IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nige has preferred to play with a front 2 at a lot of his previous clubs. We won't change formations for one player but we could bring in players to play a certain formation/system. 

I'm not sure if we will stick with playing 433. I think we may go for a 442 or even back to 352. 

At Watford Nige liked his wide midfielders to come infield and press.. This is the role I think Cornick may have been brought in for. 

Lots of us have suggested Bryan could play CM so if Nige was looking for a wide left midfielder who could come infield and press, he could be well suited to that role. 

I know a lot of people say formations do not matter that much and there is a need to be flexible over the course of a season but I do think that the players we have, and the players we are rumoured to be signing don't really fit that well in the current formation. I also think we have too many forward options to play with just a front two !

The under 21s have been playing a 3-4-3 for a few weeks now, and I wonder if we will see this next year (or maybe against QPR as a trial ?)

o'leary

vyner - naismith - pring

sykes - mccrorie - james - bryan

cornick - conway - mehmeti

33 minutes ago, Bristolcityyatton said:

I know a lot of people say formations do not matter that much and there is a need to be flexible over the course of a season but I do think that the players we have, and the players we are rumoured to be signing don't really fit that well in the current formation. I also think we have too many forward options to play with just a front two !

The under 21s have been playing a 3-4-3 for a few weeks now, and I wonder if we will see this next year (or maybe against QPR as a trial ?)

o'leary

vyner - naismith - pring

Interesting to hear the u21s have been playing 343 for a few weeks as its often been said by Tins that all the youth teams play a system that is consistent with the 1st team. 

I gave a bit of thought last night to us going back to a back 3 but kind of shrugged it off as I'm not sure our fans would accept that but as you point out it does seem like the recruitment looks like it will fit a 3atb. 

11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Interesting to hear the u21s have been playing 343 for a few weeks as its often been said by Tins that all the youth teams play a system that is consistent with the 1st team. 

I gave a bit of thought last night to us going back to a back 3 but kind of shrugged it off as I'm not sure our fans would accept that but as you point out it does seem like the recruitment looks like it will fit a 3atb. 

U21s have played a mix of back 3 / back 4 in recent games, depending on who is available / proximity to first team games.

As I’ve said before, I don’t see the u21 tail wagging the first team dog, nor do I see a necessity for u21s to play the same formation.

I would be hugely surprised to see us revert to a back 3…we’ve had Naismith back a couple of games, could’ve gone straight to it.  We didn’t change to it Saturday either.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

U21s have played a mix of back 3 / back 4 in recent games, depending on who is available / proximity to first team games.

As I’ve said before, I don’t see the u21 tail wagging the first team dog, nor do I see a necessity for u21s to play the same formation.

I would be hugely surprised to see us revert to a back 3…we’ve had Naismith back a couple of games, could’ve gone straight to it.  We didn’t change to it Saturday either.

What formation do you see playing Dave? I just can't seem to figure out what the plan is? 

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What formation do you see playing Dave? I just can't seem to figure out what the plan is? 

A back four - but as for the front 6, who knows.  I don’t think 4213 (the current starting set up) is optimal, and I think Nige historically likes a front pair with one in behind.  The 4diamond2 we ended with on Saturday was interesting, and some form of squashed diamond (4312 or even 4132) might put less pressure on our personnel / exposure to injuries.

But we’ll have to wait and see…recruitment might start to inform that.

Just re the “front two”.

Nahki needs a partner, whoever seems to make little difference, he seems to being the best out of a partner and vice-versa.  Playing him alone with two wide (and I mean wide) forwards isn’t helping him.  With two years left of him, I still think he has a huge role to play.  Still fit, still quick, but pair him…even if that’s playing him in rotation.

Tommy will need a partner too.  This for me negates the need for a target-man / more physical strike partner.  Him and Nahki are very effective together.

I think Cornick and Bell provide flexibility alongside either.  We got a glimpse of TC and Bell as a front two on Saturday, not seen since the u23s.

So, I see 4 CFs - Conway, Bell, Wells, Cornick.

I therefore see Sykes, Mehmeti and Weimann as playing for the no10 shirt, or as a no8 type.

Thats not to say we might string 3 across the forward line at times, I just don’t think it’s the best use of what we have.  It kinda worked because of Semenyo, but he’s no longer here.  A bit of fine-tuning required.

I’m also happy if we play something a bit lopsided too.

That’s where my head is at, but could change depending on in’s and outs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe it's a case of having the players for both options? Makes sense although potentially expensive.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A back four - but as for the front 6, who knows.  I don’t think 4213 (the current starting set up) is optimal, and I think Nige historically likes a front pair with one in behind.  The 4diamond2 we ended with on Saturday was interesting, and some form of squashed diamond (4312 or even 4132) might put less pressure on our personnel / exposure to injuries.

