IGNORED

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic Match Day 13

Septic Peg

Strange game. We were utterly dire in the first half and seemed to want to play at walking pace. In the second half we showed much more urgency, albeit leaving ourselves open to the counter attack. Great to get the win in the end. 

With Diedhiou facing a ban our striking options are becoming a worry with Rodri still settling and Semenyo looking off the pace.  

38 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Wasn't there but by the commentary and match thread Semenyo didn't look sharp again with his running which I find really odd.

Big fam to the rescue again but he needs to learn to chill out. Hopefully Rodri made a good contribution?

Semenyo missed a good chance of getting into the team i bet Rodri starts the next game his non stop running and link up play alone was impressive! 

Semenyo made a lucky inception and took a wild pop from 35 yards then pass to the on rushing players breaking with him . 

1 minute ago, miketh2nd said:

Afobe ..... did and did Rodri today ...

I'm not so sure. Afobe's best work came from midfield rather than Wienmann, he created space for Afobe but through skill or outright energy.. I am not entirely convinced it's skill and it's more a byproduct of his stamina to get around the pitch.. I am not going to knock that, it's a great attribute, I just don't think it's a making of a partnership, it's more hit an miss rather than the telepathic striking relationship you want.

. You maybe right re Rodri I will hold off that judgement until they have more games together

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’ve missed the point entirely.

Hey, it’s all tongue in cheek - the fact is, travelling away to watch the chaps has been a pleasure over the last season or so ... but watching the rubbish home performances over the same time period has just been tedious - we have only won 4 of the last 13 home games .. I know why that isn’t a cause for concern for some, because they, bizarrely, think that records rolling over from one season to the next somehow don’t count, but it concerns me ... that’s all! 

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

I'm not so sure. Afobe's best work came from midfield rather than Wienmann, he created space for Afobe but through skill or outright energy.. I am not entirely convinced it's skill and it's more a byproduct of his stamina to get around the pitch.. I am not going to knock that, it's a great attribute, I just don't think it's a making of a partnership, it's more hit an miss rather than the telepathic striking relationship you want.

. You maybe right re Rodri I will hold off that judgement until they have more games together

Fair enough i do agree at times it looks like weimann is playing by himself but for me next game we go back to 3 5 2 with palmer in behind Rodri and Weimann . I personally notice Weimann more effective when linking up with Palmer also.

Rodeo looks like a real find. He played well with Fam too. Shame about the red but that happens and they were desperate to get the ref to do something. 

Enjoy the win. That was/could be a real season defining moment. 

And the bloke who said it wasn’t convincing earlier...wtf do you want. We are a team of reserves fourth in the championship. Now please shut up!

4 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Did you not notice the constant being all over in specific Massengo Rodri and blocking weimann and other players off the ball ?? The most hilarious time wasting which actually shot them in the foot ?

Yeh, but just pretty much ‘street wise’ stuff exhibited by most teams - it wasn’t cheating ...

1 minute ago, miketh2nd said:

Fair enough i do agree at times it looks like weimann is playing by himself but for me next game we go back to 3 5 2 with palmer in behind Rodri and Weimann . I personally notice Weimann more effective when linking up with Palmer also.

To be honest we would both probably see a better player if he had a settled position and strike partner. So I am.probably doing him.a disservice

Out wide. Up front by himself. Behind a front 2or as part of a front 2 I don't think he had ever had a settled position 

1 minute ago, TRL said:

To be honest we would both probably see a better player if he had a settled position and strike partner. So I am.probably doing him.a disservice

Out wide. Up front by himself. Behind a front 2or as part of a front 2 I don't think he had ever had a settled position 

I think at times weimann needs to be more selfish when he does have it in the final third . I think he is best running onto the ball or  from deep with his pace. 

17 minutes ago, TRL said:

Wienmann will never link with anyone imo. He runs and runs and runs and finds himself way out of position to make an effective strike partner for anyone. You can't knock the work rate.. some may argue it's great team play, but if you are not linking up with your attack in a cohesive way... Is it really team play? I think that question needs answering as I think it is one of our biggest downfalls.

Find it hard to criticise the guy. He always gives 100%.

It’s for our management team, assuming that energy/attitude is worth a place, to find someone he can pair up with. Be interested in our training regime. Just don’t see that it’s something we work on. 

Well another roller coaster of emotions that was and if any pass / finish deserved to win it that was it..... But once again we started slow and aloud them to put us on the back foot leaving huge gaps between our lines and this has to stop. Rodri is very intelligent and makes those runs behind we so lacked 1st half and I think if started Sunday could link up nicely with AW as we have a real chance Sunday to make a difference.... 

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

I think at times weimann needs to be more selfish when he does have it in the final third . I think he is best running onto the ball or  from deep with his pace. 

I agree. And this is why I don't think why he works with Fam. One runs from deep the other likes to be facing goal higher up the pitch. We don't have a back to goal player that can work off of his run from deep play and knock the ball back to him

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Without looking through rose tinted glasses, did we perform better?

I wouldn't say Charlton had any spells of dominance so to say, but they did well in stopping us play for the first 50 minutes or so and pounced on opportunities as they arose

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Find it hard to criticise the guy. He always gives 100%.

It’s for our management team, assuming that energy/attitude is worth a place, to find someone he can pair up with. Be interested in our training regime. Just don’t see that it’s something we work on. 

Agree. It's hard to drop someone who gives so many positives. But we do lose something as a team although gaining in other ways. As an attacking unit I think his play ruins us. As a physical high stamina player he gives us other attributes and knackers opposition players. We have to learn to utilise him better imo. If he is starting he should be running opposition into the ground for 65 mins then he should be replaced to continue the attack against a knackered defence. It seems to me he stays on for the 90 mins often moved out wide or dropped in behind a front 2. I am not sure it's the right tactic I don't think he has good crossing ability or the guile for the killer pass for the later options.

Hey ho what would I know work in IT. There is a reason Johnson is manager and I'm not

Couldn't see the sending off incident very well from my perch in the Dolman, but the reaction of the Charlton players sugested it was bad.  Just seen the highlights and frankly Fam's behaviour was disgusting and certainly warrants a 3 game ban.  Not sure what was going through his head.

Why we didn't play with the energy and commitment in the first half that we showed in the second half I'm not sure.  Palmer certainly made a difference and Rodri is showing some promise, especially if we can find him the right strike partner.

Semenyeo doesn't look as if he's really quite up to championship level yet.

Strong performances by Williams and Moore again in central defence and Bentley saved us several times.  Tommy Rowe is doing much better than I expected now and I can see his defensive qualities improving too.  Andi Weimann put in his usual 100% shift, though did not seem quite as effective as his effort would suggest.

All in all, a great 3 points, but at half time, I was thinking that this was going to be the start of another great LJ losing run. 2nd half it was a totally different performance after the substitutions.

Imagine if we had a fully fit squad.

Archived