IGNORED

Harry Cornick Signs (Confirmed)

AshtonRobin21

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

There’s a reason we finished 24th.

Thorpe is a myth, lazy League One player.

We needed better than Watts & Hutchings & wasting money on him cost us.

Watts was a really one dimensional centre back. Pretty poor. Hutchings I remember a lot of excitement about at the time but he turned out to be a disaster. Wiki says that he "has become a successful stock market trader."

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Thorpe Anderson and Ade. We still had Crambe and Torpey. At a time we needed to strengthen the rest of the side much better, particularly midfield. Hewlett, Tinman and the early throws of Tommy Doc wasn't enough. 

Ah what a absolute shambles that was. Still, it was cool having Testimetanu, Seebok and a few other exotic names in the teamsheet 

Always wondered what might have happened if we'd stuck with Benny for a bit in div 2. Rather than letting Pulis bring in the likes of Mortimer and Steve Jones :(

Sebok wasn't bad! I remember he once played against Englanf for Hungary was it?

I reckon the squad and manager were good enough to stay up but it was just chaos at the club.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Sebok wasn't bad! I remember he once played against Englanf for Hungary was it?

I reckon the squad and manager were good enough to stay up but it was just chaos at the club.

I remember Seebok scoring a hat trick for Hungary, not bad for a CB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Thorpe Anderson and Ade. We still had Crambe and Torpey. At a time we needed to strengthen the rest of the side much better, particularly midfield. Hewlett, Tinman and the early throws of Tommy Doc wasn't enough. 

Ah what a absolute shambles that was. Still, it was cool having Testimetanu, Seebok and a few other exotic names in the teamsheet 

Always wondered what might have happened if we'd stuck with Benny for a bit in div 2. Rather than letting Pulis bring in the likes of Mortimer and Steve Jones :(

He did not do much, but my abiding memory of Anderson was away v Sunderland. Live on Sky (a rarity for us), where we got completely and utterly stuffed, he comes on at one nil down and belts in an equalizer late on. Good goal, but across the match completely undeserved point.

It was a complete robbery, but it was easy to see across the 90 who would finish higher that season.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone else remember "AKINBIYI PLEASE STAY" painted on one of the rock faces on Avon Gorge?

Worth remembering £1.2m was a lot of money back then. We spent a few mill that summer, whereas Watford who came up with us spent about £300k.

Watford were promoted straight up to the Premier League. We finished bottom of the league.

Classic Bristol City

Spent it all on forwards, didn’t we? Tony Thorpe and Soren Andersen

Then tried to bring in defenders on the cheap. As you say, classic City

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

He did not do much, but my abiding memory of Anderson was away v Sunderland. Live on Sky (a rarity for us), where we got completely and utterly stuffed, he comes on at one nil down and belts in an equalizer late on. Good goal, but across the match completely undeserved point.

It was a complete robbery, but it was easy to see across the 90 who would finish higher that season.

Yep that was an absolute treat! Did Sunderland have Phillips then or am I mixing eras? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yep that was an absolute treat! Did Sunderland have Phillips then or am I mixing eras? 

Phillips scored their goal, Welch saved a penalty from him & about 5 others that should have gone in.

Remember the novelty at the time of being on Sky & pretty sure @77 punk and I went on a post match drinking session to celebrate..

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Had to look, but Sorenson in goal for them that night. Welch for us who played a complete blinder, including from memory saving a penalty.

Edit: being a numpty. Yes Kevin Phillips for them up front.

Edited by cityexile
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

People say fans are more impatient these days due to social media etc. But worth recalling in '98 the atmosphere at the club was so bad that by the end of Sept the players were coming out with messages to the fans on t-shirts to try and get us back onside! This pic from the 5-2 win over Crewe.

IMG_1165_594.jpg

Such a wild season!

8 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Allows other players around him to thrive.” – Swansea City make move for Luton Town forward: The Verdict

Justin Peach - 26m ago

I raise you;

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-citys-interest-luton-town-26086660

Says Bristol City in pole position - but that was from this morning....

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

People say fans are more impatient these days due to social media etc. But worth recalling in '98 the atmosphere at the club was so bad that by the end of Sept the players were coming out with messages to the fans on t-shirts to try and get us back onside! This pic from the 5-2 win over Crewe.

IMG_1165_594.jpg

That Crewe game was the one when John Ward went into the Atyeo corner and then along the walkway of the Dolman before the game shaking hands with fans and asking for support.

Remember it well as I was one of them.

It certainly worked in that game, the City team and fans inspired by Colin Cramb from the first minute irrc., but of course he was sacked about a month later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Ade Akinbiyi comparison with Semenyo, the former had a terrible time at Leicester iirc, let's hope Semenyo fairs better. Just did not work for him when he moved to Leicester (Akinbyi).

That said he is often hyped as all time terrible but 11 goals in 58 isn't all thst terrible. The way his time there is often spoken about though I assumed his record would have been worse.

Leicester made the mistake there, they bought Ade and immediately sold Guppy, if they kept Guppy as well i reckon Ade would have thrived off of balls slung in for him to attack.  Guppy was up there if not better than Beckham when it came to crossing

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Edited by TRL
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That Crewe game was the one when John Ward went into the Atyeo corner and then along the walkway of the Dolman before the game shaking hands with fans and asking for support.

Remember it well as I was one of them.

It certainly worked in that game, the City team and fans inspired by Colin Cramb from the first minute irrc., but of course he was sacked about a month later.

Dario Gradi said it was the most hostile and partisan crowd he had experienced.

Only about 9k/10k there.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Was HTV wasn’t it.  Pretty sure I watched it and we didn’t have Sky! Edit:   Not that it matters - just asking for my own sanity ?

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

IMG_1165_594.jpg

Tshirts produced by Banksy was the rumour at the time, possibly also who painted the message on the Avon Gorge,

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Tough one for Cornick. Will he move to Bristol - a thriving, forward thinking hub of English culture; or Swansea, once described as ‘Wales’ armpit’.

Swansea, is 100% better than it was and it looks like a veritable oasis after you have just driven past Port Talbot! :) 

Generally the only issue is that it's just so far from anything else, even when you are close to something nice like Tenby it takes ages to get there because of the roads. It does have one of only two Denny's restaurants in the UK though...