IGNORED

Next Season....Recruitment etc

spudski

Think recruitment next season will all come down to 2 things if Scott goes and how much we get , personally £30m + must be going rate and the commitment of the fans and the sale of season tickets, after all the commotion of people having to buy memberships to watch Man City I hope fans will realise a season ticket is the easiest way and cheapest ( mine is £44 a month ) over 10 months .If fans show commitment then I’d hope the club will too 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Magger1 said:

Think recruitment next season will all come down to 2 things if Scott goes and how much we get , personally £30m + must be going rate and the commitment of the fans and the sale of season tickets, after all the commotion of people having to buy memberships to watch Man City I hope fans will realise a season ticket is the easiest way and cheapest ( mine is £44 a month ) over 10 months .If fans show commitment then I’d hope the club will too 

No way is anyone paying £30m for Scott.

Recruitment doesn’t entirely depend on this, we have gaps already, I expect Dasilva & Massengo to go, we have a decision to make on Kalas, plus the likes of Haikin, Moore, Baker & Owura Edwards are coming to the end of their contracts, plus a few of the U21s.

I think people have taken Tinnion’s comments a little bit out of context, these are the signings we would be making anyway. Scott will almost certainly leave & if Kalas does too, then further ones are required & those might not be from the same pool.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m not so sure Graham…think we could get that much for him.

I’m not sure there’s been so much hype (justified too) about a Championship player and one so young before.  

I won’t be complaining if we do, but probably not up front, anyway?

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m not sure there’s been so much hype (justified too) about a Championship player and one so young before.  

Bellingham perhaps. And he's not done badly since!

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Recruitment doesn’t entirely depend on this, we have gaps already, I expect Dasilva & Massengo to go, we have a decision to make on Kalas, plus the likes of Haikin, Moore, Baker & Owura Edwards are coming to the end of their contracts, plus a few of the U21s.

I think people have taken Tinnion’s comments a little bit out of context, these are the signings we would be making anyway. Scott will almost certainly leave & if Kalas does too, then further ones are required & those might not be from the same pool.

Not to sure graham when you look at Adam Webster to Brighton for £20 + as a defender  2/3 seasons ago £30 m doesn’t seem a lot 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

1,000 more season tickets would add something like £200,000 - £300,000. Absolutely nothing compared to the difference of Scott going for £15m or for £30m

Edited by cidercity1987

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

1,000 more season tickets would add something like £200,000 - £300,000. Absolutely nothing compared to the difference of Scott going for £15m or for £30m

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

As you say the money difference means little or nothing to Steve Lansdown but commitment does show the fans are behind the venture and if your going go every week why not buy a season ticket 

I can’t think of a more crucial summer for us in 30 years. It’s a massive undertaking that is extremely easy to get spectacularly wrong (The Magnificent 7 being a calamity in point (apart from Alex Russell)).

The fact I really like our senior management team that will be taking us through it makes me even more nervous as I am almost as desperate for them to succeed as I am for me as a fan!

38 minutes ago, awbb said:

I can’t think of a more crucial summer for us in 30 years. It’s a massive undertaking that is extremely easy to get spectacularly wrong (The Magnificent 7 being a calamity in point (apart from Alex Russell)).

The fact I really like our senior management team that will be taking us through it makes me even more nervous as I am almost as desperate for them to succeed as I am for me as a fan!

Every summer window is important, less so the winter window.

City have already lined up 3 or 4 players and like to get business done early - then all concerned can go on holiday………:sub:

Its very likely that Scott will be off almost certainly to a PL club for approx £20m which will give Nige something of a war chest but I’m assuming that any received payments would be over a period rather than the full amount up front. Obviously the best deal for City would for a PL club to sign Scott and then lend him back for another season.

That said - it’s seems that most clubs these days don’t announce what the deal is worth choosing to say “undisclosed fee” so maybe we’ll never know.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

but I’m assuming that any received payments would be over a period rather than the full amount up front.

Makes no difference to FFP.  You take the full amount straight into the accounts, regardless of any staged payments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who we do and don’t get is going to be very dependent on what is happening with our U21s etc etc etc. 

we have had in the last 18 months ConwAy Bell and Scott come through the academy to be essential first teamers. 

