IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

2 hours ago, George Rs said:

Think Jason Knight currently, seems like a more defensive version of Andi. Not necessarily one of the best in the league at any one thing (semenyo -pace&power, scotty beating a man/chance creation) but very good all around. As the stats shown by @Davefevs suggest. 

Can understand why people at first might turn their noses up, might not be the flashiest or the most intriguing player to watch, but not every player can be. 

Seems very adept in the press, composed, passes well and good tackling. Imo all of what I want from a central midfielder.

Seems that some forget he’s also only 21 as well, if we do end up spending 2m or around there on him, it’s clear that he’s favoured by Pearson because he has a plan for him. Might see him as a Korey smith type, hassles opponents and doesn’t give them space. Or a Josh Brownhill, deep chance creation etc.

A Pearson transfer hasn’t let me down yet, except Wilson (injuries most likely ruined his city career), so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one.

think he could be the brownhill replacement we never truly got. williams could’ve been that, and i like him, but ultimately he’s not quite the same runner and injuries have let him down.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

The usual suspects will criticise and talk down about all of our signings, that's their right. But I'm gonna give the team of Nigel Pearson, Jason Euell, Curtis Fleming and Brian Tinnion some credit and say maybe, just maybe, they know a bit more about football, footballers and tactics than even the best posters on here. 

Spot on mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

He said yesterday that he doesn’t know what he is going to do & is going to go away for a few weeks to think things over - think we are likely to have moved on to other targets by that stage especially if Derby want a bidding war.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-an-ambitious-person-irelands-jason-knight-to-weigh-up-future-at-derby/a816436125.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

The stats that the average fan focuses on tell you precisely nothing about a player. 

The stats that are useful help us understand performance and reaffirm or counter the most important aspect, the eye test. 

People are hoodwinked by the daftest stats, like assists (worst stat ever). What's actually important is tactical roles. There's every chance that we(the club) have seen something in Knight that makes us(the club) believe he can contribute in a role he may yet have played in his career. As Dave has pointed out, the third man runs from midfield is something we don't have and will absolutely need if we are going to play with a more possession dominant mindset next season. 

Those runs from deeper positions (like Mason Mount and peak Henderson of a few years ago) will compliment players like Mehmeti (under laps create space for a "take on" ) and Cornick (holds the ball at his feet and likes to flick inside or outside with both heel and outside of the foot). 

Much as many struggle to see it or refuse to accept football at the pro level is any different to the "Four Four ******* Two" of their grassroots days, there is a detailed and formulated "plan". Every player is, especially now, recruited to fit into that plan or evolve that plan. 

The usual suspects will criticise and talk down about all of our signings, that's their right. But I'm gonna give the team of Nigel Pearson, Jason Euell, Curtis Fleming and Brian Tinnion some credit and say maybe, just maybe, they know a bit more about football, footballers and tactics than even the best posters on here. 

Couldn't agree more PP.

I'd go as far as saying most football fans know very little about the intricacies of football full-stop.

We all have that person sat near us at the Gate who just spouts drivel, about the player should do this, or that player was never offside. 

On paper - a simple game. In reality, football has become increasingly tactical based on shape (changing when defending and attacking), retaining possession through movement and line breaks, along with sending time to study opponents to spot patterns of behaviour that will allow you to spot a weakness you can take advantage.

This forum is amazing to debate and offer contrasting views, but a lot of what is stated, should really be taken with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, westonred said:

A lot of rumours this morning saying that Ipswich are stepping up their interest in Knight now. I would hate to lose out to Ashton 

I doubt we would be able or willing to outbid Ipswich whose owners seem happy to spend whatever it takes to get the players they want.

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

He said yesterday that he doesn’t know what he is going to do & is going to go away for a few weeks to think things over - think we are likely to have moved on to other targets by that stage especially if Derby want a bidding war.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-an-ambitious-person-irelands-jason-knight-to-weigh-up-future-at-derby/a816436125.html

I agree with that.

If we were to offer the asking price and he still wants a few weeks to think about it, then I believe NP will move on to other players. He won't wait on his decision, he'll want players through the door asap imo. Probably already backed off after two bids rejected anyway.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Fixed that for you

FFP will catch them out, especially if they are outbidding in the millions. We have cut our cloth accordingly for this season. I don't know much about Ipswich's squad but having had a quick gander, i don't see anything worthy of note that they can sell if they need to balance out the books. 

Just now, Percy Pig said:

He can't exactly come out and say, "I'm off and I'm going to Bristol City" in the press before a bid has even been accepted can he? 

It's my first summer back on OTIB for a long old time. Is this the general theme? Leaping to conclusions? 

Blooming hell. 

Hence why I said "if".

Makes me laugh some of the stuff people get their nose bent out of shape about on here :laugh: 

37 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He can't exactly come out and say, "I'm off and I'm going to Bristol City" in the press before a bid has even been accepted can he? 

It's my first summer back on OTIB for a long old time. Is this the general theme? Leaping to conclusions? 

Blooming hell. 

Don't think what i stated had anything to do with jumping to conclusions! More of a potential outcome theory based on a "what if" scenario. I have no idea what will happen with this, but can certainly see us walking away if Derby try to play the waiting game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Blooming hell. 

Its opinions, this is still a forum isn't it ?

1 minute ago, BLRed said:

I’m going to stick my neck out and say we’re not signing him. If Ipswich are involved, they will pay what it takes to get him and we won’t be drawn into a bidding war. Move on me thinks

Thats you on the naughty step - DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BLRed said:

I’m going to stick my neck out and say we’re not signing him. If Ipswich are involved, they will pay what it takes to get him and we won’t be drawn into a bidding war. Move on me thinks

You aren't allowed to think independently of the pack......

28 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Chill out Alan Sugar, it's just media speculation right now. I'm sure if it goes over what we're willing to pay we'll move on to the next target.

• Like 1

Even with my red tinted specs off…..he has two mates and international pals here. He’s trained at HPC and said how great the facilities were. Will have no doubt spent time in the city too. Would say our wages would be pretty comparable to Ipswich, and we are far less of a risk than them too. 

If he’s highly driven by money only, then yeah he will probably ‘choose’ Ipswich as we all know what Smokey joe is going to throw at him as their USP. Certainly doesn’t strike me as the type though. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Even with my red tinted specs off…..he has two mates and international pals here. He’s trained at HPC and said how great the facilities were. Will have no doubt spent time in the city too. Would say our wages would be pretty comparable to Ipswich, and we are far less of a risk than them too. 

If he’s highly driven by money only, then yeah he will probably ‘choose’ Ipswich as we all know what Smokey joe is going to throw at him as their USP. Certainly doesn’t strike me as the type though. 

He’ll also see the pathway. Bryan, Reid, Webster, Kelly, Semenyo, Scott… all given the opportunities to progress their careers.

If Stoke are in, as someone on this thread mentioned they can on paper go big or biggish.

Whether they will is a different issue but how they achieved compliance in part I would question from an FFP perspective. However the point is that they can if they choose to go bigger than us this summer based on a) Their actions in 2019-20 which should be worked IMO b) Yes player sales too, higher than us c) Fixed asset sales of £32m profit in 2020-21 and d) Not having that mant players atm!

Unless Scott goes I can't see much more being spent or able to be spent this summer. Of course we can always maybe look to spend a bit mkre first on the proviso that we anticipate a decent Scott fee.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Plus they have 8 centre midfielders already for next season.. who knows we'll find out in due course.

• Like 1