IGNORED

Who?

Selred

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We were profitable because the management team brought Kelly into the first team and sold him for over £20m inc add ons? Are you actually trying to portray that as a negative? 

The wage bill was what the owner sanctioned, and about 14th in the division whilst LJ was here.

It's now top 10 according to Richard Gould. 

Which manager was/is performing?

Context. 

The problem with the Kelly sale happening in May was that it ended up in the same year’s accounts as Bryan, Flint and Reid and turned a loss into a profit, and therefore one excellent year (peak) against forthcoming losses (troughs).  What’s wrong with that?  Nothing aside from FFP, when that year’s profit drops out of the calculation.  It’s fine for the cycle up to the recently announced accounts (cycle to 2021-22) but drops off and leaves a gurt big hole for the cycle ending this season (2022-23).  Would’ve really helped us to have had that £20m a year later.

Hey-ho.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Minority of one probably, but I’d like a young, up and coming manager, with fresh ideas, who can work within our limitations. Time to be bold, rather than just going for whichever ‘usual suspect’ has fallen off the merry go round of mediocrity.

I’m so tired of this football club.

We’ve done “young up and coming manager” and it failed.

We’ve done “complete novice” and it failed.

We’ve done “club legend” and it failed.

We’ve done “journeyman coach” and it failed (in the championship).

We’ve done “bloke who did well at a club down the road” and it failed (in the championship).

We’ve done “proven manager who’s been promoted out of the Championship” and even that appears to be failing.

…and yet the answer is always another new manager. I’m not saying Pearson should stay. But neither am I convinced anyone else would do any better. I’m just sick to death of constant mediocrity and disappointment from a club that has the potential to be so much more.

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We’ve done “bloke who did well at a club down the road” and it failed (in the championship).

We’ve done “proven manager who’s been promoted out of the Championship” and even that appears to be failing.

…and yet the answer is always another new manager. I’m not saying Pearson should stay. But neither am I convinced anyone else would do any better. I’m just sick to death of constant mediocrity and disappointment from a club that has the potential to be so much more.

Maybe the issue is this constant change of strategy, rather than seeking continuity. We also have to accept that we will always be a smaller Championship side, and don’t have the resources to try and buy promotion. It’s a pity we tried that a few years ago, de-stabilising finances, and meaning the quality youngsters are coming through at a bad time.

Doubt NP will be around long now, let’s see if we look for a sensible, long term strategy, or just go for another ‘usual suspect’, as demanded by this Forum.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harry said:

He’d have been my choice. But unfortunately he already bagged himself another championship job and his team totally outplayed and beat Norwich today. 

My mistake-shows how much attention I pay to any clubs outside of City ? 

I put it down to a gradual disenfranchisement from football ?  

I run a business and both it and my personal household are run on a sound financial basis. BUT my eyes glaze over when I see balance sheets - I have people do that stuff for me and give me the jargon-free summaries - so I tend to skip over posts about club finances on here.

So, can someone give me a quick reminder:

Does a club's manager salary count towards FFP?  Would a club's manager severance pay/compo count towards it?

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I run a business and both it and my personal household are run on a sound financial basis. BUT my eyes glaze over when I see balance sheets - I have people do that stuff for me and give me the jargon-free summaries - so I tend to skip over posts about club finances on here.

So, can someone give me a quick reminder:

Does a club's manager salary count towards FFP?  Would a club's manager severance pay/compo count towards it?

Yes & yes, I think but likely to be a relative drop in the ocean.

2 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Maybe the issue is this constant change of strategy, rather than seeking continuity. We also have to accept that we will always be a smaller Championship side, and don’t have the resources to try and buy promotion. It’s a pity we tried that a few years ago, de-stabilising finances, and meaning the quality youngsters are coming through at a bad time.

Doubt NP will be around long now, let’s see if we look for a sensible, long term strategy, or just go for another ‘usual suspect’, as demanded by this Forum.

This is such a good post, the fact is we have no plan, our manager type varies from appointment to appointment without any clear ethos.

Pearson is the first in some while to make huge use of the Academy (whether through necessity or by choice is moot) so whoever follows him has to keep on that path.

I am coming around to the conclusion that he was the right manager but at the wrong time, though probably only Terry Cooper inherited a tougher ask & he was doing so in the bottom division.

I strongly suspect it will be Euell, that is an almighty gamble as he’s never managed before but as we did this with Holden, Millen, Tinnion, Lumsden & Fawthrop it is the nearest to a “plan” that we have, shame that largely doing this has failed & we have not reflected on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about somebody we've not heard of? The British big names are expensive, the internal appointments too inexperienced but when did we last look abroad for a manager? More than 20 years ago and it didn't quite work, so the whole idea has been given up on.

Just as with players, there's value there but you have to look for it. You have to know what you want and do your homework but the likes of Huddersfield and Barnsley have been able to bring in very good managers from abroad (and some bad ones, I admit).

