IGNORED

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic Match Day 13

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, thought so too having watched it back a bit earlier.

Question is, was it handball or ball to hand- mind you they keep shifting the rules on when to penalise or otherwise!

I don’t think it could be construed as handball,but **** me what a recovery.

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've never really addressed our midfield deficiencies.

Palmer plays some exquisite passes, but he loses the ball a lot and isn't much help to the defence.

Obviously, we didn't factor for Nagy being injured for so long, but I wonder whether there's a young player able to step up to give HNM some respite?

Does anyone who watches the U23s know?

The coaching staff all watch the u23s and they’ve  all fully qualified to assess their potential. If there were any then we’d have seen them included in the matchday squad.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Rowe?

O'Dowda centrally?

Palmer?

Szmodics?

There are options. There just aren't like for like replacements.

Rowe is filling in at LB, CoD in central midfield....meh.......I’d overlooked Szmodics......He’s a possibly I guess.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

But then who fills in at LB?

I'd rather have O'Dowda in the middle to give Massengo a rest, personally. Unless we go with wing backs again, that I could see working with the available players. 

Dunno if I'd have O'Dowda in a 2- in a 3 maybe. If in a 3, that extra body alone could help to reduce the load on Massengo in particular.

Seen suggestions for O'Dowda at LB on here. Possible, but I'd worry about the defensive side and an unnatural position.

24 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Just watched the highlights again, does anyone else think that in the build up to their goal the ball actually hits the Charlton players arm,whilst he goes down holding his face,he then glances up to see his team mate sprinting down the pitch,and suddenly makes a miraculous recovery.

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, thought so too having watched it back a bit earlier.

Question is, was it handball or ball to hand- mind you they keep shifting the rules on when to penalise or otherwise!

Indeed, and I posted this earlier on the 'That Pass' thread.

'At the start of the move from which Charlton scored, one of their players went down as he was hit in the face (I believe) by the ball.

The referee certainly looked behind him whilst he was following the Charlton attack, but he allowed play to continue as the player appeared to be rising to his feet - I may be cynical, but I suspect the Charlton player would have been rolling around in agony, screaming for the match to be stopped had they not been attacking.'

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With Nagy and Smith both injured the midfield cupboard is bare RR.

What choice does LJ have with only Palmer, Massengo and Brownhill as viable midfield options?

Some posters argue that Massengo should be ‘rested’ but how is that going to happen with so few available midfield options?

Maybe that’s why LJ started with two wingers last night.................:dunno:

Rowe can play midfield.

56 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, and I posted this earlier on the 'That Pass' thread.

'At the start of the move from which Charlton scored, one of their players went down as he was hit in the face (I believe) by the ball.

The referee certainly looked behind him whilst he was following the Charlton attack, but he allowed play to continue as the player appeared to be rising to his feet - I may be cynical, but I suspect the Charlton player would have been rolling around in agony, screaming for the match to be stopped had they not been attacking.'

No, you’re not being cynical ?

I was both thrilled & pleased when that late winner went in.

However for too much of the game too many City players passed either to where a team mate had been rather than where he was now or, even worse passed to an opponent.

On a more positive note; as 90  minutes approached, the players seemed to be settling for the draw. Then when 6 extra minutes were announced, heads literally came back up and they realised en masse "we can  win this".

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Bakinson has to be close to the squad surely, and if we need to freshen up a little there's  Watkins and Adelakun. 

Adelukan and Bakinson are not up to it at this level. I say this having seen both several times in the 23's. Watkins is barely a first team squad member, not due to lack of effort, but to me he doesn't look much of a footballer, never stands out for the 23's.

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

Just watched the highlights again, does anyone else think that in the build up to their goal the ball actually hits the Charlton players arm,whilst he goes down holding his face,he then glances up to see his team mate sprinting down the pitch,and suddenly makes a miraculous recovery.

Yes, yes and yes. There was a shout for handball from the crowd.

It highlights how silly the handball rule has now become that no-one seems to know whether it might have been or not. If it had been in the Prem, with VAR etc, would that have been considered a handball in the immediate build up to a goal? Even though it was 100 yards away?

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, yes and yes. There was a shout for handball from the crowd.

It highlights how silly the handball rule has now become that no-one seems to know whether it might have been or not. If it had been in the Prem, with VAR etc, would that have been considered a handball in the immediate build up to a goal? Even though it was 100 yards away?

Your  guess is as good as mine ID.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:34, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, Johnson's amazing tactical success had more to do with Charlton being happy to try to sit on a one goal lead, than our shape on the pitch.

After he made the double sub, we were still being overrun, as with Massengo looking tired and DM never being Brownhill's strong suite, we effectively had no midfield. The ball went from their final third to our final third as easy as pie.

It's only after they scored and took their collective feet off the gas, so to speak, that we started getting forward.

And I'm glad to say, the sending-off actually fired us up even more. I wish it hadn't happened, but clearly the players felt aggrieved and reacted by going all out. Sendings off can demoralise the whole team. Last night's didn't.

I think they tired too....their diamond stopped working hard and the fluid rotation of it stopped too.  They started to go longer from the back, meaning even more ground to cover.  We are a fit team.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think they tired too....their diamond stopped working hard and the fluid rotation of it stopped too.  They started to go longer from the back, meaning even more ground to cover.  We are a fit team.

We are. And it helped us that they had those two early injuries, so only could bring on one fresh player in the second period.

Archived