IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

Much as I genuinely enjoy discovering new music, let's be honest, the old songs beat the shit out of the new ones, don't they? Which forgotten classics from yesteryear have you rediscovered, perhaps on a late night trawl through YouTube? 

Here are two incredible tracks from my youth that I've had on my playlist recently. 

No More Ghettos In America by Stanley Winston. 

Absolute goosebumps every time I hear this. I honestly think it might be the best thing I've ever heard. "That was so good I thought my jaw was going to lock." So said John Peel the first time he played me this sublime tune. Little is known about Mr Winston, apart from that he had a voice that could make grown men cry.

Oh Lori by Alessi Brothers. 

In the most exciting summer in the history of music, just as the 12 year old me was discovering the seismic Sex Pistols, the Stranglers and the Jam, who would collectively change the world forever, this fantastic song by twins Bobby and Billy Alessi was also on Top of the Pops. I absolutely loved this at time, but it was deeply uncool and I never declared my love to another human being. Until now. I could listen to this endlessly now that stupid music snobbery is no longer a thing in my life. 

• Like 3

Too  much for me to list!

At this point though, I must thoroughly recommend the podcast "A History Of Rock Music in 500 Songs" by Andrew Hickey - It's a long term project, he's up to 1969 right now, but listen from the start. It is amazingly in depth, well researched and packed full of songs, information and narrative that you may know part of, but will never know the lot.

I have learned sooo much from this, it has opened my ears to new genres, artists and songs that I would never have given the time of day to before now.

An absolutely stunning piece of work.

• Like 2

I don't know about old songs beating the shit out of new ones, my top ten would probably be evenly split. 

However, a track I discovered the long way around so to speak is Cosmic Dancer - T-Rex, I saw Nick Cave perform his version in Liverpool a couple of years ago and initially thought it was his own. I can't believe this track had passed me by for so many years. 

Here are both versions for you....

I danced right out the womb..... 

• Like 3

I went to see the Pixies at Cardiff last month. Blew my mind how good they were. I’ve not listened to anything else since. A legendary band with such an amazing back catalogue. You know when you have bands that keep going and going and you think nah - you should probably stop now. Not the Pixies. Still cool as ****. Even my kids like them 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 25/04/2023 at 18:19, Port Said Red said:

I don't know about old songs beating the shit out of new ones, my top ten would probably be evenly split. 

However, a track I discovered the long way around so to speak is Cosmic Dancer - T-Rex, I saw Nick Cave perform his version in Liverpool a couple of years ago and initially thought it was his own. I can't believe this track had passed me by for so many years. 

Here are both versions for you....

I danced right out the womb..... 

The T Rex original of Cosmic Dancer I've had for years, but that Nick Cave cover is fantastically haunting, thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

The Jam double album, "About The Young Idea".

Singles, B Sides, album tracks.

A thing of beauty.

Thank you Mr Weller.

Seeing The Jam at the Locarno when I was 15 remains one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. So much respect to Weller for never reforming the band though. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

The T Rex original of Cosmic Dancer I've had for years, but that Nick Cave cover is fantastically haunting, thanks for sharing.

Seeing The Jam at the Locarno when I was 15 remains one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. So much respect to Weller for never reforming the band though. 

Saw him interviewed long after he split the Jam up - said he wanted to explore different types of music and to do that had to dissolve the band. 

The other two weren’t involved in anything creative, Weller was doing it all. He went off to form the Style Council. A very talented but intense guy.

My favourite Jam song is “going underground”  

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Depends how you quantify "old"..........I still think of bands like Radiohead and REM as "one of these new bands " !   ?      But that's what you get when you've enjoyed and listened to music from the early 50's to now .

Just about to come on this thread to say the same thing Slarti. Pablo Honey was 30 years ago, but I'll bet a lot of teenagers know and enjoy Creep. 

Losing My Religion (1991) is a staple of a lot of commercial radio stations, but sounds so contemporary.

I was going to say that I have whole albums by Talking Heads and Steely Dan (70's/80's) that I listen to regularly on my playlist. The title track to The Royal Scam is my 2nd favourite track of all time, behind Knocked Up by the Kings of Leon (2007).

I always think it's strange that the idea of going back nearly 50 years to listen to music in the 1970's was unthinkable and you would struggle to find anything from the 20s that was anything but a novelty, yet we happily do that now.

