IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

On 23/04/2023 at 11:39, Leveller said:

Horse chestnut?

??

Sorry. But you mean “old chestnut”.  Which is a cliched joke or story. I had to look up its origins. Apparently in a nineteenth century play one chap keeps retelling the same old joke, which involves a cork tree. Another character says that the joke always used to be about a chestnut tree. Hence “that old chestnut.”

Yes, I do have a lot of spare time today!

Slips of the fingers my friend. Yes I meant to type Old Chestnut

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

Hmmm mixed reviews on him and I'm not sure the standard in Scotland is much to go by. I still have bad memories of the numerous Scottish signings in the early 2010s turning out to be awful.

Guess we'd have to wait and see

Richard Foster sticks in my mind.

This young man, though, seems very promising.

We have been crying out for a defensive midfielder for ages. I think this kind of player will get the best out of many of our players, for example someone who can cover or switch with Naismith as he brings the ball out of defence.

His versatility will also be a major bonus with us operating a smaller squad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BCFCOFSWEDEN said:

Are we allowed to present new players before the transfer windows is open?

You can announce the deal is done and there be a short statement from Nige/Tinnion or whoever. Ala VVD when he signed for Liverpool the day after Boxing Day (I think, around then anyway)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2015 said:

Hmmm mixed reviews on him and I'm not sure the standard in Scotland is much to go by. I still have bad memories of the numerous Scottish signings in the early 2010s turning out to be awful.

Guess we'd have to wait and see

Agree about the standard in Scotland but  personally trust Big Nige and Tins when it comes to recruitment.

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

You can announce the deal is done and there be a short statement from Nige/Tinnion or whoever. Ala VVD when he signed for Liverpool the day after Boxing Day (I think, around then anyway)

I don’t understand why we would though, if theres an injury before the end of the Scottish season that could jeopardise the deal, unless we ask for a gentleman’s agreement with aberdeen that they wont play him?!

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I don’t understand why we would though, if theres an injury before the end of the Scottish season that could jeopardise the deal, unless we ask for a gentleman’s agreement with aberdeen that they wont play him?!

Zero chance of that when they are pushing for 3rd place and Europa League football which, apparently, is worth £5m.

That is huge money to any SPL club. Remember the TV money up there is negligible.

Aberdeen get decent crowds, relative to the rest of the clubs, with the exception of the bigot brothers and the two Edinburgh sides.

They have had very up and down season but their interim manager has done an excellent job in getting them back on course.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Scottish football has improved imho over the fast 4-5 seasons.

PL - Robertson, McGinn, McKenna, Christie, Armstrong, Tierney, etc

Champ - Souttar, Dykes, Stewart, Hedges, Campbell, Porteous, McLean, etc

all came down from Scotland over a period.

There are good players up there, they’ve taken advantage of Work Permit rules too, to allow them to strengthen with players who wouldn’t pass the English FA WP rules.

I honestly can’t say how good McCrorie is though, just seen a small number of snippets.

G'day Dave, there's many on here that automatically right off scottish players but imo we've done reasonably ok in the past with the likes of Paul Hartley, Joe Jordan, John Shaw, Gerry Sweeney, Gerry Gow, Jamie McAllister, Scott Murray, Tom Ritchie, Don Gillies & arguably todays Tommy Conway (I believe Tommy qualifies as a Scot) & there's probably a lot more I can't remember. Sure there's been failures but there's been many, many failures of all nationalities.

Your opinions please mate :thumbsup:

Edited by bpexile
Forgot Kal Naismith
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, bpexile said:

G'day Dave, there's many on here that automatically right off scottish players but imo we've done reasonably ok in the past with the likes of Paul Hartley, Joe Jordan, John Shaw, Gerry Sweeney, Gerry Gow, Jamie McAllister, Scott Murray, Tom Ritchie, Don Gillies & arguably todays Tommy Conway (I believe Tommy qualifies as a Scot) & there's probably a lot more I can't remember. Sure there's been failures but there's been many, many failures of all nationalities.

Your opinions please mate :thumbsup:

Murray came through at Villa so hadn't been tainted by that standard by the time we got him, Conway is a stretch not sure he'd ever been to Scotland before his call up! McAllister and Hartley were decent but our record in buying from SPL clubs is patchy at best. Hopefully this lad bucks the trend

• Like 1

My quick “scouting” report:

Just watched Celtic v Aberdeen from last season.  Played LCB2 (Bates the guy we were rumoured with was RCB2).

Stays close to his man at set pieces, uses arms to avoid getting bullied.

Checks shoulders regularly although doesn’t always react to opponent run lines.  But recovery runs with purpose, once recognises danger. 

Was more often the spare in open play.

More than comfy on left foot. Hit a 50 yard cross field free kick straight to Hayes. Led to a shot from Hayes.

A talker, director. Tells Bates when passing on markers.

Sprays another 50 yard ball with right boot to Hayes to attack fullback and cross.

He did ok!

Was their POTY last season.

Jet was on bench!!!

General consensus appears to be that the fee seems relatively high. However I think that is always likely to be the case when you go shopping before Sale season starts. 
The important thing is we buy what we actually need at the best value we can find rather than something less costly just because it is on special offer.

“Buy cheap, buy twice”.

• Like 3

Watched the last half hour or so of their win over Rangers, he was captain & played RWB though when they went 2 up he was effectively RB in a back five.

Reminded me a bit of Bradley Orr, tall, physical & covered a lot of ground.

Played mainly at CB earlier in the season, also featured as a DM, like Mark Sykes he’s versatile, decent age & as yet I’m not sure where we see his best position.

12 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

We have been crying out for a defensive midfielder for ages. I think this kind of player will get the best out of many of our players, for example someone who can cover or switch with Naismith as he brings the ball out of defence.

His versatility will also be a major bonus with us operating a smaller squad.

The Scottish Declan Rice? 

• Like 1