saying this, but he's only been in a manager in the football league for 4.5 years. In manager terms thats a short period of time and of course it goes without saying that he's doing a good job this season. Let's pray and hope he can go one step further than Gary! 

13 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Top man @BobBobSuperBob I think I would too :yes: 

Your commendable work rate would fit brilliantly into our pressing ethos

And your ability to retain possession and goal threat all fit perfectly

Have to say - I admire your b***s for signing up in your real name ,though I  guess you've had far worse stick from some on terraces and in recent years

Fair play - I Don't think you've done yourself any harm by fronting up on here - Nice to hear views of someone who was good enough to be a very good player at this level themselves

Hope you stay around and give us all an interesting view / perspective as the season unfolds :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

What chances do you think this current squad got of getting promotion? And how does it compare with the 07/08 squad?

I think the current squad have a good chance of getting promoted. They key time for me is always January. The strong squads start to shine and the lesser teams start to dwindle away. And another point will obviously be whether or not you make any key signings in the transfer window. I think there are definitely similarities between the 07/08 squad to the current squad. I think Lee is trying to influence the team in the same way he used to play which is passing through teams. Although I have to say I am not keen on the long throws. There is enough technical ability in the team to get the ball back into play quicker, tiring out more defences. 

Absolutely full credit to McIndoe in actually recognising us and taking his time to talk to fans of one of his ex clubs. There are many ex pro's who have played for City who pretend they never played for us let alone actually post a topic on a fan forum.

Couldnt give a rats ass about a players' personal life as long as they did it for us and McIndoe certainly did and was bang on about the long ball GJ played at the end of his City reign, it was dreadful.

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Whatever any of the forum may think of @Michael McIndoe from the media reports (and let’s be fair none of us know the truth and we should go on the basis of innocent until proven etc), it takes some knackers to come on here knowing the stick he’d get. That alone deserves respect - and the fact he’s freely answering questions is a big plus.

FWIW McIndoe is one of the 08 team I could easily see in our current set up - work rate and desire with decent skill - would fit right in. 

Thank you for that. I appreciate it. 

23 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Fascinating, McIndoe must have a thick skin, fair play.

For what it's worth he was great in the first season but grew very tiresome after that and definitely left at the right time.

Spill the beans Michael, what were those days really like...

Hi @cidercity1987! Being completely honest with you the first half of the 07/08 was awesome! GJ was playing the same way we used to play at Yeovil. Passing, moving, interchanging positions, players had the freedom to express ourselves and most importantly there was no rigidness to our play. In contrast when GJ brought in Dele Adebola and Nick Carle (my least favourite player ever!!) it changed the dynamic because players began to go long and direct to Dele, missing all the mid-fielders out. But this is where our creative strengths were. On top of this I think the pressure got to GJ because, in my opinion, he stopped encouraging the passing, moving and interchanging etc which I why I believe we only won, one of the last eight games in that season.

If you look at that season and the current season, they have one key aspect in common; City's goals are coming from all over the pitch. If Lee can maintain his ethos throughout the season, especially when it becomes extremely tense in matches, then there is no reason why City cannot make it to the Promised Land. But pressure at the bottom of the table is completely different than at the top because there is more expectation. 

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So Michael.

Couple of serious questions. 

A number of photos appeared over the years of you enjoying a champagne lifestyle, but what is your tipple of choice?

And when enjoying a Sunday roast, what would be the preferred meat option?

Sorry to bore but I've been teetotal since December 1999. 

As far as the Sunday roast goes, anything with haggis, neeps and tatties goes down well! 

33 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

@Michael McIndoe good to have you on here. 

One question I have to ask. What was the appeal of joining  Bristol City? If I recall, you were getting games at Wolves. I remember the day you signed, it was a pleasant surprise! 

Cheers

GJ was probably the biggest appeal but there was also a big buzz after the team had been promoted from League One. I wasn't too happy with Mick McCarthy after he took me off in the play-off semi final against WBA. 

What a legend for signing up @Michael McIndoe. Top man. 

You and Noble are still my top 2 favourite City players ever, sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you for that incredible season back in 07/08. I even did the old 'sweatband half way up the arm' look during games to play like you back in the day!!

What was the main reason you left the club? You seem to go from first 11, to dropped, to sold to Coventry in what felt like a month?

