IGNORED

Emiliano Sala

Negan

My simple summary (and I’ve not read anywhere near the depths of stuff other have) is:

Sala was a Cardiff player and Cardiff owe Nantes the contracted fee.

Whether Cardiff want to sue another party is a totally different matter, whether that be Nantes or whoever.

RIP Emiliano.

• Like 3

Remember too, not only are they looking to get out of paying up but rather disgustingly if they did win the case that provision put aside would be reversed and could bolster their FFP position by £15-20m depending on the size of it now. Mentioned this a few times.

Not just looking to welch on a debt but by happy coincidence crediting the accounts by £15-20m...think they took the provision in 2018/19 the year of £100m + PL T.V. cash. I know it's accounting, business etc but...

Would benefit both in cash AND profitability terms from a tragic death. Your sentiments about their actions in this case to date are spot on @GrahamC

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

In the case of McKay senior and Dalman that's a bunch of 'he said, she said'. Typical Grauniad article in it leaves more questions unanswered than answered:

1. Why would McKay senior pay for at least 3 return flights out of his own pocket if he wasn't getting a cut of the action (or perhaps his generosity evidences why he's bankrupt?)

2. Possibly in answer to 1, who was the agent representing the purchaser (Cardiff have remained silent on this?)

3. Again and possibly in answer to 1, did Cardiff not have concerns as to the 'close' relationship between McKay senior and Warnock, that their manager had requested the unlicensed McKay to assist in the acquisition of a couple of other french players he fancied, that manager having only recently signed two of McKay's sons on playing contracts? Quelle surprise it later emerged neither Warnock nor Cardiff appeared to have have conducted due diligence on Sala's valuation and level of market interest in him - what was the purchaser's agent doing unless, perhaps, they thought that to be McKay? Remind, too, the number of ex-players who've subsequently explained Warnock's understanding of 'pay to play'.

4. There were at least 7 other 'grey charters' undertaken by Cardiff employees in the preceding weeks, some of which may be related to the transfer, so who arranged and sanctioned them? (NB for at least 3 of them high-quality journalism discovered that post Sala's death one of the planes involved was re-registered to Guernsey possibly in an attempt to disguise the fact it had been used contrary to its authorised registration.)

5. Dalman's suggestion Cardiff knew nothing of the flight contradicts other reports, including those in the Grauniad,  in which Calum Davies (the club's welfare representative who was looking after Sala) reported that he'd warned Sala off taking the 'charter', had offered the commercial trips via Paris, but reinforced to Sala he needed to be back in Cardiff for publicity on the Monday (Sala declined the commercial flights as they gave him only half a day in Nantes instead of the overnight stay he wanted.)

6. If Sala wasn't Cardiff's player, as they'd argued,  and his registration wasn't due until the following week, why all the pressure to have him in Cardiff on the Monday? Tuesday he'd have been able to avail himself of Cardiff's offer of flights, trains and taxis.

Bloody heck. Interesting and thought provoking.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Reading that, a question comes forth...how does a telephone conversation ' accidentally ' get recorded?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001c7qg

It gets answered in this doc the BBC have just put out. One of Ibbotson’s fellow pilots forgot that he had an app to record phone calls after having issues with insurance companies previously. 

26 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don’t think Sala was aware it wasn’t safe until they were already in the air, hence the voice note 

Listening to that telephone conversation was sickening first time I heard it that pilot gambled Salahs life for a profit he is essentially a murderer in my eyes “last time we talk” “definitely taking a life jacket” “ low mist “ he wasn’t an idiot he referenced the fact he was risking his life. Greedy and opportunistic 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Logical-City said:

Listening to that telephone conversation was sickening first time I heard it that pilot gambled Salahs life for a profit he is essentially a murderer in my eyes “last time we talk” “definitely taking a life jacket” “ low mist “ he wasn’t an idiot he referenced the fact he was risking his life. Greedy and opportunistic 

If he’d somehow survived I guess he’d have been done for manslaughter rather than murder. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Logical-City said:

The bigger concern has to be whether this is normal practice, or was this purely a one off?

How many other flights are made with such appalling conditions etc?

• Like 1

It has taken an awfully long time for the fact that he WAS offered a scheduled flight from Paris to Cardiff, but chose to take the allternative small plane journey....as he wanted to spend longer with his friends and family, to come out?  The fact that I feel so, so sorry for him and his family goes without saying.   Possibly there were some language and translation problems between him and the pilot, but ultimately he trusted someone who let him down terribly, and should NEVER have been permitted to fly that plane.  It is such a sad and avoidable set of circumstances.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not completely au fait with all of this, but by interpretation is:

- Cardiff completed the transfer

- Cardiff should pay Nantes

- Cardiff should be suing pilot / plane company

RIP Emiliano

I don't get why Cardiff shouldn't pay Nantes? Who put on the plane?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not completely au fait with all of this, but by interpretation is:

- Cardiff completed the transfer

- Cardiff should pay Nantes

- Cardiff should be suing pilot / plane company

RIP Emiliano

I believe Cardiff’s view is that the contract signed was rejected by the FA and that he was due to sign an amended one on arrival. 

• Thanks 1

Apologies if already covered but the full Sala judgement now seems to be out.

Basically says in Saturday's Times that it swung on the inability of the club (ie Cardiff) to prove that he was not registered to play for them.

Not registered to play in PL but woukd have been eligible to play in FA Cup and had Cardiff qualified for it, UEFA competitions.

• Thanks 1