Steely Dan's masterpiece by the way....

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Just about to come on this thread to say the same thing Slarti. Pablo Honey was 30 years ago, but I'll bet a lot of teenagers know and enjoy Creep. 

Losing My Religion (1991) is a staple of a lot of commercial radio stations, but sounds so contemporary.

I was going to say that I have whole albums by Talking Heads and Steely Dan (70's/80's) that I listen to regularly on my playlist. The title track to The Royal Scam is my 2nd favourite track of all time, behind Knocked Up by the Kings of Leon (2007).

I always think it's strange that the idea of going back nearly 50 years to listen to music in the 1970's was unthinkable and you would struggle to find anything from the 20s that was anything but a novelty, yet we happily do that now.

Steely Dan's masterpiece by the way....

Funny isn't it, I go through phases of listening (reacquainting myself with)to certain bands .I'm now in my SD period !  What a band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Funny isn't it, I go through phases of listening (reacquainting myself with)to certain bands .I'm now in my SD period !  What a band.

Yes I went through all my 10cc (original line up) catalogue on vinyl last year, when someone gave me a lovely Technics turntable, some great tracks and amazing production for the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I went through all my 10cc (original line up) catalogue on vinyl last year, when someone gave me a lovely Technics turntable, some great tracks and amazing production for the time.

Love 10cc (Godley & Creme version) my favourite being How Dare You.

Damn, coulda put title track in the" fav instrumental" thread !:grr:

• Like 3

Just got some new/old music. 
I don't do Record Store Day, I refuse to queue for hours. A mate went down to Rough Trade early and there were hundreds there before him. I walked past on the way to meet mates for football. 12:30 and the queue stretched around the corner and down to the main road. I waited until the left overs went online Monday and managed to get what I wanted.

Rich Kids 1978 album, that I didn't realise they'd done at the time. The 2 singles still sound brilliant. Rich Kids and Ghosts of Princes in Towers. 
Great stuff from (Post Pistols) Glen Matlock and (Pre Ultravox) Midge Ure .

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 20:17, City Rocker said:

On 27/04/2023 at 20:17, City Rocker said:

You must be a bit older than me as I was 14 when I first saw The Jam and loved them ever since best band in the world. 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 23:43, slartibartfast said:

Depends how you quantify "old"..........I still think of bands like Radiohead and REM as "one of these new bands " !   ?      But that's what you get when you've enjoyed and listened to music from the early 50's to now .

I've always tried to compare my parents' music to mine and like you I can't  get over the changes that must have evolved in the 50s/60s. My kids' music tastes have become quite eclectic and they range from ours in the 60s/70s to present day. I could never have included my parents' choices from 30s/40s/50s! Joe Loss and Victor Sylvestor were never my thing! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw Shonen Knife last week in Cardiff. I'd never heard of them and just went to see the support. Anyway, Shonen Knife are a Japanese punk band who've been going 42 years and were Kurt Cobain's favourite band. I'm currently devouring their back catalogue. They play their own music in a Ramones style - fast with fuzzy guitars. Excellent!!

Bit of a new convert to Jazz, never got it before and still don't get free form stuff. Just got Almost Blue by Miles Davis to go with fairly recent stuff by Mose Allison and Art Blakey. A newer album by Merton Parkas & Style Councillor Mick Talbot and Chris Bangs is great too.
At the other end, got "Casual sex at the Cineplex" by Sultans of Ping.

11 hours ago, The Saturday Boy said:

I saw Shonen Knife last week in Cardiff. I'd never heard of them and just went to see the support. Anyway, Shonen Knife are a Japanese punk band who've been going 42 years and were Kurt Cobain's favourite band. I'm currently devouring their back catalogue. They play their own music in a Ramones style - fast with fuzzy guitars. Excellent!!

I've only ever watched the youtube stuff or listened on Spotify , meant to see them a few times over the years and not made it, my mate's a fan. I heard they were good live.

• Like 2

I've been revisiting the first records I bought, as an 8 year-old, and the first band I ever loved - The Sweet.

What a criminally underrated hard rock band they were! Incredible four-part harmonies and insanely good players, not least the drummer Mick Tucker, who for me is up there with Bonham and Moon.

The Six Teens, showcases their all-round brilliance and should go down as a classic.

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 4