IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

24 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Some times players just aren’t fancied or rated…… it happens. Expect him to leave in the summer.

He was very much fancied and rated, that's why we signed him, and, don't forget, with quite a fanfare.

Not sure why you expect him to leave when the only thing we know for certain since he signed is he's had a serious injury.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure why you expect him to leave when the only thing we know for certain since he signed is he's had a serious injury.

We know for certain he's been fit for a while, and hasn't got any game time for the U21s either....

Wilson I reckon.

A combination of injuries and I suppose now we seem to be better set on 4 at the back, a player more specifically suited to wing back isnt so necessary. It's a shame as he was signed for a reason but tactical plans changing can affect individuals through no real fault of anyone.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilson I reckon.

A combination of injuries and I suppose now we seem to be better set on 4 at the back, a player more specifically suited to wing back isnt so necessary. It's a shame as he was signed for a reason but tactical plans changing can affect individuals through no real fault of anyone.

As we all know, Pring goes galloping up the wing whilst playing full back, Tanner is getting used to playing much further forward than he has been used to playing.

I don't see Wilson as any different, he could slot in at full back whilst also venturing forward at every opportunity - just needs to displace Tanner.

I don't know if he is still feeling the injury or if NP has been very cautious with him after saying its an injury he'll need to manage for the rest of his career, but I'd be surprised if it were anything other than that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't know if he is still feeling the injury or if NP has been very cautious with him after saying its an injury he'll need to manage for the rest of his career, but I'd be surprised if it were anything other than that.

Me too, and therefore I'll be surprised if he does leave.

You never know of course, but nothing to suggest he'll be going imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

As we all know, Pring goes galloping up the wing whilst playing full back, Tanner is getting used to playing much further forward than he has been used to playing.

I don't see Wilson as any different, he could slot in at full back whilst also venturing forward at every opportunity - just needs to displace Tanner.

If he has had a cartilage removed from his knee, it means that even with modern medical knowledge, he'll have future problems with pain barrier. Gerry Gow had all four knee cartilages removed by 1976 and admitted to pain but was hard enough to play through it.

For Wilson it could be the same and if he wants a successful career, then he must learn to cope. It's possibly a mental problem combined with physical.

To the best of my knowledge and only guessing, all the modern medical methods, they can replace a heart but not a cartilage.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If he has had a cartilage removed from his knee, it means that even with modern medical knowledge, he'll have future problems with pain barrier. Gerry Gow had all four knee cartilages removed by 1976 and admitted to pain but was hard enough to play through it.

For Wilson it could be the same and if he wants a successful career, then he must learn to cope. It's possibly a mental problem combined with physical.

To the best of my knowledge and only guessing, all the modern medical methods, they can replace a heart but not a cartilage.

Yes, removal of all or some of the cartilage can mean the problem doesn’t go away.  Bone on bone in some cases.  I have about one third left in my right knee (result of ACL) and close to bugger all in my left (result of overcompensating after ACL).  Hence I get fluid build up if I do much walking (I don’t run these days).

It is possible to re-grow cartilage.  No idea how, but it also needs the right surface area to try it.  Mr Webb (the old England RFU full-back) told me that.  I didn’t have that area on mine to try.  He suffers the same he told me.

Might be worth googling Jamie Shore - ex-Norwich and Gas, as I believe he was the first footballer to try it.

• Thanks 2

I had a procedure called micro fractures as I had damaged/worn cartilage. It is basically done via key hole, the surgeon will drill small holes into the bone marrow around the knee  and cells from that will stimulate new cartilage growth. 

I have been pain free for 7 years now but that is with managing what I can and cannot do, no football, squash or running and my exercise consists of cycling and swimming which the  consultant recommended. New cartilage growth will never be as strong as the original. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, removal of all or some of the cartilage can mean the problem doesn’t go away.  Bone on bone in some cases.  I have about one third left in my right knee (result of ACL) and close to bugger all in my left (result of overcompensating after ACL).  Hence I get fluid build up if I do much walking (I don’t run these days).

It is possible to re-grow cartilage.  No idea how, but it also needs the right surface area to try it.  Mr Webb (the old England RFU full-back) told me that.  I didn’t have that area on mine to try.  He suffers the same he told me.

Might be worth googling Jamie Shore - ex-Norwich and Gas, as I believe he was the first footballer to try it.

