IGNORED

Ross McCrorie signed - Confirmed

AshtonRobin21

On 12/05/2023 at 09:30, Roger Red Hat said:

Don't know.

On 12/05/2023 at 09:39, City oz said:

Well, if you don't know you must then be undecided! on the opinion stated, unless you really do know more. ?

As Socrates once said;

“True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing”

I think that this is an apt motto for the forum 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s fair to say that the guys at Bristol Post will have their own contacts too.  It’s easy to say they’re just repeating last night’s chat, but they have also shut down other rumours, Ben House for example.  They will reach out to agents, etc too.  

Yeah this smacks of agent info imo 

11 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

@Davefevs where do you see him fitting in for us?

Aberdeen fans seem to think generally he was rubbish at CB, but handy elsewhere.

Wouldn't mind his steel in midfield.

Funny you say that…I watched a full 90 of him a week or so ago playing CB, and the recent Rangers game at RB.  I thought he was v.good at CB, had all the things you look for - positioning, communication, anticipation of danger etc.

Like the Joe Bryan thread, my mantra is that it’s a squad game, so trying to name where a player fits in to a “best eleven” isn’t really my thing!  We’ve seen this season, we rarely get to put out Nige’s best eleven, let alone the OTIB variants we might come up with.

So, I think he would feature wherever we need him.  Initially with Rob Atkinson out (Kalas unknown), it might be CB.  The game I watched, he played left of the two.

He’s a “rangy” player so if it midfield I’d expect him to be more than just a “sitter” if he played in the same team as James.

Don’t think I really answered your Q though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Funny you say that…I watched a full 90 of him a week or so ago playing CB, and the recent Rangers game at RB.  I thought he was v.good at CB, had all the things you look for - positioning, communication, anticipation of danger etc.

Like the Joe Bryan thread, my mantra is that it’s a squad game, so trying to name where a player fits in to a “best eleven” isn’t really my thing!  We’ve seen this season, we rarely get to put out Nige’s best eleven, let alone the OTIB variants we might come up with.

So, I think he would feature wherever we need him.  Initially with Rob Atkinson out (Kalas unknown), it might be CB.  The game I watched, he played left of the two.

He’s a “rangy” player so if it midfield I’d expect him to be more than just a “sitter” if he played in the same team as James.

Fair enough.

I'd hope for a bit more than a utility player given the fee he's costing, and he's a bit of a unit so if he comes in and plays centre back consistently whilst being an option of covering other positions, that's fine by me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Fair enough.

I'd hope for a bit more than a utility player given the fee he's costing, and he's a bit of a unit so if he comes in and plays centre back consistently whilst being an option of covering other positions, that's fine by me.

I guess versatility doesn’t necessarily equal utility (which is often seen as “back-up”).  I’m sure the way Nige runs his selection policy if a player plays in a position and does well, he tends not to piss about with it.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Guessing this wont be announced until their season is over on the 27th May. 

Had a look on whoscored at his performance, looks to have performed best when at RWB/RM/CDM. (Played 6 different positions this year by the looks of things)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/363668/Show/Ross-McCrorie

I’ve got a breakdown (Viz) of his data for every game this season by position, but I’m not sure it’s that “readable”, ie might require a lot of explanation.

I wanted to show how his “numbers” change depending on the position he plays.  It needs work though.

Here’s a portion of it.

image0.jpeg.6ca8780b745b1dec670e6c40e9bf2728.jpeg

Without going into too much explanation, he wins a greater percentage of loose balls when playing CB (left pic) and wins a greater percentage of defensive duels when playing in midfield.

Overall, there are 30-40 data points and some he’s pretty consistent regardless of position, other data points the position makes a difference.

Not sure if the pic or my words make sense???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A ggod example of this @Davefevs is of course Naismith. Started off the season at CB ( a bit ropery at times), then in the Swansea cup game moved into CM where alongside the change in formation, the team flourished. Then when he came back from injury slotted back into CB. A great utility acquisition by the club.

• Like 4

Given his reported versatility, this now gives us or might give us a backup in terms of the idea of Naismith in certain phases of play dropping back into the 3rd CB role and full backs pushing higher. He is our only player, Naismith who can do this IMO. McCrorie could perhaps also be another.

Ideally and I know financials can conflict with this, two for each position would be excellent 

44 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

A ggod example of this @Davefevs is of course Naismith. Started off the season at CB ( a bit ropery at times), then in the Swansea cup game moved into CM where alongside the change in formation, the team flourished. Then when he came back from injury slotted back into CB. A great utility acquisition by the club.

I thought Naismith was brilliant laying on superb passes for unmissable goalscoring. Trouble is it was the opposition who got the goals.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Their season isn't over till the end of this month so I doubt anything can be announced.

Same for Bryan.

Of course it can be announced. Bryan definitely because his contract is expiring so Fulham have no say in it. 

Aberdeen would have a say because we are buying him from them and they'd probably rather it wasn't announced during the season. 

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course it can be announced. Bryan definitely because his contract is expiring so Fulham have no say in it. 

Aberdeen would have a say because we are buying him from them and they'd probably rather it wasn't announced during the season. 

That assumes Fulham have given permission for us to talk to him ahead of their retained list / 1st June.  I’m sure they have if this is true (I believe it is).  Otherwise we can’t talk to him until 1st June.

With permission a transfer can be announced at any time (as you’re alluding to), just that the registration will only transfer during a window…in this case on 1st July.

Ashley Barnes is a good example where Norwich and Burnley (being well run clubs) have allowed it to be announced today.

(Bryan - Fulham actually have a year option)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That assumes Fulham have given permission for us to talk to him ahead of their retained list / 1st June.  I’m sure they have if this is true (I believe it is).  Otherwise we can’t talk to him until 1st June.

With permission a transfer can be announced at any time (as you’re alluding to), just that the registration will only transfer during a window…in this case on 1st July.

Ashley Barnes is a good example where Norwich and Burnley (being well run clubs) have allowed it to be announced today.

(Bryan - Fulham actually have a year option)

Fulham do have a years option. I don't think they will trigger it, but with the interest shown in him you never know. If they trigger it, then a fee will be payable. Either way, I don't think we'll announce until everything is squared off. Could be wrong, it's happened before ! 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So is he a David Rennie sort of player?

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Fulham do have a years option. I don't think they will trigger it, but with the interest shown in him you never know. If they trigger it, then a fee will be payable. Either way, I don't think we'll announce until everything is squared off. Could be wrong, it's happened before ! 

No, no way they are triggering.

1 hour ago, Elruliri said:

So is he a David Rennie sort of player?

31 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Rennie/Shelton blend with subtle notes of Wimbleton. Possibly. 

More of a runner, leggy player…more Marv in that respect, but less Tanglefoot, with a hint of Henriksen!

• Admin
19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given his reported versatility, this now gives us or might give us a backup in terms of the idea of Naismith in certain phases of play dropping back into the 3rd CB role and full backs pushing higher. He is our only player, Naismith who can do this IMO. McCrorie could perhaps also be another.

Ideally and I know financials can conflict with this, two for each position would be excellent 

When I used to play Football Manager I had an overriding philosophy that I bought players who could play multiple positions so that when injuries occurred during games, even if I didn’t have direct cover for that player on the bench, I could move a couple of the starting XI and not be weakened. Nigel seems to be of that same school of thought and I’m loving that! Means you can still have a smaller squad but in some cases even have 3 options for that position, it’s just that some might also be starting me giving extra value.

• Like 2