IGNORED

Demonstration Saturday

Rocking Red Cyril

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A poster said here the other Day it's what happens on the pitch that really matters. Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Agree partly with what you are saying but equally look at the mess we are in now because of the off the pitch antics. It pains me when you see  others strengthening and we just look like we are hoping for the best. Obviously no money equals no transfers but what we have isn't the greatest quality in squad depth.

And so you see how everything that happens on the pitch is dependent upon what happens off it. Bad management of the books means no money in the transfer market means we sell our best players and buy worse and so have a weaker squad and so lose games.

Get it right off the pitch and you drastically increase your chances of getting it right on the pitch.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

"We're bottom of the league due to our points deduction and STILL haven't signed anyone this January! We're sleepwalking towards relegation! Lansdown get your wallet out and show some bloody ambition........2 quality Championship strikers, an experienced midfielder on loan from the Prem, and a solid CB all needed as a MINIMUM!" ???

Was that the tweet Geoff read out last night?  Sounds like it.  Arghhhhhhh!

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Obviously a lot of flak in the direction of Ashton, Lansdown and various others as to our current financial state but.... 

Imagine a world without covid and where the transfer market didn't implode to the degree it did.

Would the club have 'cashed in' some of the assets before the were at end of contract and leaving on a free and if they had, would they have still been about promoting youth players or would they have just spent and gone again in a hope that they'd have found a few more players to profit from? As a business model, it was always flawed, but I do wonder that if the rug had been pulled out from under the leadership spend and sell policy when it did, could we be in a much worse situation where we'd have continued to sign players for strong money on large salaries and hope that every year there is a multi-million pound trasfer that balances the books.

We were quite possibly a window or two away from being in an even worse position.

If the transfer market didn’t implode I believe we would’ve got some fees for the players we let go OOC, or those coming up to going OOC.  But we’d also have carried on paying £20k p.w wages, spending money on players, and still be making losses far bigger than we ought to.  The quality of squad diminished massively when Webster and Brownhill went.  This is the problem I thought we were sleep-walking into.  Covid hastened it, but only slightly.  Covid allowances have saved our bacon.  The reality of no incomings, players leaving for zilch / some at a cost (like Nagy and Palmer) was gonna happen anyway imho.  It’s why I’ve been moaning about the finances for the last 3/4 years having started getting into the detail 5/6 years ago.  It was coming…I still can’t believe SL couldn’t see it.

8 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A poster said here the other Day it's what happens on the pitch that really matters. Spot on.

Absolutely….but it’s massively influenced by what happens off of it! ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I saw a tweet the other day possibly from one of these types of characters. Having a go at Pearson for not buying anyone and SL for not getting his chequebook out -clueless 

Cheque-book eh? 

I believe I may have seen one of these around the time we had our last penalty.

Probably a thing of the past.

Though I suspect Kalas still has one.

Not sure, so you'll have to Czech for yourself.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If the transfer market didn’t implode I believe we would’ve got some fees for the players we let go OOC, or those coming up to going OOC.  But we’d also have carried on paying £20k p.w wages, spending money on players, and still be making losses far bigger than we ought to.  The quality of squad diminished massively when Webster and Brownhill went.  This is the problem I thought we were sleep-walking into.  Covid hastened it, but only slightly.  Covid allowances have saved our bacon.  The reality of no incomings, players leaving for zilch / some at a cost (like Nagy and Palmer) was gonna happen anyway imho.  It’s why I’ve been moaning about the finances for the last 3/4 years having started getting into the detail 5/6 years ago.  It was coming…I still can’t believe SL couldn’t see it.

There's no accounting for this oversight.

Even the world's worst clairvoyant could have predicted how this was going to end up. No disrepect to Gypsy Rose Ashton,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

You've completely missed the point of that sentence. It's called sarcasm. Jesus wept. To be fair, what did I expect from someone who has misspelled the name of the City Legend he's named himself after? 

Always assumed it was Louie Donowa.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

You've completely missed the point of that sentence. It's called sarcasm. Jesus wept. To be fair, what did I expect from someone who has misspelled the name of the City Legend he's named himself after? 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Always assumed it was Louie Donowa.

No it is in fact Brian Donowa.

The Louie is a middle name but spelled like that according to Wikipedia. I guess you could argue the second Louie is not capitalized In @Oh Louie louie handle but I would reckon that’s being a bit pedantic. 

Now what is everyone arguing about?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

No it is in fact Brian Donowa.

