IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

Regarding Ashton funny how the tables turn. Guess it's a case of any port in a storm but...the Club in q used to be a bit of a model not that long ago

Possibly even pre dating the Gourlay departure but if Ashton is the answer then what the hell is the question! Especially FFP aside given that the West Brom owner either can't or won't fund inevitable cash deficits at the level.

Screenshot_20230605-171548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae74978f0e84d187cdcbe24dfc150e96.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Regarding Ashton funny how the tables turn. Guess it's a case of any port in a storm but...the Club in q used to be a bit of a model not that long ago

Possibly even pre dating the Gourlay departure but if Ashton is the answer then what the hell is the question! Especially FFP aside given that the West Brom owner either can't or won't fund inevitable cash deficits at the level.

Screenshot_20230605-171548_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae74978f0e84d187cdcbe24dfc150e96.jpg

It's amazing how fans see a guy saying something like "we will win at all costs" and just say I want a bit of that.

That's all he does - tell you things that any football fan would like to hear.

Genuinely seems to care about the club he represents .... because they have done well. When they aren't doing well it will be that he doesn't care.

I swear all football fans are the same except Liverpool fans.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 13:38, Davefevs said:

TWTD - some posters are on a different planet.

• Tom Cannon
  • Zian Fleming
  • Jerry Yates but no more than £650k

Gustavo Hamer the latest one they think they can just cherry pick from another championship club. Some serious delusions of grandly over on that forum. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Gustavo Hamer the latest one they think they can just cherry pick from another championship club. Some serious delusions of grandly over on that forum. 

So they've dropped out of the race for Alex "£5m plus" Scott then??

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, BLRed said:

Can someone explain to me how they are being regarded by the bookies as a team with good odds to challenge for promotion and how they apparently have a big pot of money to spend this summer?

they have just come up. What am I missing?

On the big pot of money, whether they have one or not Ashton will spend it!

On 19/05/2023 at 22:32, Loosey Boy said:

I hope Ashton does turn up at Ashton Gate as the atmosphere will be ramped up, making it much more uncomfortable for Ipswich!

....but this is Bristol City, so you just know what is going to happen! :shocking:

On 21/05/2023 at 18:25, chinapig said:

Fans aren't obliged to take an interest in FFP and other off field matters of course but it's hard to see how you can form an informed opinion on what happens on the field if you don't know the context.

When Derby first became of interest as far as FFP was concerned, it was fascinating to read their fans' opinions ( andespecially of our Mr P!).

Firstly, when it came to the question of the "dubious"sale of Pride Park to another of Morris's companies, they were almost gleeful that the club had pulled a fast one on the EFL and boo sucks to every other club that had been naively following the financial rules and thereby deprived themselves of the same clever wheeze. The impression was that the rules were stupid/not needed/didn't really apply to them.

Then as things progressed, and it was increasingly pointed out that ffp was to safeguard clubs' futures, many of their fans responded with something along the lines of, " Morris is a life long fan and has the money and can afford it, so would never leave Derby in the financial lurch"

That worked out well didn't it.

Thanks to the detailed input by the likes of Mr Popodopoluos and Davefevs I think that fans on this forum now have a better understanding of ffp and it's impact on a clubs plans. This is especially true since the impact of Covid and Ashton's time here became clear so that we do not now see ( or rarely) comments asking why doesn't billionnaire Steve Lansdown stick his hand in his pcket to fund player signings.

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Hopefully we are a new breed now and we are the new Bristol City ... 

Hopefully MA is the same breed he always was ...............

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When Derby first became of interest as far as FFP was concerned, it was fascinating to read their fans' opinions ( andespecially of our Mr P!).

Firstly, when it came to the question of the "dubious"sale of Pride Park to another of Morris's companies, they were almost gleeful that the club had pulled a fast one on the EFL and boo sucks to every other club that had been naively following the financial rules and thereby deprived themselves of the same clever wheeze. The impression was that the rules were stupid/not needed/didn't really apply to them.

Then as things progressed, and it was increasingly pointed out that ffp was to safeguard clubs' futures, many of their fans responded with something along the lines of, " Morris is a life long fan and has the money and can afford it, so would never leave Derby in the financial lurch"

That worked out well didn't it.