But we’ll have to wait and see…recruitment might start to inform that.

Just re the “front two”.

Nahki needs a partner, whoever seems to make little difference, he seems to being the best out of a partner and vice-versa.  Playing him alone with two wide (and I mean wide) forwards isn’t helping him.  With two years left of him, I still think he has a huge role to play.  Still fit, still quick, but pair him…even if that’s playing him in rotation.

Tommy will need a partner too.  This for me negates the need for a target-man / more physical strike partner.  Him and Nahki are very effective together.

I think Cornick and Bell provide flexibility alongside either.  We got a glimpse of TC and Bell as a front two on Saturday, not seen since the u23s.

So, I see 4 CFs - Conway, Bell, Wells, Cornick.

I therefore see Sykes, Mehmeti and Weimann as playing for the no10 shirt, or as a no8 type.

Thats not to say we might string 3 across the forward line at times, I just don’t think it’s the best use of what we have.  It kinda worked because of Semenyo, but he’s no longer here.  A bit of fine-tuning required.

I’m also happy if we play something a bit lopsided too.

That’s where my head is at, but could change depending on in’s and outs.

Agree with your point about nahki not being utilised when we play wingers with him alone up top.

But if we were to play a 41212 or 4132 etc in a central diamond we would have to be brilliant to make it work properly. I don’t think we have the ability in the middle to play without wingers tbh. I can’t remember playing a team that didn’t use wingers or at least left and right midfielders and doing it ourselves could go horribly.

It might sound a bit mad but I think a 433 with a false nine could be something to look into. With the pace of our wingers to stretch defenders and a striker who drops into midfield we could have the best of both potentially. Could go very wrong but I’d be interested to see it played.

Edited by George Rs
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Agree with your point about nahki not being utilised when we play wingers with him alone up top.

But if we were to play a 41212 or 4132 etc in a central diamond we would have to be brilliant to make it work properly. I don’t think we have the ability in the middle to play without wingers tbh. I can’t remember playing a team that didn’t use wingers or at least left and right midfielders and doing it ourselves could go horribly.

It might sound a bit mad but I think a 433 with a false nine could be something to look into. With the pace of our wingers to stretch defenders and a striker who drops into midfield we could have the best of both potentially. Could go very wrong but I’d be interested to see it played.

I don’t think we have to any more brilliant to play one system over another per se.  Players make systems work imho.

I see no reason why a diamond of:

James

Williams Naismith

Weimann

Conway Wells

for example would need to be brilliant to perform better than a 4213 of:

James Naismith

Weimann

Sykes Conway Bell

My diamond could easily be flattened:

Williams James Naismith

Weimann

Conway Wells

Anyway, all theoretical stuff.  We can debate the arse off of it in pre-season! ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Nige post match confirms he thinks we could announce signings within the next few weeks.

Imagine there’ll be more ‘noise’ around this one by this time next week. 

Also worth noting the Belgian season ends next weekend.

Molenbeek are top of their second division so need only to match the result of the side in second in order to get promoted.

Jake O’Brien, who scored the first in their 3-1 win last time out, seems highly likely to be one of them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also worth noting the Belgian season ends next weekend.

Molenbeek are top of their second division so need only to match the result of the side in second in order to get promoted.

Jake O’Brien, who scored the first in their 3-1 win last time out, seems highly likely to be one of them.

I agree,  McCrorie, Bryan seem like 2 others.  You get the impression that Kalas is going to stay.  Maybe Atkinson's injury has forced our hand in getting him signed on for the beginning of the season?  

He previously said they would review the goalie situation when Bajic came back from France and has been full of praise for Max.  Decision he is going to make is, do we want Bajic to be our number 2?  He doesn't seem too sure.

I'd guess we are looking for a CM who has a goal in him. 

When you think about it, we are in a strong position.  We are likely to lose a well known player for a big fee, but  there is clearly scope for our current players to improve more and we clearly have a a clear idea of what we want, and seem to know who we are going to sign.  I am more concerned about getting Vyner and Pring on longer contracts than replacing Scott.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I am more concerned about getting Vyner and Pring on longer contracts than replacing Scott.

Agreed, that's been my thoughts for a while now & their performances against QPR will only add more attention :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

When does the summer transfer window open?

I think players who are out of contract in June can sign pre contract agreements also?

