IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think people understand how modern football transfers work. 

I think people think it goes like buying club scout player, buying club submit bid, selling club accept and then give permission for the buying club to speak to the player. Player then comes down and discusses terms, meets the manager and then makes a decision. 

However the reality is far from that. For example, Mason Mount had agreed terms with Man Utd before Utd had even submitted a bid for him! That's how it sometimes / often works these days.

Yes tapping up is illegal but it goes on in every single transfer so it’s just seen as an acceptable part of the game now.  But you can also bet your bottom dollar that Chelsea has given permission to Mount / His Agent to talk to other clubs.  It might be grudgingly but it will happen.

You don't ever hear of players rejecting clubs these days do you? That's because it all gets agreed well before the two clubs enter discussions. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have submitted bids, we already know that he wants to join us. 

A couple of bits added above.

The one to watch here is David Raya.  Allegedly agreed personal terms with Spurs, but fee still up in the air.

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think people understand how modern football transfers work. 

I think people think it goes like buying club scout player, buying club submit bid, selling club accept and then give permission for the buying club to speak to the player. Player then comes down and discusses terms, meets the manager and then makes a decision. 

However the reality is far from that. For example, Mason Mount had agreed terms with Man Utd before Utd had even submitted a bid for him! That's how it works these days.

Yes tapping up is illegal but it goes on in every single transfer so its just seen as an acceptable part of the game now. 

You don't ever hear of players rejecting clubs these days do you? That's because it all gets agreed well before the two clubs enter discussions. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have submitted bids, we already know that he wants to join us. 

“Wants to join us”? or “Has put us on his shortlist of clubs who meet his criteria”?

I’ve got a strangely good feeling about this one.

Feel like we’d have moved onto the next target and it would’ve come out by now if we weren’t confident on getting JK.

Time will tell, but the fact Percy said we’re getting closer on it is a good sign for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

Of course most players speak to other clubs before a bid is made, & you are right that not many will say "actually no i don't want to join you" - all modern day footballers, particularly in the lower leagues, will always keep their options open & not burn bridges. He is likely to have already met with Ipswich as well & told them he "wants to join".

This one is anything but a certain signing in my books.

Of course every single transfer is very complicated with lots of moving parts and lots of people involved. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have made multiple bids, we must be very confident that he wants to join us and this would be based on talks with him and his agent. If we wasnt confident then we'd not be wasting our time on making bids and would be moving on to our next target.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course every single transfer is very complicated with lots of moving parts and lots of people involved. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have made multiple bids, we must be very confident that he wants to join us and this would be based on talks with him and his agent. If we wasnt confident then we'd not be wasting our time on making bids and would be moving on to our next target.

Back in the day, didn't clubs give 'permission to talk to the player' once a bid had been accepted or have I imagined it? ? 

11 hours ago, Jimbo123 said:

I’ve got a strangely good feeling about this one.

Feel like we’d have moved onto the next target and it would’ve come out by now if we weren’t confident on getting JK.

Time will tell, but the fact Percy said we’re getting closer on it is a good sign for me.

Agree, think we will get him. Whether he will fill the hole, post Alex, is another question.

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

Agree, think we will get him. Whether he will fill the hole, post Alex, is another question.

Want a hole filled - should be signing Cribbins.

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of chatter at the Ipswich end.

If that's accurate he is having a medical today, only time will tell.

Screenshot_20230626-153951_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5bd734665a8cc3258fd4f41393ec5e34.jpg

Would not be a big surprise being outbid by Ipswich. Presume we have been working on other targets. If true  though still a bitter pill to swallow that Ashton gets one of our targets. 

10 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Would not be a big surprise being outbid by Ipswich. Presume we have been working on other targets. If true  though still a bitter pill to swallow that Ashton gets one of our targets. 

I've seen this pop up a few times. Is it really? They are likely to be shopping in the same sort of market. It's just one of those things. I couldn't care less if it's to Ipswich. I'm more gutted if true because I think he'd be a great addition however as one door closes another one opens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I've seen this pop up a few times. Is it really? They are likely to be shopping in the same sort of market. It's just one of those things. I couldn't care less if it's to Ipswich. I'm more gutted if true because I think he'd be a great addition however as one door closes another one opens.

Haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet, it has yet to surface on Newsnow Championship. But if true perhaps they get Knight and we get Taylor. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet, it has yet to surface on Newsnow Championship. But if true perhaps they get Knight and we get Taylor. 

Wouldn’t make sense, they player most expensive as far as transfer value demand from selling club going to the club with less money to spend.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

For me. Yes it is. 

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Jack Taylor signing for Ipswich. 

I’d say that heavily points to Knight coming here 

Good player, elegant looking player.  The big question is whether he can translate his Lg1 ability to Champ.  His previous season (21/22) showed a drop off in his effectiveness at this level (compared to 22/23 in Lg1).  Of course some of that could be because he was at a struggling Peterborough side, and against better players.  But tgat is what recruitment is all about, trying to find those that can step-up.

He’s 25, so in his peak years.

Will be interested to see where he fits into Ipswich’s 4231 (predominant), as Chaplin will play in the “10”, so Taylor will be competing with Morsy and Luongo (amongst others).

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Peterborough are absolutely full of shit, they always start with this sort of figure before coming into contact with reality.

Year left on his contract, 6 months ago, they were probably hopeful he’d extend / they’d go up.  The goalposts have moved.

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Jack Taylor signing for Ipswich. 

I’d say that heavily points to Knight coming here 

Good news if you're first sentence is correct. Let's wait and see about your second.

After all, "there's many a slip betwixt cup and lip", as Shakespeare said during the transfer window of 1601. Alternative version? "Don't count thee chickens before them hatched" Adge Cutler, also 1601 (being the century in which the county of Zzzzzomerzet appears to still exist in). 

@GrahamC - calm down ?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 3