IGNORED

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic Match Day 13

Septic Peg

5 hours ago, TRL said:

For my mind if you start Elliasson you start Fam. They are made for each other. But Johnson seems to play Elliasson when he drops Fam. It seems crazy to me.. he must see something different in training. What I see in match play they are made for each other swing the ball in a on rushing Famara, who competes against a rushing back defender against a vicious in swinging cross... It's a no brainer to me

Eliasson gonna be off the field for 3 games then !

4 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Disappointment,  then moderate satisfaction, followed by unbridled elation.

My emotions following each change of score.

Can't beat a last minute winner, especially when you're down to 10 men!

Well done, and a damn good turnaround and 3 points.?

As i read through the thread this morning, as I always like to do without knowing the score i would rate the majority of posters' emotions more like this.. Slagfest, Finally and Bezwerk.

So why was COD, by most accounts, so poor, why is Semenyo starting and why would the best player in Eliasson be subbed? All of the above irrelevent because we won as LJ will rightfully attest.

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Rodeo looks like a real find. He played well with Fam too. Shame about the red but that happens and they were desperate to get the ref to do something. 

Enjoy the win. That was/could be a real season defining moment. 

And the bloke who said it wasn’t convincing earlier...wtf do you want. We are a team of reserves fourth in the championship. Now please shut up!

11 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, he looks one of the better chaps.......

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Bucking the trend then.

I thought he did well in the mane.

I notice someone referred to him as “Rhodri” might as well give him the nickname “Morgan”!

Wonderful goal and 3 points. 98 min, 10 man does it makes more nice. Really hope we also win sunday. Famara for me is the warrior among our forwards. He will be missing in 3 games. Probably Rodri instead of Fam. Smodicz and Watkins are also fit. Watkins not played many games for City, but he have scored twice for us I think. Or maybe LJ give Semenyo another chance.

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

Interesting that Johnson commented on the criticism he would get for taking Elliasson off. He didn't need to read this thread to know that, but he seemed to think he had a tactical rationale getting the full backs forward?!

He did.

Our fullbacks play quite high up anyway, and Charlton were having a degree of success with their diamond.

So he matched us up with a diamond too. As our midfield was narrower this suits Eliasson less, but our full backs could still push on and wouldn't be occupying the same space as a winger when they did.

13 hours ago, Lew-T said:

How in the hell are we 4th, one win from top spot? 

Because everyother team in the top half is going " we're rubbish. How come we're 1st / 2nd / etc".

Sometimes it's better looking from the outside in rather than looking at our own 'issues'. In a $h!t league the least $h!tiest wins.

To be honest, Johnson's amazing tactical success had more to do with Charlton being happy to try to sit on a one goal lead, than our shape on the pitch.

After he made the double sub, we were still being overrun, as with Massengo looking tired and DM never being Brownhill's strong suite, we effectively had no midfield. The ball went from their final third to our final third as easy as pie.

It's only after they scored and took their collective feet off the gas, so to speak, that we started getting forward.

And I'm glad to say, the sending-off actually fired us up even more. I wish it hadn't happened, but clearly the players felt aggrieved and reacted by going all out. Sendings off can demoralise the whole team. Last night's didn't.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, Johnson's amazing tactical success had more to do with Charlton being happy to try to sit on a one goal lead, than our shape on the pitch.

After he made the double sub, we were still being overrun, as with Massengo looking tired and DM never being Brownhill's strong suite, we effectively had no midfield. The ball went from their final third to our final third as easy as pie.

It's only after they scored and took their collective feet off the gas, so to speak, that we started getting forward.

And I'm glad to say, the sending-off actually fired us up even more. I wish it hadn't happened, but clearly the players felt aggrieved and reacted by going all out. Sendings off can demoralise the whole team. Last night's didn't.

We were battering them for the last 20 minutes of regular time. They got a few chances on the break, but they were far from overrunning us.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

We were battering them for the last 20 minutes. They got a few chances on the break, but they were far from overrunning us.

Read my post. I wasn't talking about the last 20 minutes. I was talking about the period of time between changing formation and their goal. 

They then sat back too much, trying to hold on for a win, then a draw and paid the price for timewasting and negativity.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Read my post. I wasn't talking about the last 20 minutes. I was talking about the period of time between changing formation and their goal. 

They then sat back too much, trying to hold on for a win, then a draw and paid the price for timewasting and negativity.

Even before their goal we were on top.

They scored after a clearance off the line then a swift counter attack.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think it was a mix of sitting back and literally running out of gas. They had nothing to offer at the end.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think it was a mix of sitting back and literally running out of gas. They had nothing to offer at the end.

