IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness the article is pretty much copy and pasting James Piercy’s transcript, so the detail is accurate.

You’ll know I’ve talked a fair bit about long-term succession for James and Williams (and Naismith to a lesser extreme).  I’d earmarked Archie Collins, but he’s gone to Posh.  Shame.  So it was good to hear Nige talking like that too.

Part of this is about freeing up HNM’s wages to spend as well.

We are still waiting to see what happens with 4 or 5 players but are presumably already working on the basis now that he & Kalas are both off.

I’d have liked Collins too but until the futures of a number are sorted, having decided to spend our available funds on defenders are a bit in limbo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbcfc said:

nige has been quoted as saying we will sign midfielders ‘to play with’ scott, not replace him, so that indicates that we’ll be looking to bring at least one in before the end of the window

Yeah but what he's said I take with a pinch of salt as he's got to think that Scott is currently our player and so when he's buying he's buying to play with Scott. If he were to say "I'm looking for replacements for Scott" when there is no deal in place to sell Scott and then one didn't happen it would not only be disrespectful to Scott but it would also make it look like he's planned for Scott to go.
I think Pearson wants Scott to stay, everyone does, but until the deal is confirmed he has to say he's looking for players to play with Scott rather than in place of him, it's just common sense .

I think Pearson has a plan if Scott stays but I also think he has a plan for if he goes, he knows full well that the latter is highly likely if a club meet the valuation and so right now he's buying players to play with Scott but if Scott goes the plans will simply change to the plan he has if Scott goes where those midfielders will form the midfielder and we may get one or two more in.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah but what he's said I take with a pinch of salt as he's got to think that Scott is currently our player and so when he's buying he's buying to play with Scott. If he were to say "I'm looking for replacements for Scott" when there is no deal in place to sell Scott and then one didn't happen it would not only be disrespectful to Scott but it would also make it look like he's planned for Scott to go.
I think Pearson wants Scott to stay, everyone does, but until the deal is confirmed he has to say he's looking for players to play with Scott rather than in place of him, it's just common sense .

I think Pearson has a plan if Scott stays but I also think he has a plan for if he goes, he knows full well that the latter is highly likely if a club meet the valuation and so right now he's buying players to play with Scott but if Scott goes the plans will simply change to the plan he has if Scott goes where those midfielders will form the midfielder and we may get one or two more in.

City confirmed they have two transfer plans, one with Scott and one without,

We are currently working on the one where Scott stays

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roddy-d said:

Callum Styles being linked as Scott replacement. I would be happy with that. 

I thought we were determined to sign bigger, brawnier players and up the physicality of our team, especially height wise.

Wiki has got Styles at 5ft 6", smaller than Dasilva.

1 hour ago, roddy-d said:

Callum Styles being linked as Scott replacement. I would be happy with that. 

Assuming it's the Football League World piece that just says we could be interested. A suggestion not a rumour then.

It also says that Watford are trying to agree a fee with Barnsley and that Millwall would be interested but the release clause is too big.

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I thought we were determined to sign bigger, brawnier players and up the physicality of our team, especially height wise.

Wiki has got Styles at 5ft 6", smaller than Dasilva.

I believe that was more at the back. You can’t have a team of 6ft 3ers absolutely everywhere who can also run/press for days….especially in a forward role…there aren’t that many around! 

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Assuming it's the Football League World piece that just says we could be interested. A suggestion not a rumour then.

It also says that Watford are trying to agree a fee with Barnsley and that Millwall would be interested but the release clause is too big.

Just been discussing Styles with others on WhatsApp?

image.thumb.png.0c078470231438366473a68205eae1a9.png

I’m not sure what to make of him.

My stats not really helping me out either.

IMG_7899.thumb.jpeg.c83cbef841a8144453a3d6ee67308695.jpeg

Played all over for Millwall, more back up to Wallace (LB), and minutes in midfield or wide left.  You’d imagine Millwall getting Bryan has weakened their interest in Styles, and maybe this is an agent led piece from player or Barnsley?

IMG_7897.thumb.jpeg.176240dd25cee513608421d3e500f1b4.jpeg

Need to spend a bit f time watching him, because he didn’t jump out for me last season when watching Millwall, and in the game against us, he came on as sub for last half hour as a defensive left sided midfield as we pressed for a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

What's happening with Knight?

Surely back from holiday break to make his mind up if future.