The Louie is a middle name but spelled like that according to Wikipedia. I guess you could argue the second Louie is not capitalized In @Oh Louie louie handle but I would reckon that’s being a bit pedantic. 

Now what is everyone arguing about?

Only 1 oh Louie, Louie chant I've ever heard down the Gate, sung with great gusto with 2 fingers waving towards the Open End.

Louie Donowa, gas conqueror and City legend.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@gl2

Not necessarily the clubs fault that, that's part of the wider environment changes both in the game itself and government legislation. Having said that some clubs probably buy into it more than others.

Quite so, but sometimes it’s just the little things that make a difference.  

Imagine going to the cinema, or theatre and they keep the main auditorium lighting on throughout the performance.  Not going to happen as it kills the viewing experience.

It doesn’t seem to bother our club though, even though well acknowledged to really detract from the spectator’s experience.  I get there’s the SAG, but plenty of other clubs get round that problem.  

We often discuss on here the muted atmosphere at the Gate and I think this is a big factor, along with dumping the most vocal section of the fanbase right in the corner of the ground.

Just two examples of why I just don’t believe the supporters come that high on the owner’s priority list to brutally honest.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Selred said:

It's all relative though. Lansdown is a good owner, but he has reached his limit. I don't expect us to ever really be more than a mid table Championship club under Lansdown. He hasn't got the motivation or skills to take us to the next level.

He is therefore better than a lot of other clubs owners, but not everything is black and white.

Having watched us in all 4 divisions since the late 60's there has been many a season when mid table Championship seemed like a distant dream. Even the past few seasons. Right now I would happily settle for mid table Championship for the next couple of years at least. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Having watched us in all 4 divisions since the late 60's there has been many a season when mid table Championship seemed like a distant dream. Even the past few seasons. Right now I would happily settle for mid table Championship for the next couple of years at least. Be careful what you wish for.

I think we were in 3rd division south (ask your dad) when I started watching mid 50s. That's almost 70 years of football and after this season,  which may be  my last,  we could be back in exactly the same place. What progress! You young uns are expecting far too much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Imagine going to the cinema, or theatre and they keep the main auditorium lighting on throughout the performance.  Not going to happen as it kills the viewing experience.

It doesn’t seem to bother our club though, even though well acknowledged to really detract from the spectator’s experience.  I get there’s the SAG, but plenty of other clubs get round that problem.  

We often discuss on here the muted atmosphere at the Gate and I think this is a big factor, along with dumping the most vocal section of the fanbase right in the corner of the ground.

Just two examples of why I just don’t believe the supporters come that high on the owner’s priority list to brutally honest.

Fair points. I am sceptical about whether we can get the lighting thing changed but it is also possible that the club are not exactly battling very hard over it.

Same goes for some of our noisier fans being put where they are, SAG may have issues but it may also be something the club don't mind too much about. I would suggest on point 2 that the policing and stewarding bill would likely increase were the fans in closer proximity so the current status quo may suit the club just fine with that.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Brilliant post and completely agree. Nothing pisses me off more at Ashton Gate than the lights in the stands being on all match for night games. Under the lights means the pitch not us! 

When I first started going there it wasn’t like this and loads of other grounds switch the lights off. Puts me off going if it’s an evening KO to be honest. 

And to previous points I think they want a rugby crowd for the football, sat down, clapping politely all together. ????

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair points. I am sceptical about whether we can get the lighting thing changed but it is also possible that the club are not exactly battling very hard over it.

Same goes for some of our noisier fans being put where they are, SAG may have issues but it may also be something the club don't mind too much about. I would suggest on point 2 that the policing and stewarding bill would likely increase were the fans in closer proximity so the current status quo may suit the club just fine with that.

Exactly and that’s my main point, I don’t think the club will fight any fan causes.  

It’ll be interesting to see if the new CEO has any input, given Palace’s seemingly much more fan friendly attitude.

Think it’s pretty nailed on that Steve’s response would be something along the lines of ‘we’re not having any of that nonsense here’.

Results are all important, never more so than in the modern, social media day. If City win 3-0 on Saturday, there will be no moans, no protests, Lansdown and Pearson will be flavour of the month again (well for a few days anyway). Likewise, if we are beaten on Saturday, it will be the end of the world. Thankfully, owners and boards sometimes (not always) see the bigger picture. Pearson is slowly building a team, whilst getting rid of players he doesn't want and reducing the wage bill. This is not an easy task and not something that can be achieved in a few months. 