31 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your commendable work rate would fit brilliantly into our pressing ethos

And your ability to retain possession and goal threat all fit perfectly

Have to say - I admire your b***s for signing up in your real name ,though I  guess you've had far worse stick from some on terraces and in recent years

Fair play - I Don't think you've done yourself any harm by fronting up on here - Nice to hear views of someone who was good enough to be a very good player at this level themselves

Hope you stay around and give us all an interesting view / perspective as the season unfolds :thumbsup:

Very nice of you ! Thank you. :) 

25 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I think the current squad have a good chance of getting promoted. They key time for me is always January. The strong squads start to shine and the lesser teams start to dwindle away. And another point will obviously be whether or not you make any key signings in the transfer window. I think there are definitely similarities between the 07/08 squad to the current squad. I think Lee is trying to influence the team in the same way he used to play which is passing through teams. Although I have to say I am not keen on the long throws. There is enough technical ability in the team to get the ball back into play quicker, tiring out more defences. 

I agree, we need to sign a couple of players to add depth in January and really go for it which is what we didn't do in 07/08 aswell and i also agree on the long throws, can't recall us scoring from any and usually just wastes possession 

6 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Hi @cidercity1987! Being completely honest with you the first half of the 07/08 was awesome! GJ was playing the same way we used to play at Yeovil. Passing, moving, interchanging positions, players had the freedom to express ourselves and most importantly there was no rigidness to our play. In contrast when GJ brought in Dele Adebola and Nick Carle (my least favourite player ever!!) it changed the dynamic because players began to go long and direct to Dele, missing all the mid-fielders out. But this is where our creative strengths were. On top of this I think the pressure got to GJ because, in my opinion, he stopped encouraging the passing, moving and interchanging etc which I why I believe we only won, one of the last eight games in that season.

If you look at that season and the current season, they have one key aspect in common; City's goals are coming from all over the pitch. If Lee can maintain his ethos throughout the season, especially when it becomes extremely tense in matches, then there is no reason why City cannot make it to the Promised Land. But pressure at the bottom of the table is completely different than at the top because there is more expectation. 

So interesting to read your comments. I really rated Carle funnily enough but I guess I was wrong as he also did fff all at Palace. 

Re Adebola, let's hope history isn't repeating itself with us linked to Hugill in January.

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

MM

Not sure how much youve seen of the current side but I'd  be intrigued who , of the 07/08 side , in your opinion , would improve the starting eleven of this side ?

Obviously me.  Marvin Elliot. Louis Carey alongside Aden Flint. I think they would make a good centre back pairing. 

3 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

I agree, we need to sign a couple of players to add depth in January and really go for it which is what we didn't do in 07/08 aswell and i also agree on the long throws, can't recall us scoring from any and usually just wastes possession 

Apart from the winner from flinty v Cardiff

3 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

The long throw ins wind me up too, dont mind it now and again but it will get predictable and a waste. Think we need a couple of players similar to what we have incase a few more get injured, no need to change how we are currently playing.

29 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Absolutely full credit to McIndoe in actually recognising us and taking his time to talk to fans of one of his ex clubs. There are many ex pro's who have played for City who pretend they never played for us let alone actually post a topic on a fan forum.

Couldnt give a rats ass about a players' personal life as long as they did it for us and McIndoe certainly did and was bang on about the long ball GJ played at the end of his City reign, it was dreadful.

Cheers @BA14 RED!! No I am definitely not a fan of the long ball game!!! 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What a legend for signing up @Michael McIndoe. Top man. 

You and Noble are still my top 2 favourite City players ever, sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you for that incredible season back in 07/08. I even did the old 'sweatband half way up the arm' look during games to play like you back in the day!!

What was the main reason you left the club? You seem to go from first 11, to dropped, to sold to Coventry in what felt like a month?

@petehinton Many thanks for your kind words. 

Main reason I left was probably because GJ had changed the style of play I was used to and the new signings he had made were not inspiring me at all. Harsh. But in my opinion true. 

11 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

GJ was probably the biggest appeal but there was also a big buzz after the team had been promoted from League One. I wasn't too happy with Mick McCarthy after he took me off in the play-off semi final against WBA. 

Mick always struck me as a bit of a simpleton. Presumably he has something about him?

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@petehinton Many thanks for your kind words. 

Main reason I left was probably because GJ had changed the style of play I was used to and the new signings he had made were not inspiring me at all. Harsh. But in my opinion true. 

My pleasure sir. 

You mean, the thought of starting game alongside Peter Styvar didn't excite you?!? Shocking....:thumbsup:

Archived