We can have a better manager than Nigel Pearson, but if the money isn't there then the club will need to be smart and it will need to put the work in. Spending a bit of money on a strategy and some research could save a lot in wages and compensation but the club has never seemed prepared to do that.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I remember the good old days when you used to bash me for posts like this 

Welcome to the dark side ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

How about somebody we've not heard of? The British big names are expensive, the internal appointments too inexperienced but when did we last look abroad for a manager? More than 20 years ago and it didn't quite work, so the whole idea has been given up on.

Just as with players, there's value there but you have to look for it. You have to know what you want and do your homework but the likes of Huddersfield and Barnsley have been able to bring in very good managers from abroad (and some bad ones, I admit).

We can have a better manager than Nigel Pearson, but if the money isn't there then the club will need to be smart and it will need to put the work in. Spending a bit of money on a strategy and some research could save a lot in wages and compensation but the club has never seemed prepared to do that.

Problem is we don’t appear to have the organisation in place to do so.

The CEO is leaving, the chairman is out of his depth & the owner wants to sell.

Our big idea always seems to be to get someone back that SL already knows & likes, so that’s LJ or Tinnion. Pearson only got the job because we were sinking fast under Holden & no one else wanted it.

All pretty “corner shop” in truth..

16 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I’d like a manager who isn’t cocky enough to say fans booing him doesn’t bother him as he’s been booed in bigger stadiums than Ashton Gate. We can afford a new manager more than we can afford to go down.  I’ve not been Pearson Out yet but very close now after the last two games and what he has said today 

Why does that comment bother you? 

Just now, Davefevs said:

@Red-Robbo

GrahamC is right re the financial side of manager ins / outs.

Cheers. And tbf @GrahamC is right about most things.

It would be depressing to think Pearson is untouchable because we can't afford to get rid of him though. 

As I've said, I just cannot explain some of his decision-making recently and - taken as a whole - it's costing us more points than any number of individual mistakes  bad luck and reffing incompetence.  

However, I don't expect Lansdown to pull the trigger unless we fall into the relegation zone and stay there for a few weeks though. That man has the turning circle of an oil tanker. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Cheers. And tbf @GrahamC is right about most things.

It would be depressing to think Pearson is untouchable because we can't afford to get rid of him though. 

As I've said, I just cannot explain some of his decision-making recently and - taken as a whole - it's costing us more points than any number of individual mistakes  bad luck and reffing incompetence.  

However, I don't expect Lansdown to pull the trigger unless we fall into the relegation zone and stay there for a few weeks though. That man has the turning circle of an oil tanker. 

Just to continue the mutual admiration society, I think you’re right here too ?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Robins is the amazing one. Good mates with Lansdown too. Cov didn't have a pitch to play on first three weeks of the season. That's adversity. 

Pearson has a much better squad. 

I wanted Robins a long time ago but many on here were completely opposed. What is so, so frustrating is that we seem to turn Gold into turd. We get a bloke like Steve Coppell who had done it all with a similar sized club and within six weeks he buggered off. Why? 
If Robins had joined us ,when he was so close to landing the job last time , I am convinced that today he would be an ex-Bristol City manager tearing it up for another club. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Minority of one probably, but I’d like a young, up and coming manager, with fresh ideas, who can work within our limitations. Time to be bold, rather than just going for whichever ‘usual suspect’ has fallen off the merry go round of mediocrity.

3 managers/head coaches I really like and reckon they would be good.  Trouble is they’ve all moved jobs fairly recently.

Rob edwards. (Not going to get as just gone Luton)

Paul warne (just gone derby so ain’t going to get)

Michael duff at Barnsley.  Was quality at chelt now doing really well at Barnsley.

We all know money is tight so no point appointing a high profile manager in same ilk as Pearson eg wilder.  He left boro after moaning of lack of funds there let alone here.

A coach willing to work with squad he’s got and try and coach them better rather than just demand new players all the time.

A left field option would be Justin Cochran,  really highly thought of at Man Utd and at the fa.  Now head of coaching at Brentford.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

No, wrong. Wrong, wrong, WRONG!

Give me fantasy over your blinkin' reality, please.

Think we would all prefer fantasy over reality at present.

Problem is we then all wake up & it’s unchanged.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

I hate this statement. Why do we have to accept that? Did Brentford accept that? Brighton? Burnley? Bournemouth? Merely three examples.

We’re a big city, one of the biggest in the country, with a big fanbase, a great stadium, an attractive place to live, and no bigger clubs for miles around. We have far greater potential than any number of clubs who have achieved more than us in the Premier League era and beyond.

I don’t want to be told “we just have to accept it”. Maybe that mentality is precisely why we never get anywhere. I’m really sick of supporting us.

• Like 1