As other posters have pointed out, Alan Dicks, arguably City's greatest manager, took years to assemble a team competitive enough to make the top flight. Patience is very hard in football, but that is what is required at the moment.

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, chinapig said:

The problem is such a protest would be too late. The damage has been done thanks to Steve giving Ashton a free hand. Any protest now would be against the people trying to repair the damage. Which seems not very well thought through.

It's like having a builder make a mess of your house then suing the builder who fixed it.

Although in this analogy it’s the same builder who oversaw the damage and is now sorting the repairs.

FWIW I agree with others that it’s too late to be doing this now, nothings going to change. The damage has been done, we’re in the process of fixing it and Lansdown’s trying to sell up. Don’t see what else can be done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Brilliant post and completely agree. Nothing pisses me off more at Ashton Gate than the lights in the stands being on all match for night games. Under the lights means the pitch not us! 

When I first started going there it wasn’t like this and loads of other grounds switch the lights off. Puts me off going if it’s an evening KO to be honest. 

And to previous points I think they want a rugby crowd for the football, sat down, clapping politely all together. ????

Right with you? I can still clearly remember the buzz you used to get at evening matches when the lights went down.  It was a feeling of, right here we go then and your adrenaline would start pumping and all your attention would be on the pitch.  

Never got that same magic with them bleedin lights on?

As you say, they probably want the Rugby crowd, but we don’t have the benefit of taking our beers to the seats!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Although in this analogy it’s the same builder who oversaw the damage and is now sorting the repairs.

FWIW I agree with others that it’s too late to be doing this now, nothings going to change. The damage has been done, we’re in the process of fixing it and Lansdown’s trying to sell up. Don’t see what else can be done.

No, Steve was the architect who chose notorious dodgy builders Ashton & Johnson Ltd. Having overspent the budget he discovered the house was falling down so he had to bring in Gould & Pearson Ltd to rebuild it.

It's my analogy and I reserve the right to make it up as I go along!

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

No, Steve was the architect who chose notorious dodgy builders Ashton & Johnson Ltd. Having overspent the budget he discovered the house was falling down so he had to bring in Gould & Pearson Ltd to rebuild it.

It's my analogy and I reserve the right to make it up as I go along!

Thank god he never got Ashton & Johnson Ltd to do the ground redevelopment as well, or we’d be well and truly f****d!

• Haha 2

All, 

In the age of instant gratification is it its almost impossible to comprehend the concept of deferred gratification.

I myself am not happy....not even content with the levels of performance I'm observing at AG. Rather than being a theatre of dreams it has turned into a perpetual nightmare accented by poor decision making and individual mistakes. 

We are desperately trying to cling to Championship staus with a handful of players, some with great potential, others could be considered driftwood in another team. The FFP and reality of a possible points deduction has tied hands and limited expenditure. 

Whilst we may not like it, we have a big portion of the deferred gratification pie....its tastes like a shit sandwich, we may have to take more than one bite....but we all have to buckle in for the ride.

In May we may all well be breathing a sign of relief and have a free card to start to build the team NP wants. 

Can't see who would replace him...who would want to under such circumstances? I think Pearson has undertaken a massive task that takes great courage. 

A few individuals with a bed sheet and a painted message are the last of his concerns at present...he has the resilience to persist under draconian restraints...don't think he'll be worried by a 100% cotton sheet from Dunelm.

For the record I am no NP fan, I agree his record here has been awful. But, we have who we have and we are where we are. 

COYRS

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I'm really not getting the backlash to the protest. If people wanna do that then that's fine  Their prerogative .

Maybe I've missed something obvious, but hey ho

Something obvious like what are they marching for? What is the objective of the protest?

Is it Pearson out? Is it to be fans and not customers? Is it the safe return of their club? 
All of it? If so when? 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I'm really not getting the backlash to the protest. If people wanna do that then that's fine  Their prerogative .

Maybe I've missed something obvious, but hey ho

8 minutes ago, SBB said:

Something obvious like what are they marching for? What is the objective of the protest?

Is it Pearson out? Is it to be fans and not customers? Is it the safe return of their club? 
All of it? If so when? 

Yes, this.

Of course they have the right to protest, but it's a weird hotchpotch with no overarching objective. Individual points I have some sympathy on, modern game has it's less positive elements albeit a lot of these the club has little say in.

"What do we want?"

"We don't know!"

"When do we want it?"

"We're unsure- ASAP!?"

• Like 5