Thanks to the detailed input by the likes of Mr Popodopoluos and Davefevs I think that fans on this forum now have a better understanding of ffp and it's impact on a clubs plans. This is especially true since the impact of Covid and Ashton's time here became clear so that we do not now see ( or rarely) comments asking why doesn't billionnaire Steve Lansdown stick his hand in his pcket to fund player signings.

Hopefully MA is the same breed he always was ...............

Let's hope ? 

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The East Anglian version of James Piercy (guy called Phil Ham of the EADT newspaper) said earlier this week that Rak-Sakyi is not got any kegs at this point.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/45077/evertons-simms-on-towns-list

Well, presumably, that means he isn't going anywhere soon, at least not until he gets himself some new trousers.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Yes indeed, @Mr Popodopolous @Davefevsand also @ExiledAjaxand @Hxj.

Even at my age learning stuff from people who know more than I do is one of life's little pleasures. ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes indeed, @Mr Popodopolous @Davefevsand also @ExiledAjaxand @Hxj.

Even at my age learning stuff from people who know more than I do is one of life's little pleasures. ?

The saying along the lines of “old dogs and new tricks” is particularly applicable to me.  At 53 it’s taken me 3 evenings to learn how to build 3 little bar charts….and I’m not sure the outcome deserved the effort!

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I thought the richest and most attractive club to play for in the country right now would’ve made a handful of signing by now? Or do they need to shift players before they can buy….heard that somewhere before 

I’ll still reserve judgement in my final prediction until we see what their squad looks like in August.  But as it stands, Luongo and Chaplin re-signing to fanfares, whilst good for Ipswich, doesn’t smack of “we will be top 6”.  Neither set the world alight at this level, although certainly competent performers.  They are gonna need better than that.

Of course comparisons with Sunderland will be made, and in many cases there’s an argument that says they finished their respective Lg1 season much better than them, Ipswich 2nd, Sunderland via playoffs.  Sunderland had Stewart, Clarke, Neil, etc (plus Diallo) - all young, upwardly trending.  I’m not sure Chaplin, Luongo, Morsy and Burns have that same feel.  Leif Davis looks promising, but left back isn’t a position that normally affects where you finish to that large degree.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll still reserve judgement in my final prediction until we see what their squad looks like in August.  But as it stands, Luongo and Chaplin re-signing to fanfares, whilst good for Ipswich, doesn’t smack of “we will be top 6”.  Neither set the world alight at this level, although certainly competent performers.  They are gonna need better than that.

Of course comparisons with Sunderland will be made, and in many cases there’s an argument that says they finished their respective Lg1 season much better than them, Ipswich 2nd, Sunderland via playoffs.  Sunderland had Stewart, Clarke, Neil, etc (plus Diallo) - all young, upwardly trending.  I’m not sure Chaplin, Luongo, Morsy and Burns have that same feel.  Leif Davis looks promising, but left back isn’t a position that normally affects where you finish to that large degree.

Think with the McKenna link and the fact they are now in the Championship can see them getting a decent Man U loan in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

"The board leave me, they don't interfere with the operations, they let me get on with it. And that is so important to give us the runway to build this football club"

Words to send a chill down your spine.

Do you reckon he has a game going with someone for who can get the biggest scoring scrabble words into an interview?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

"The board leave me, they don't interfere with the operations, they let me get on with it. And that is so important to give us the runway to build this football club"

Words to send a chill down your spine.

7:30min video….totally unwarranted. christ. He absolutely asked for it to happen too. 

“Oxygen”

”Runway”

”We are so aligned, you can’t get water between us”

He’s been on another course hasn’t he?

I do dislike bosses who seem proud by having staff work 7 days weeks.  I appreciate it’s a busy time for clubs but I don’t like the “message”.

I see he’s still allowing people to “look him in the eye”, we all remember “Walshy looked me in the eye and we knew he’d sign a contract”!!!

• Like 10

Interesting. The MANAGER signs a new deal and the CEO does 7 minutes in front of camera while there is a written article giving McKenna's thoughts. In fact , most of the Tweets involving McKenna also have Ashton's mug On Twitter, of 7 articles involving the manager only 2 have just the manager, while Ashton gets his 7 minute video . 
I actually Googled various "manager/new contract/signs/club" etc and the used car salesman seems to be the only CEO hogging the limelight, who'd have thought it.

I have no axe to grind with Ipswich, I don't mind them, but part of me wants them to struggle just to see Ashton crawl back under a rock and hide.

• Like 7