I suppose clubs can agree deals between each other on player sales for players still under contract but the registration would not be able to be processed until the window opens 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 08:19, Bristolcityyatton said:

o'leary

vyner - naismith - pring

I would hate to see this, a lot of our problems came from Naismith being in the middle and Vyner to his right. Vyner comes too central, it's his real issue with that formation, he cannot position himself well in it at all which in turn would leave a gap between the rb and Vyner all too often with Vyner being far too close to Naismith who is better as the left center back which is where he played for Luton. Pring would also be wasted in this formation, yes he can play there but I'd dare to say he's superior to Bryan in a wide position these days, I mean there is a reason Bryan was being loaned out and the best option was in France. I'd see this as a huge step backwards as it would reignite the issues with Vyners positioning in a back 3, see one of our best players being played out his his best position etc

I also do not see us signing Bryan and then using both Bryan and Pring in the same line up unless Pring is Left Back and Bryan Left wing/midfield, I think it's far more probable based on what Pearson said about having competition in all positions that Bryna would come in to replace DaSilva with Bryan and Pring battling it out for that left back position. 

I really hope we stick with 4-2-1-3 as it would give us good competition in most areas if we sign McCrorie, a right back and a goalkeeper. I'd see it being something like:

GK
O'Leary
New GK

LB
Bryan
Pring

CB
Naismith
Atkinson
Vyner
Kalas/New CB

RB
Tanner
New RB
Wilson?

CM
McCrorie
James
Williams
Taylor-Clarke

CAM
Weimann
Mehmeti

LF
Bell
Mehmeti
Bryan

ST
Conway
Wells

RF
Sykes
Cornick

I think that's what Pearson will go for if he can get all the targets he wants. I mean for that squad above that would be, 1 x GK, 1 x RB, 1 xCB (or retain Kalas) and McCrorie. I don't think that's unrealistic when you consider DaSilva, King, Scott and Kalas (if not retained) going out. I certainly think that would be doable if we get the fee being touted for Scott and may even leave us with the ability to add a forward to the mix too possibly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I would hate to see this, a lot of our problems came from Naismith being in the middle and Vyner to his right. Vyner comes too central, it's his real issue with that formation, he cannot position himself well in it at all which in turn would leave a gap between the rb and Vyner all too often with Vyner being far too close to Naismith who is better as the left center back which is where he played for Luton. Pring would also be wasted in this formation, yes he can play there but I'd dare to say he's superior to Bryan in a wide position these days, I mean there is a reason Bryan was being loaned out and the best option was in France. I'd see this as a huge step backwards as it would reignite the issues with Vyners positioning in a back 3, see one of our best players being played out his his best position etc

I also do not see us signing Bryan and then using both Bryan and Pring in the same line up unless Pring is Left Back and Bryan Left wing/midfield, I think it's far more probable based on what Pearson said about having competition in all positions that Bryna would come in to replace DaSilva with Bryan and Pring battling it out for that left back position. 

I really hope we stick with 4-2-1-3 as it would give us good competition in most areas if we sign McCrorie, a right back and a goalkeeper. I'd see it being something like:

GK
O'Leary
New GK

LB
Bryan
Pring

CB
Naismith
Atkinson
Vyner
Kalas/New CB

RB
Tanner
New RB
Wilson?

CM
McCrorie
James
Williams
Taylor-Clarke

CAM
Weimann
Mehmeti

LF
Bell
Mehmeti
Bryan

ST
Conway
Wells

RF
Sykes
Cornick

I think that's what Pearson will go for if he can get all the targets he wants. I mean for that squad above that would be, 1 x GK, 1 x RB, 1 xCB (or retain Kalas) and McCrorie. I don't think that's unrealistic when you consider DaSilva, King, Scott and Kalas (if not retained) going out. I certainly think that would be doable if we get the fee being touted for Scott and may even leave us with the ability to add a forward to the mix too possibly.

I think that still leaves us a little light. I reckon we need at least one more CB on top of that and possibly one more midfielder, although Benarous will obviously be back at some point.

• Admin
56 minutes ago, Spike said:

GK
O'Leary
New GK

LB
Bryan
Pring

CB
Naismith
Atkinson
Vyner
Kalas/New CB

RB
Tanner
New RB
Wilson?

CM
McCrorie
James
Williams
Taylor-Clarke

CAM
Weimann
Mehmeti

LF
Bell
Mehmeti
Bryan

ST
Conway
Wells

RF
Sykes
Cornick

If we were to play the 343 on occasions with those personnel it would make more sense to me for McCrorie to be the RCB, Vyner the CB and Nais alongside James in midfield. I do kinda like the idea of Pring being an attacking CB like we had with Ayling and Williams in L1, but that would require good positional sense from Nais being prepared to drop back if they bombed on, does he have the pace for this if he was somewhat involved in the attacking play?