Who next, who knows, but there are three or four that have to do something soon. The three lads on the bench on Saturday are obviously close and who knows about Joe Low and Idehen. 

BY says three in maybe four if Scot goes. This tells me they are prepared to bring more through from the academy and add to it. 

Another wild card is who we get offers for that’s not Scott and who we retain from the OOC group. 

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Who we do and don’t get is going to be very dependent on what is happening with our U21s etc etc etc. 

we have had in the last 18 months ConwAy Bell and Scott come through the academy to be essential first teamers. 

Who next, who knows, but there are three or four that have to do something soon. The three lads on the bench on Saturday are obviously close and who knows about Joe Low and Idehen. 

BY says three in maybe four if Scot goes. This tells me they are prepared to bring more through from the academy and add to it. 

Another wild card is who we get offers for that’s not Scott and who we retain from the OOC group. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we recieved offers for Pring.

• Sad 2
  • Robin 1

On 09/03/2023 at 21:28, Davefevs said:

Ogbene is my man…but I don’t think we will recruit a forward unless someone leaves.  He’s actually playing wide right at the moment, which was his normal position until he moved central in the last 18 months.

If I was thinking of a bit of a punt (not necessarily in terms of fee mind you!) from Lg1 as a physical striker, I’d take a look at Colby Bishop at Portsmouth.  Wish he was 22/23, not 26, but I think he could get goals at our level.  Think he’d cost a bit more than we’d want to pay.

Think we could do with a big bully type as an alternative to Conway and Bell to change things if its not working out upfront ,

• Like 2

On 13/03/2023 at 11:33, GrahamC said:

On 13/03/2023 at 11:43, Davefevs said:

Agree Dave. Other than Bellingham, I can't think of a championship player so young,  who has so much experience at this level and is a once in a generation talent. I know that's said with my robin's red tinted specs, but it does seem to be echoed by so many in the media as well. I think I'm right in saying that there is an U20 World Cup this summer ( May - June) and if, as we hope, Alex is in the squad and performs as he can, it can only enhance his appeal and value to interested clubs.

The other crucial factor is where the interest will come from. I've seen the likes of Man U, Newcastle and Tottenham mentioned in the press, along with Palace and Wolves. OK some of that might just be speculation, but it only needs two or three clubs of that ilk to be genuinely interested for Scott's value to rise to whatever level someone who wants him badly enough will be willing to pay.

Given all of the above, and while it is unlikely, I don't think a fee of £30m is completely out of the question. 

• Like 3

After yesterday's game, NP for the second week running, commented on how far away we are from making a serious challenge in this league. 

Quote after yesterday.

"We have made some good progressions but we have still got a long way to go before we become the type of side that is really knocking very hard on the door for success and succeeding at this level.”

After Luton...

"We want to be in the Premier League but we're a long way away from that at the moment."

"You have to remember we have a long way to go in terms of getting players who are very established at this level.

"A lot of our players are not established Championship players but I think they are doing well. I think they are doing fine."

He's spoken about recruitment, an unbalance etc ( yesterday)

So with those comments in mind...it got me thinking. 

The question that came to mind, was...are were going to rely on 'established Championship' players, being players who have gained their experience playing for us in the past year or so and in the next? The youngsters from the academy and from league 1 etc. 

Bearing in mind the words spoken by Tins about the type of players we are looking to recruit ( not established championship players).

As pointed out before, our present established Championship players with Prem experience as well, are all past their best and aging. They aren't going to get better. 

These players in the next season/two will be done with at this level or the level we are wishing to achieve. 

If we aren't looking to replace these highly experienced players from a higher level,  and look rely on our inexperienced players getting minutes under their belt and become experienced at mid Championship level...are we not going to lose that vital input that vastly experienced players like James and Wells etc can bring? 

Keeping in mind also, anyone that does well from our ' inexperienced ' players, like Scott and Semenyo get sold. 

Whilst I see the pond we are having to fish in, the progress at the Club, and the benefits NP brings...I can't help but wonder how we will ever get to being a team that challenges for Promotion under this plan. 

I'm not blaming NP...I think he's the man for making us established in this league. 