They were dead on their heels before Fam was sent off even.

Think I recall LJ saying there are things we can't control, but one we can is fitness.

If I have that right then we saw the benefits of it last night.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, I apologise, I just think the big home defeat vs Leeds counts ...

Leeds a very good side albeit certainly not infallible at this level and tbh points to dominance ratio is too low for them- I wasn't expecting much joy vs them and so it transpired. Probably should have 6 pts more based on baseline performance levels.

We got outnumbered centrally much too often that day and while it wasn't necessarily decisive, it certainly was important IMO- we're in a much healthier position now, partially through signings and tbh things have gelled very well given all the signings, let alone injuries.

3-2-1 is not a bad home record- Played Leeds, played surprise packages in QPR, Charlton, played Swansea- all 4 of whom are in and around the top 10. People say 2nd half was poor v Reading and it was, but they've just beaten Preston and drawn at QPR- NO easy games! Well that's not fully true but mostly no easy games then.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was a combination of both RR. Them sitting back and LJs decision to tweak our formation. Had  LJ not changed things we’d have lost the game.

City were all over them in last 20mins or so.

What is concerning is why LJ set up with two wide men leaving our midfield wide open as you saw. Hopefully he won’t be doing that again any time soon.......

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It was a combination of both RR. Them sitting back and LJs decision to tweak our formation. Had  LJ not changed things we’d have lost the game.

City were all over them in last 20mins or so.

What is concerning is why LJ set up with two wide men leaving our midfield wide open as you saw. Hopefully he won’t be doing that again any time soon.......

I was there. I do know we were all over them in the last 20. I did see the multiple off-the-line saves and blocks they were forced to do.

However when Fam and Rodders came on, we still faced 10 minutes or so when most of the danger was to us.

After their goal (62 minutes), tiredness as @Numero Uno and complacency from Charlton were our two big helpers. One thing you can say about the side we have now, we rarely give up. we keep coming.

Agree about the midfield. I remember Pack playing game after game last season and his form getting worse and worse as he got progressively more tired. Our injuries are putting Massengo and Brownhill in the same place. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

After their goal (62 minutes), tiredness as @Numero Uno and complacency from Charlton were our two big helpers. One thing you can say about the side we have now, we rarely give up. we keep coming.

Agree about the midfield. I remember Pack playing game after game last season and his form getting worse and worse as he got progressively more tired. Our injuries are putting Massengo and Brownhill in the same place. 

With Nagy and Smith both injured the midfield cupboard is bare RR.

What choice does LJ have with only Palmer, Massengo and Brownhill as viable midfield options?

Some posters argue that Massengo should be ‘rested’ but how is that going to happen with so few available midfield options?

Maybe that’s why LJ started with two wingers last night.................:dunno:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

What choice does LJ have with only Palmer, Massengo and Brownhill as viable midfield options?

Some posters argue that Massengo should be ‘rested’ but how is that going to happen with so few available midfield options?

We've never really addressed our midfield deficiencies.

Palmer plays some exquisite passes, but he loses the ball a lot and isn't much help to the defence.

Obviously, we didn't factor for Nagy being injured for so long, but I wonder whether there's a young player able to step up to give HNM some respite?

Does anyone who watches the U23s know?

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Palmer plays some exquisite passes, but he loses the ball a lot and isn't much help to the defence.

Obviously, we didn't factor for Nagy being injured for so long, but I wonder whether there's a young player able to step up to give HNM some respite?

Bakinson?!

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dunno. You can't legislate for Smith's rolling injuries and Nagy's situation too.

Palmer I agree, not a CM. CAM, a '10' but not a CM as such. Defence isn't his strong suit!

If only we'd kept one of Walsh, Morrell or Pack- competition, depth and the ability to play a 3 centrally without needing to shift Rowe and unbalancing the defence.

Just watched the highlights again, does anyone else think that in the build up to their goal the ball actually hits the Charlton players arm,whilst he goes down holding his face,he then glances up to see his team mate sprinting down the pitch,and suddenly makes a miraculous recovery.

2 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Just watched the highlights again, does anyone else think that in the build up to their goal the ball actually hits the Charlton players arm,whilst he goes down holding his face,he then glances up to see his team mate sprinting down the pitch,and suddenly makes a miraculous recovery.

Yes, thought so too having watched it back a bit earlier.

Question is, was it handball or ball to hand- mind you they keep shifting the rules on when to penalise or otherwise!

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rowe?

O'Dowda centrally?

Palmer?

Szmodics?

There are options. There just aren't like for like replacements.

Archived