Personally think we're signing McCrorie to play CDM, with James/King to coach him into it. He's mobile, strong, and a bit headless, but a hard worker. Can cover at RB and CB as necessary fairly comfortably. Think Wilson may be moved on.

People are also assuming we'll be using 4atb as our singular option. If we were to move to 3atb, I could easily see - Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Naismith, Pring, former and lattermost as WBs. Such as in the scenario of holding a lead; whereas if chasing it, swap Tanner and Pring for Sykes and Bryan.

Reviews (for McCrorie) are very similar or even mirroring to Sykesy. Who has performed admirably for NP. Something akin to a midfield three of McCorie, James, and then a more creative midfielder to be signed should Scott leave.

Assume we sign the likes of O'Brien, McCrorie, Bryan.

Creative midfield player and further winger, allowing rotation as if we happen to suffer two injuries (I.e. Conway and Sykes) all of a sudden we're not that deep in options, playing what is quite a front loaded system.

Owen Moxon (Carlisle) or Adam Phillips (Barnsley) for CM. Then, if it was possible, the likes of Jesurun Rak-Sakyi from Palace (on loan to Charlton) or Willock on a free from QPR would be the kind of targets I would aim for, possibly allowing one of Sykes, or Mehmeti, to move central. Although this is just ne being wishful and plugging names that come to mind.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

GK
O'Leary
New GK

LB
Bryan
Pring

CB
Naismith
Atkinson
Vyner
Kalas/New CB

RB
Tanner
New RB
Wilson?

CM
McCrorie
James
Williams
Taylor-Clarke

CAM
Weimann
Mehmeti

LF
Bell
Mehmeti
Bryan

ST
Conway
Wells

RF
Sykes
Cornick

Still feels a couple light to me. Good range but one more CB and CM probably. Considering that Baker and Klose will have left and Kalas might. Atkinson maybe out for a while yet.

In CM, Scott of course then Massengo becomes Massengone and the King reigns here but for how much longer. Throw in Naismith perhaps needing to help at CB and relative inexperience of Taylor-Clarke. I wonder.

Finally LB, Bryan is perhaps better higher up the pitch so Bryan and an LB?

Ah Benarous doesn't feature on your squad list either?

On 02/05/2023 at 08:19, Bristolcityyatton said:

o'leary

vyner - naismith - pring

Interesting starting 11 , no Atkinson and cornick over wells ,Weimann & bell , not writing cornick off yet but he hasn’t really done anything apart form 45mins against boro to suggest he should be starting over  the other 3 . 

16 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Interesting starting 11 , no Atkinson and cornick over wells ,Weimann & bell , not writing cornick off yet but he hasn’t really done anything apart form 45mins against boro to suggest he should be starting over  the other 3 . 

Yeh my thought process was just that Atkinson will start the season injured and have to work his way back in. With cornick being a recent signing I presume he'll be starting once he gets up to speed. Like you say he hasn't done enough so far though. 

I was just playing with formations to try and fit Bryan and pring in the same team. I would actually prefer 4 at the back with Bryan and pring competing at left back but it seems a bit over the top to have two players of that quality for one position. I guess if we can afford it and Pearson can keep them both happy it would be great. 

• Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, Fuber said:

Think Wilson may be moved on.

Interesting you think Wilson may be moved on and that many others on here have expressed the same view.

On the face of it Wilson's had a serious injury - one that, even when fit, he will have to manage for the rest of his career according to NP - and has not started since iirc, presumably having not attained the fitness/resilience required.

Unless that is deemed to be due to his lack of effort or poor attitude then it's surely just a case of NP not being confident he is fit enough yet to withstand a return to first team football without the injury reoccurring?

He arrived very highly rated and has had a big injury set back. It may well just be a case of the club giving Wilson the extra time he needs, including a strong pre season to continue to build up his strength, and he's very much back in the mix in August.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting you think Wilson may be moved on and that many others on here have expressed the same view.

On the face of it Wilson's had a serious injury - one that, even when fit, he will have to manage for the rest of his career according to NP - and has not started since iirc, presumably having not attained the fitness/resilience required.

Unless that is deemed to be due to his lack of effort or poor attitude then it's surely just a case of NP not being confident he is fit enough yet to withstand a return to first team football without the injury reoccurring?

He arrived very highly rated and has had a big injury set back. It may well just be a case of the club giving Wilson the extra time he needs, including a strong pre season to continue to build up his strength, and he's very much back in the mix in August.

Oh agreed - just a hunch as I thought he'd at least maybe get a few minutes the last two games. Nothing but idle speculation.

Hopefully nothing in it - I just find signing McCrorie questionable unless he's to be moved on.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Apparently he's been fit for quite a while... make of that what you will.

• Like 1