However...with all those highlighted points above, and also the inevitable injuries that teams get every season... I can't ever see us being Promotion contenders.

Not unless we keep our best players, add a few ' old heads', and our ' rough diamonds' from academy and lower leagues keep improving every year and gain experience and knowledge quickly. And avoid injuries. 

I look at Vyner and DaSilva... These are players that have developed and gained experience at this level over a period of seasons. What we are expecting our Academy products and lower league signings to emulate over a period of seasons to become ' established'.  That doesn't fill me with hope at becoming Promotion contenders...more likely mid table established. 

I'm not complaining...I just can't see how the ' want of promotion ' can become a reality unless a lot of luck happened. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/03/2023 at 10:24, Magger1 said:

To be fair, I think the fans have shown an incredible amount of commitment considering what's been served up over a number of years 

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

After yesterday's game, NP for the second week running, commented on how far away we are from making a serious challenge in this league. 

Quote after yesterday.

"We have made some good progressions but we have still got a long way to go before we become the type of side that is really knocking very hard on the door for success and succeeding at this level.”

After Luton...

"We want to be in the Premier League but we're a long way away from that at the moment."

"You have to remember we have a long way to go in terms of getting players who are very established at this level.

"A lot of our players are not established Championship players but I think they are doing well. I think they are doing fine."

He's spoken about recruitment, an unbalance etc ( yesterday)

So with those comments in mind...it got me thinking. 

The question that came to mind, was...are were going to rely on 'established Championship' players, being players who have gained their experience playing for us in the past year or so and in the next? The youngsters from the academy and from league 1 etc. 

Bearing in mind the words spoken by Tins about the type of players we are looking to recruit ( not established championship players).

As pointed out before, our present established Championship players with Prem experience as well, are all past their best and aging. They aren't going to get better. 

These players in the next season/two will be done with at this level or the level we are wishing to achieve. 

If we aren't looking to replace these highly experienced players from a higher level,  and look rely on our inexperienced players getting minutes under their belt and become experienced at mid Championship level...are we not going to lose that vital input that vastly experienced players like James and Wells etc can bring? 

Keeping in mind also, anyone that does well from our ' inexperienced ' players, like Scott and Semenyo get sold. 

Whilst I see the pond we are having to fish in, the progress at the Club, and the benefits NP brings...I can't help but wonder how we will ever get to being a team that challenges for Promotion under this plan. 

I'm not blaming NP...I think he's the man for making us established in this league. 

However...with all those highlighted points above, and also the inevitable injuries that teams get every season... I can't ever see us being Promotion contenders.

Not unless we keep our best players, add a few ' old heads', and our ' rough diamonds' from academy and lower leagues keep improving every year and gain experience and knowledge quickly. And avoid injuries. 

I look at Vyner and DaSilva... These are players that have developed and gained experience at this level over a period of seasons. What we are expecting our Academy products and lower league signings to emulate over a period of seasons to become ' established'.  That doesn't fill me with hope at becoming Promotion contenders...more likely mid table established. 

I'm not complaining...I just can't see how the ' want of promotion ' can become a reality unless a lot of luck happened. 

I've been pondering this too.

Matty James and Kal Naismith are our onfield generals. Besides them, we'll be relying on young players to mature very quickly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've been pondering this too.

Matty James and Kal Naismith are our onfield generals. Besides them, we'll be relying on young players to mature very quickly.

Yes indeed...James, King, Naismith, Kalas, Wells, Weimann all contribute masses of experience, Premier, International, higher Champ etc. Martin gone, Klose gone...both age, legs gone, desire etc. 

All the above are now past their best, in their autumn/ winter years. 

Even if our youngsters and new low level signings mature...they are only going to mature and have experience at this level right now. 

The old heads' will be gone, the talented youngsters sold, replaced by more inexperienced players...ready to develop. 

Surely some older more highly experienced players will have to be replaced with like eventually? 

I'm all for the ' plan'...but imo I'm happy to lower my expectations of mid table, rather than promotion contenders any time in the next few years. 

What is the likelihood of finding another Scott and Semenyo? And if we did...keeping them? 

Having to sell our best players, and not have highly experienced older heads, and purely relying on academy and league 1 gems to gain experience at this level is imo, not a formula to gain promotion. 