Have we moved on to different target ?

We havent had a bid accepted yet

Edited by Monkeh

57 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

What's happening with Knight?

Surely back from holiday break to make his mind up if future.

Have we moved on to different target ?

Derby are just waiting for a £10m bid from Mark Ashton Ipswich!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I believe that was more at the back. You can’t have a team of 6ft 3ers absolutely everywhere who can also run/press for days….especially in a forward role…there aren’t that many around! 

I agree it was probably mostly at the back but also a question of beefing up the whole team.

We always seem to be smaller than the opposition and that's been the case for years.

I don't mean players have to be 6ft 3" all over the pitch, just maybe look for players to be at least approaching average height if possible, even 5ft9/10" isn't exactly tall these days, and 5ft 6" really is exceptionally short for a pro footballer.

He'd surely be the smallest player on the pitch most weeks and that's a genuine drawback imo unless he's an exceptional fit in all other respects.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree it was probably mostly at the back but also a question of beefing up the whole team.

We always seem to be smaller than the opposition and that's been the case for years.

I don't mean players have to be 6ft 3" all over the pitch, just maybe look for players to be at least approaching average height if possible, even 5ft9/10" isn't exactly tall these days, and 5ft 6" really is exceptionally short for a pro footballer.

He'd surely be the smallest player on the pitch most weeks and that's a genuine drawback imo unless he's an exceptional fit in all other respects.

How tall is Messi?

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Malago said:

How tall is Messi?

Taller than Styles at 5'7 and a damn sight more talented but this is the Knight thread ?

Edit: my mistake, we are having the Styles conversation in the Knight thread, not the one that was started for Styles. As you were ?

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, Elder is a LB, Nelson is a CB.

No idea if true, but there’s definitely logic to it.

I think @iamalagerdrinker is referring to the Joe Ward signing. 

The rumour was that Derby initially wanted Wilson, but didn’t want to pay the fee. They then signed Ward instead. 

Would make sense to test them by including Wilson in the deal.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If it were to happen what value is placed on Wilson, £300k?

Think the Bolton bid was said to be £200k, effectively covering what we paid as a result of the tribunal.

Certainly makes sense to see if Derby are interested, as obvious we are looking to move him on.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just been discussing Styles with others on WhatsApp?

image.thumb.png.0c078470231438366473a68205eae1a9.png

I’m not sure what to make of him.

My stats not really helping me out either.

IMG_7899.thumb.jpeg.c83cbef841a8144453a3d6ee67308695.jpeg

Played all over for Millwall, more back up to Wallace (LB), and minutes in midfield or wide left.  You’d imagine Millwall getting Bryan has weakened their interest in Styles, and maybe this is an agent led piece from player or Barnsley?

IMG_7897.thumb.jpeg.176240dd25cee513608421d3e500f1b4.jpeg

Need to spend a bit f time watching him, because he didn’t jump out for me last season when watching Millwall, and in the game against us, he came on as sub for last half hour as a defensive left sided midfield as we pressed for a winner.

I like him & when I’ve seen him for Hungary he always seems to do ok, but the Millwall spell didn’t really work out for him & he’s certainly not a replacement for Scott or an obvious defensive midfielder.

He is mobile, covers a lot of ground & is busy but would see him as more of a squad player than a clear starter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I like him & when I’ve seen him for Hungary he always seems to do ok, but the Millwall spell didn’t really work out for him & he’s certainly not a replacement for Scott or an obvious defensive midfielder.

He is mobile, covers a lot of ground & is busy but would see him as more of a squad player than a clear starter.

Any chance the Styles stuff could go in the Styles thread, to stop me thinking something is happening with Knight?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think @iamalagerdrinker is referring to the Joe Ward signing. 

The rumour was that Derby initially wanted Wilson, but didn’t want to pay the fee. They then signed Ward instead. 

Would make sense to test them by including Wilson in the deal.

Yeah, Joe Ward, has played a lot at RWB, I always think he’s wasted there and better on right side of MF.

59 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Any chance the Styles stuff could go in the Styles thread, to stop me thinking something is happening with Knight?

Mods, please can you move the various posts please.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£2.5m has been my prediction magic number wise, maybe it'll be closer to but somewhere between £2-2.5m.

No way have we got that still left to spend unless Scott leaves.

We’ve already shelled out somewhere between £1.7m & £2.5m in this window & haven’t got a penny back in since January.