IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

• Admin
13 minutes ago, westonred said:

Surely the lad wants to sort his future out as soon as possible. It seems odd that he wants to take time out and make a decision in a couple of weeks after a holiday

No-one has had a bid accepted yet and his season just ended. I'd be straight off on holidays too. Nothing to stop him "thinking" if a bid is accepted whilst he's away. 

• Like 2

Do people really think that Knight has only just heard of the City interest and bids? 
He and his representatives will have known for some time and likewise had ample opportunity to decide whether to twist or stick. 
Him going on holiday changes nothing imho.
If there are other clubs lurking that didn’t show before then of course he’s going to want to see which is the best move for him and his family. Meanwhile, do we wait or move onto other targets ? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Knowing what we know and have heard from reporters, I feel like the folks looking for 4 million are going to end up a bit disappointed (unless the bidding war really heats up and we stick around).

If they want £4m then Mark Ashton is their man. Though being an expert at trading he may try to talk them up to £5m.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Few random thoughts from the Derby forum.

One of their more financially sensible posters who I forgot to screen shot also thinks £2.5m.

Screenshot_20230621-143416_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5f75c4bae155ac40e6dbc647c8562147.jpgScreenshot_20230621-143435_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ceb36e95e36848a5b5c0f7f66dae595.jpgScreenshot_20230621-143517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.74a251b0cb0111b2af46017398e8e3d2.jpgScreenshot_20230621-143711_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47237e7e9a54a26a4dc07f29c8acc7a0.jpgScreenshot_20230621-143717_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c971fee32d5ac91caacb84e5e90ccaef.jpg

Are those sponsorship/retail numbers correct? Ik historically Ipswich are bigger than us but that seems like a very big margin to me. (Admittedly not clued into the finances of football especially unrelated to transfers)

Edit: Thought it was talking about Ipswich not Stoke, my bad.

Edited by George Rs

35 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Are those sponsorship/retail numbers correct? Ik historically Ipswich are bigger than us but that seems like a very big margin to me. (Admittedly not clued into the finances of football especially unrelated to transfers)

Edit: Thought it was talking about Ipswich not Stoke, my bad.

Yeah Stoke. They should also look at rhe Holdings for both Bristol City and if they haven't yet Stoke. It reflects the consolidated costs and revenue for both.

Stoke Bet365 sponsorship and naming rights..hmm.

Fair value...hmm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They fall under FFP just like all of the Championship clubs.  They owners can’t invest to buy them out of the division, they can cover losses, just like SL.  Ipswich are likely to have made losses of £12m(ish), maybe more, last year to go with their published £12.6m in 21/22

Perhaps they plan to ignore FFP, like Bournemouth and Villa did?

So they could try to buy their way out of the division, gambling that, by the time the EFL catches up with them, they're in the Premier League and loaded.

Or has that loophole been closed now? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So they could try to buy their way out of the division, gambling that, by the time the EFL catches up with them, they're in the Premier League and loaded.

Certainly can't sell Fixed Assets. One year retrospective rule also gone.

Now the prior 2 years and 3 years losses mean thst if a club fall between £15m and £39m they need to submit their next 2 years worth of financial projections to the EFL.

Their next 2 seasons projections ie from summer 2023 to summer 2025 will need to show adjusted losses at £39m or below, ie across 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 or the EFL can intervene pre-emptively to seek to prevent a breach before it occurs.

This last power arrived in February 2022. Club and League work together or spending limits imposed if in the reasonable view of the League a breach is on the cards either in the upcoming season or 2 years hence.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Had a quick read of the Ipswich forum. There seems to be a train of thought that their interest is more about shocking Posh into action re Taylor. Personally, I think Knight is the better player.

Stoke, on the other hand, can outbid us, I should think.

They are two completely different players so I’d be surprised if this was them moving on to Knight instead. 

• Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

If they want £4m then Mark Ashton is their man. Though being an expert at trading he may try to talk them up to £5m.?

So less Swiss Tony, more Tim Nice but Dim!

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Do people really think that Knight has only just heard of the City interest and bids? 
He and his representatives will have known for some time and likewise had ample opportunity to decide whether to twist or stick. 
Him going on holiday changes nothing imho.
If there are other clubs lurking that didn’t show before then of course he’s going to want to see which is the best move for him and his family. Meanwhile, do we wait or move onto other targets ? 

I agree with this. ^

However, just made me giggle thinking about this.

Would love to see a player sign for a lurking club.   "Well when I heard <name of club> were lurking after me, I had to sign.  They've always been my mysteriousl boyhood club, so to get this chance is a dream come true"

12 hours ago, Merrick&#x27;s Marvels said:

If you do make it up basically the Prem doesn’t give a shit, so you largely get away with it & I can see how that appeals to someone like Ashton.

However this season sees the 3 sides who have come down plus Norwich & Watford all with an enormous financial advantage over everyone else, so not the best year to gamble, I think.

In hindsight last year was, but unlucky Mark, you were in League One.

As others have said Ipswich already have a large squad (imagine my surprise) & let very few go this summer.

My guess would be if Knight doesn’t join us he’s more likely to go to Stoke, much nearer to where he is now, established Championship club & historically large wage payers, but it’s all a guess at present, isn’t it?

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My guess would be if Knight doesn’t join us he’s more likely to go to Stoke, much nearer to where he is now, established Championship club & historically large wage payers, but it’s all a guess at present, isn’t it?

Reading his comments after the Irish game, I reckon he could be leaning towards staying at Derby.

13 minutes ago, shelts said:

I hope he signs . I’m no expert but from what I’ve seen he looks tidy . From what I’ve read I think he’ll stay at Derby for at least a season . 

He stays at Derby for a season then he can leave on a free

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2023 at 11:09, RedRoss said:

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-transfer-target-breaks-silence-as-ipswich-stoke-join-race-4190896

According to this he's gonna take a break and review his options after, this may play out over a couple of weeks unless things get resolved beforehand.

I don't think people understand how modern football transfers work. 

I think people think it goes like buying club scout player, buying club submit bid, selling club accept and then give permission for the buying club to speak to the player. Player then comes down and discusses terms, meets the manager and then makes a decision. 

However the reality is far from that. For example, Mason Mount had agreed terms with Man Utd before Utd had even submitted a bid for him! That's how it works these days.

Yes tapping up is illegal but it goes on in every single transfer so its just seen as an acceptable part of the game now. 

You don't ever hear of players rejecting clubs these days do you? That's because it all gets agreed well before the two clubs enter discussions. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have submitted bids, we already know that he wants to join us. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think people think it goes like buying club scout player, buying club submit bid, selling club accept and then give permission for the buying club to speak to the player. Player then comes down and discusses terms, meets the manager and then makes a decision. 

However the reality is far from that. For example, Mason Mount had agreed terms with Man Utd before Utd had even submitted a bid for him! That's how it works these days.

Yes tapping up is illegal but it goes on in every single transfer so its just seen as an acceptable part of the game now. 

You don't ever hear of players rejecting clubs these days do you? That's because it all gets agreed well before the two clubs enter discussions. 

The point I'm making is that for us to have submitted bids, we already know that he wants to join us. 

Spot on

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

Of course most players speak to other clubs before a bid is made, & you are right that not many will say "actually no i don't want to join you" - all modern day footballers, particularly in the lower leagues, will always keep their options open & not burn bridges. He is likely to have already met with Ipswich as well & told them he "wants to join".

This one is anything but a certain signing in my books.

Edited by Mr Hankey