Keeping our best players, adding a fewer older highly experienced heads to replace those past it, and keeping our developed academy and league 1 gems that have a couple seasons under their belt at this level could possibly work. 

I guess the magic formula would be a scenario where you've kept the likes of Semenyo and Scott... James, Wells and Naismith at this/ last season's age, and the likes of Tanner, Sykes, Pring, Williams, OTC,  Conway, Bell and Mehmeti etc with a couple years experience at this level under their belt. 

Otherwise after a few seasons your left with a squad of Vyners and DaSilvas 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes indeed...James, King, Naismith, Kalas, Wells, Weimann all contribute masses of experience, Premier, International, higher Champ etc. Martin gone, Klose gone...both age, legs gone, desire etc. 

Even if our youngsters and new low level signings mature...they are only going to mature and have experience at this level right now. 

The old heads' will be gone, the talented youngsters sold, replaced by more inexperienced players...ready to develop. 

Surely some older more highly experienced players will have to be replaced with like eventually? 

I'm all for the ' plan'...but imo I'm happy to lower my expectations of mid table, rather than promotion contenders any time in the next few years. 

What is the likelihood of finding another Scott and Semenyo? And if we did...keeping them? 

Having to sell our best players, and not have highly experienced older heads, and purely relying on academy and league 1 gems to gain experience at this level is imo, not a formula to gain promotion. 

Keeping our best players, adding a fewer older highly experienced heads to replace those past it, and keeping our developed academy and league 1 gems that have a couple seasons under their belt at this level could possibly work. 

I guess the magic formula would be a scenario where you've kept the likes of Semenyo and Scott... James, Wells and Naismith at this/ last season's age, and the likes of Tanner, Sykes, Pring, Williams, OTC,  Conway, Bell and Mehmeti etc with a couple years experience at this level under their belt. 

Exactly, I excluded Weimann, Wells and King (and Williams) because I don't think they will be 'onfield' for the majority of next season. Kalas I don't expect to be at City.

Despite that fact that they've only just established themselves at this level, the mid-twenties group of Vyner, Pring and Atkinson need to fast track into senior players.

Cornick also comes with experience.

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2023 at 15:56, Cityboy1954 said:

Think we could do with a big bully type as an alternative to Conway and Bell to change things if its not working out upfront ,

Sydney van Hooijdonk (Pierre’s son who’s on loan in Holland) might be worth a punt on, if we have some cash to spend. 

• Like 1

@spudski and @mozo I think we are all thinking similar things.

Think there are a couple of avenues for me:

(firstly I think we have all the seniors we need, so I don’t see us getting a James or Naismith or King again)

- bringing in genuine ones for the future, who aren’t far off being ready.  That might be Jake O’Brien or Jack Currie types.  See George Tanner also, joins from Lg2, within a few weeks is actually starting.  Unfortunately got injured twice, now making his way again.

- bringing in those that are ready, and fit where we are trying to go.  They may or may not be playing Champ football now, but we can be a relative big fish.

If I take two Barnsley players:

- Mads Andersen (25) tall, aerially strong CB, over 200 appearances, more than half at our level, can play a high line.  One year left on his deal, we can bully Barnsley financially.  Has been part of a playoff team at this level.

- Jordan Williams (23) right or left back, I prefer him as a LB where he cuts in onto his right.  Technically v.good, around 150 career appearances, half at our level, been part of a play-off team.  Same bullying reasons as Andersen.

If they don’t get promoted, they’ll struggle to keep them.

So, that’s too players, likely to be sensibly priced that don’t blow any wage profile either.

A couple of other LBs to throw in the mix.

Lee Buchanan (22 - Werder - ex-Derby) - barely played out in Germany, could we bring him home.

Sam McCallum (22 - Norwich) - Champ loans at QPR and Coventry, but can’t nail down a first team place, even less so under Wagner.  One year left on his contract.

Those two would’ve been out of range last two summers, but we are now much healthier and don’t have log-jams of players (Dasilva going).  Good ages too, years of growth in them.  Of course other teams will be interested, but we saw with Naismith we can attract.  In a perverse way, Cam Pring’s form makes bringing anyone in a bit more difficult, although most players will know there are no guarantees of starting week-in week-out.

