IGNORED

Bristol City v Exeter City - Carabao Cup R1 - Match Day

Septic Peg

8 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Dasilva needs to do more down the left. Constantly checking back. If he hasn’t got the confidence to take on a L2 full back then I worry about him being are wing back for the season 

See I'm seeing Exeter getting tight to the players in front and to the side of him. They're doing well to shut off his options. Allows the RB to close him down and force the back pass.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I stopped going to these first round games in recent seasons because we've been so bad in the vast majority of them.

Yes, it's like all they're thinking about is the new league season.

This hasn't been too bad actually, better than a lot of seen

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Poor decision making.

Our midfield has been the problem. Massengo been the best of the 3 for me.

But we do have Morrell, Walsh, Williams, Nagy returning. And possibly Brunt coming in!

So it could well be none of these 3 are picked in a full strength side.

That’s always been Andi’s downfall. If he had more composure in the final third he probably would have stayed in the Premier League.

Great little move for the goal but quality a bit lacking otherwise. DaSilva is playing well I think.

Nice to see defenders (particularly Moore) attempting to bring the ball out. I feel though he runs forward, Pato and Weimann move up as that's their instinct, Massengo drops to cover, and there's not enough options so we quite often just end up going back.

Couple of decent long balls and flicks on up front.

Overall a bit meh though, I'd hope even with so many out we'd be able to impose ourselves on a league 2 team a lot more than this.

HT summary from me.  Started ok, early chance for Wells.  Couple of good balls through the lines from Moore, then Exeter got into it.  Moore not putting enough pressure on Bowman, and therefore Randall, Randall Williams and Jay able to get on the ball....they caused us some problems.  Pato not in it first 25.  Gradually gained a bit of control.  Massengo, looks sharp with his added bulk (which he didn’t post-covid) and he got through some incredible work first half, gradually getting us back into it.  Weimann also started to find pockets.

Goal after 35: lovely (but simple) ball between the lines from Moore, super touch and spin from Weimann (who said he doesn’t want it into feet ?), ball to Hunt, git his head up, picked out Pato, good finish to a half-bouncing ball.

Finished half the better side.

Massengo and Weimann the picks for me.  Moore good with the ball, needs to be stronger - not dissimilar to Leeds v Bamford.  He’ll benefit with TK back alongside him.  He’s trying to not go too tight, and he wants to be the spare man.

Not great, but it’s first game. Happy to be in-front, sometimes that’s what it needs.  Probably say it was a nervy start.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Great little move for the goal but quality a bit lacking otherwise. DaSilva is playing well I think.

Nice to see defenders (particularly Moore) attempting to bring the ball out. I feel though he runs forward, Pato and Weimann move up as that's their instinct, Massengo drops to cover, and there's not enough options so we quite often just end up going back.

Overall a bit meh though, I'd hope even with so many out we'd be able to impose ourselves on a league 2 team a lot more than this.

Exactly, great that moore and vyner are driving forward but there is no one offering up to take ball from them in pockets of space so the ball goes no where effective leaving the defender having to rush back into position.

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Hopefully we don’t see Paterson and Weimann play together in a ‘midfield’ 3 again. Seen it enough now to know it doesn’t work.  One of them needs to be more box to box. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

HT summary from me.  Started ok, early chance for Wells.  Couple of good balls through the lines from Moore, then Exeter got into it.  Moore not putting enough pressure on Bowman, and therefore Randall, Randall Williams and Jay able to get on the ball....they caused us some problems.  Pato not in it first 25.  Gradually gained a bit of control.  Massengo, looks sharp with his added bulk (which he didn’t post-covid) and he got through some incredible work first half, gradually getting us back into it.  Weimann also started to find pockets.

Goal after 35: lovely (but simple) ball between the lines from Moore, super touch and spin from Weimann (who said he doesn’t want it into feet ?), ball to Hunt, git his head up, picked out Pato, good finish to a half-bouncing ball.

Finished half the better side.

Massengo and Weimann the picks for me.  Moore good with the ball, needs to be stronger - not dissimilar to Leeds v Bamford.  He’ll benefit with TK back alongside him.  He’s trying to not go too tight, and he wants to be the spare man.

Not great, but it’s first game. Happy to be in-front, sometimes that’s what it needs.  Probably say it was a nervy start.

Those Weimann blinkers in full effect still I see Dave! 

Archived