England and Bristol Rugby. Yet another one of Bristol's great rugby amateurs who played the game for fun. And must be coming up to retirement age for a surgeon. Makes me feel absolutely ancient. I walk about five miles a day with our dog but fortunately I don't have any joint problems. How lucky I am.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To regrow cartilage you have to water it daily and leave it in direct sunlight I’m pretty sure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mental that the signing of Bryan has overshadowed this to the point nobody's even posted anything in here :laugh:

A lot more interesting than the Bryan signing in that we don't know what to expect, really.

I think he'll have been signed to play centre half predominantly, but he covers RB and DM also so a handy player to have in a smaller squad.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Its from the Bristol Post.

I think they've listened to NP last night and are guessing that the two that he mentioned were close are Bryan and McCrorie.

They may well be correct, but I think they actually know as much as we do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its from the Bristol Post.

I think they've listened to NP last night and are guessing that the two that he mentioned were close are Bryan and McCrorie.

They may well be correct, but I think they actually know as much as we do.

Maybe, the article says ‘Nigel Pearson revealed on BBC Radio Bristol on Monday night that he believes two signings are close to being confirmed and Bristol Live understands that duo is Bryan and McCrorie.’ perhaps the word ‘understands’ should be ‘guesses’ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The difficulty with all of these transfer news sites is that all they do is cross reference each other. Thus giving the impression that it's being reported by multiple media outlets, whereas the reality is it's only 1 bit of information that has been repeated across various sites.

I've no doubt that this is close, but moving forward over the summer around other rumours, we all have to be circumspect over whether there is any actual basis to the rumour or not. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Again just quoting the Evening post, which has supposedly got knowledge from somewhere that he is taking lower wages.

Whether that is just guess work from the Post around the fact that Norwich & WBA would probably be paying more is a moot point.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Maybe, the article says ‘Nigel Pearson revealed on BBC Radio Bristol on Monday night that he believes two signings are close to being confirmed and Bristol Live understands that duo is Bryan and McCrorie.’ perhaps the word ‘understands’ should be ‘guesses’ 

I think the detail regarding the other clubs interested & the wages involved would suggest this isn’t merely speculation.

Neil is right about the multiple cross references though.

I have a feeling in this case they’re right though, Aberdeen fans have been saying for a few weeks his “injury” is actually a hernia op being done now so he passes our medical & it seems clear Joe Bryan is keen to return home.

Do wonder where it leaves our pursuit of the Wimbledon lad, even if Dasilva leaves we have 2 very strong options at LB if Joe comes back.

• Like 1

I think it’s fair to say that the guys at Bristol Post will have their own contacts too.  It’s easy to say they’re just repeating last night’s chat, but they have also shut down other rumours, Ben House for example.  They will reach out to agents, etc too.  

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think the detail regarding the other clubs interested & the wages involved would suggest this isn’t merely speculation.

Neil is right about the multiple cross references though.

I have a feeling in this case they’re right though, Aberdeen fans have been saying for a few weeks his “injury” is actually a hernia op being done now so he passes our medical & it seems clear Joe Bryan is keen to return home.

Do wonder where it leaves our pursuit of the Wimbledon lad, even if Dasilva leaves we have 2 very strong options at LB if Joe comes back.

Considering Wimbledon rejected £600k+ from us for Currie in January, I would be very surprised if he were to join us now as the fee would presumably surpass that figure. Put Elijah Morrison’s development into the mix, who can play anywhere down the left or as a 10, and it’s highly unlikely IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s fair to say that the guys at Bristol Post will have their own contacts too.  It’s easy to say they’re just repeating last night’s chat, but they have also shut down other rumours, Ben House for example.  They will reach out to agents, etc too.  

Yes, surely “understands” is more likely to be code for “have been told unofficially but not allowed to quote a source”, than a guess.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tin said:

Considering Wimbledon rejected £600k+ from us for Currie in January, I would be very surprised if he were to join us now as the fee would presumably surpass that figure. Put Elijah Morrison’s development into the mix, who can play anywhere down the left or as a 10, and it’s highly unlikely IMO.

It’s more than possible they accepted £600k, but it was the late addition of a loan-back that broke the deal…because we were about to set Dasilva free.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s more than possible they accepted £600k, but it was the late addition of a loan-back that broke the deal…because we were about to set Dasilva free.

True, but I still can’t see us either paying that or bettering that offer now. Can you?