So, in summary, I think it’s possible to get the right types to kick-on next season and it not become a constant churn around the mid/lower half of the table.  But recruitment is key.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

(firstly I think we have all the seniors we need, so I don’t see us getting a James or Naismith or King again)

- bringing in genuine ones for the future, who aren’t far off being ready.  That might be Jake O’Brien or Jack Currie types.  See George Tanner also, joins from Lg2, within a few weeks is actually starting.  Unfortunately got injured twice, now making his way again.

- bringing in those that are ready, and fit where we are trying to go.  They may or may not be playing Champ football now, but we can be a relative big fish.

- Mads Andersen (25) tall, aerially strong CB, over 200 appearances, more than half at our level, can play a high line.  One year left on his deal, we can bully Barnsley financially.  Has been part of a playoff team at this level.

- Jordan Williams (23) right or left back, I prefer him as a LB where he cuts in onto his right.  Technically v.good, around 150 career appearances, half at our level, been part of a play-off team.  Same bullying reasons as Andersen.

So, that’s too players, likely to be sensibly priced that don’t blow any wage profile either.

Lee Buchanan (22 - Werder - ex-Derby) - barely played out in Germany, could we bring him home.

Sam McCallum (22 - Norwich) - Champ loans at QPR and Coventry, but can’t nail down a first team place, even less so under Wagner.  One year left on his contract.

Those two would’ve been out of range last two summers, but we are now much healthier and don’t have log-jams of players (Dasilva going).  Good ages too, years of growth in them.  Of course other teams will be interested, but we saw with Naismith we can attract.  In a perverse way, Cam Pring’s form makes bringing anyone in a bit more difficult, although most players will know there are no guarantees of starting week-in week-out.

So, in summary, I think it’s possible to get the right types to kick-on next season and it not become a constant churn around the mid/lower half of the table.  But recruitment is key.

Thanks for the detailed reply and opinion Dave. ?

• Thanks 1

@Davefevs just read this & couple of things;

Watched a bit of Werder Bremen on Sky at the weekend Buchanan played the last 30 & did one absolutely brilliant goal saving tackle.

Secondly re LBs, very unusually I listened to Radio Bristol yesterday & Gary Owers was repeatedly making the point as to how impressed he was with Ryan Manning whose OoC this summer, 26 & definitely a feisty sort. I know we’ve discussed he’s a bit of a mercenary but good player.

Edited by GrahamC

6 hours ago, spudski said:

I think what we've seen in the last few games is the mental and physical toll of Championship football taking it's toll on a number of the younger players, and older ones (King for example) who are either in their first full season at this level, or played more games than before.

There's quite a few contract decisions to also be made around players that are in the last year of their current contracts. Weimann, Williams, James, Pring, Atkinson (option years on those last two of course), are just some of the players that are OOC. Jury is out for me on new contracts for Weimann and Williams. William's availability has obviously been better this year, but are we looking for better? Weimann seems to be on  somewhat downward trajectory after last season's heroics. The summer may be the last time we can achieve any fees for either of them. Not sure we would want to give Matty James a new 3 year contract to be fair, maybe 2 at best ( would be 34 by then).

Whilst not wanting to block the pathways of the academy players (where would we be without them this season), we certainly need 4-5 seasoned pro's that are going to take the whole squad forward. It really it about quality rather than quantity for me. I'm not sure some player who's played 200 games in L1 or below ( ie will be around mid twenties, and for some reason has not already been picked up by PL/Champ teams) will be the type of player to improve the squad as a whole.

There are players out there for around the £2m mark still ( Morris at Luton, and Flemming at Millwall being 2 good examples). You don't have to pay massive money to get a differential player, but our recruitment as a whole needs to be a hell of a lot better than the last time we had some money to spend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Davefevs what do you feel about the side in the RB position at present as a whole?

Tanner seems to be our only real RB, but has probably reached his limit for the season. Otherwise Wilson is a wing back really, Sykes a wide midfielder (who can't cross for toffee), and then we are into the kids, or at times Weimann. If we are to progress, then surely we need potentially more quality in that area, so we once again don't go so lopsided in an attacking sense.