IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

34 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I've been revisiting the first records I bought, as an 8 year-old, and the first band I ever loved - The Sweet.

What a criminally underrated hard rock band they were! Incredible four-part harmonies insanely good players, not least the drummer Mick Tucker, who for me is up there with Bonham and Moon.

The Six Teens, showcases their all-round brilliance and should go down as a classic.

Great track & really good band (we'll ignore Wigwam bam & Little Willy , even though I bought them at the time :laughcont: ) . Always seemed to be peoples 2nd band, my favs were Slade and a mate's T.Rex , they never really challenged those two even if they may have deserved it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I've been revisiting the first records I bought, as an 8 year-old, and the first band I ever loved - The Sweet.

What a criminally underrated hard rock band they were! Incredible four-part harmonies and insanely good players, not least the drummer Mick Tucker, who for me is up there with Bonham and Moon.

The Six Teens, showcases their all-round brilliance and should go down as a classic.

I liked The Six Teens, it was the one of the last hits they had that was written by Nicky Chinn and Mark Chapman along with Teenage Rampage, but it always felt like the band had a lot more input into the way it sounded than the previous tracks.

They always had the B sides as their own work though, Burning and Rock and Roll Disgrace are superb tracks.

As you may have gathered, they were "my band" I liked Slade, but I never bought anything by them, I bought everything that Sweet brought out and I still have much of it now.

• Like 3

On 21/04/2023 at 21:09, City Rocker said:

Much as I genuinely enjoy discovering new music, let's be honest, the old songs beat the shit out of the new ones, don't they? Which forgotten classics from yesteryear have you rediscovered, perhaps on a late night trawl through YouTube? 

Here are two incredible tracks from my youth that I've had on my playlist recently. 

No More Ghettos In America by Stanley Winston. 

Absolute goosebumps every time I hear this. I honestly think it might be the best thing I've ever heard. "That was so good I thought my jaw was going to lock." So said John Peel the first time he played me this sublime tune. Little is known about Mr Winston, apart from that he had a voice that could make grown men cry.

Oh Lori by Alessi Brothers. 

In the most exciting summer in the history of music, just as the 12 year old me was discovering the seismic Sex Pistols, the Stranglers and the Jam, who would collectively change the world forever, this fantastic song by twins Bobby and Billy Alessi was also on Top of the Pops. I absolutely loved this at time, but it was deeply uncool and I never declared my love to another human being. Until now. I could listen to this endlessly now that stupid music snobbery is no longer a thing in my life. 

Most of the music I listen to is older stuff anyway, but been listening to this a lot lately. Reminds me of my mum (rip)

But this is definitely a go to old favourite. Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Pay close attention to Keith, that’s a top rock and roll drumming performance. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, glynriley said:

Most of the music I listen to is older stuff anyway, but been listening to this a lot lately. Reminds me of my mum (rip)

But this is definitely a go to old favourite. Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Pay close attention to Keith, that’s a top rock and roll drumming performance. 

How could you miss Keith? :) The real person that Animal from the Muppets was based on surely?

I read somewhere once that Keith had his drum kit set up to deliberately create those eye-catching "cross shots", I think it was Ginger Baker who said that no sane drummer would arrange their kit so they crossed hands so often. :)

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

How could you miss Keith? :) The real person that Animal from the Muppets was based on surely?

I read somewhere once that Keith had his drum kit set up to deliberately create those eye-catching "cross shots", I think it was Ginger Baker who said that no sane drummer would arrange their kit so they crossed hands so often. :)

Ginger Baker is another that Animal is said to be based on, along with John Bonham. Don't think anyone knows for sure, but Moon is as good a shout as any, absolute legend. The Who were never the same after he died.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Currently listening to that easy going album ‘Never mind the Bollocks’ here’s the Sex Pistols . Epic from 1977 …:yawn:

Still sounds surprisingly good after all these years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Currently listening to that easy going album ‘Never mind the Bollocks’ here’s the Sex Pistols . Epic from 1977 …:yawn:

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Still sounds surprisingly good after all these years.

Quite simply, one of the best records ever made. It changed the world forever. 

• Like 2

On 09/05/2023 at 08:10, glynriley said:

My old man introduced me to The ‘Orrible ‘Oo at a young age. He played in a band but weirdly didn’t have a huge record collection - but what he did have was absolute quality from when he was a young ‘un…The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, Neil Young, CSN, Joni, Jon Mayall’s Blues Breakers, Gram Parsons,  Surfs Up era Beach Boys.….. 
I was obsessed by The Who after he introduced me and have happy memories listening to ‘Who’s Next’ very loudly with him whenever the wicked step mother was out, but latterly I went off them quite a bit - mostly because of Daltrey’s avid Brexit stance (I know!).  Anyway, I’ve got over myself and started listening to them again recently and ‘A Quick One’ is always my go to track. A round about way of saying great pick - it’s absolute genius! 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

My old man introduced me to The ‘Orrible ‘Oo at a young age. He played in a band but weirdly didn’t have a huge record collection - but what he did have was absolute quality from when he was a young ‘un…The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, Neil Young, CSN, Jonie, Kate Bush, Gram Parsons,  Surfs Up era Beach Boys.….. 
I was obsessed by The Who after he introduced me and have happy memories listening to ‘Who’s Next’ very loudly with him whenever the wicked step mother was out, but latterly I went off them quite a bit - mostly because of Daltrey’s avid Brexit stance (I know!).  Anyway, I’ve got over myself and started listening to them again recently and ‘A Quick One’ is always my go to track. A round about way of saying great pick - it’s absolute genius! 

Who’s Next is absolutely superb. Not wanting to turn this into a Who appreciation thread, but this is an absolute beauty…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Who’s Next is absolutely superb. Not wanting to turn this into a Who appreciation thread, but this is an absolute beauty…

The whole album from start to finish is genius.   No other word for it.   Townsend’s use of early synths on it is revolutionary for a ‘rock’ album.  The time he had to spend programming to get the sound is incredible.  Put his guitar with that along with The Ox’s playing and Daltrey’s voice and it’s difficult to think of a whole guitar album from that era that’s better for me.  They got the ‘dad rock’ tag later on but that record is way ahead of its time.  

• Like 1

Old, but new to me. Started looking into Corduroy after going to an Acid Jazz exhibition last weekend. Really like their Jazz stuff, but then they branch out and shake it up. Love this cover of Motorhead and love he fact I enjoy both versions. 

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Old, but new to me. Started looking into Corduroy after going to an Acid Jazz exhibition last weekend. Really like their Jazz stuff, but then they branch out and shake it up. Love this cover of Motorhead and love he fact I enjoy both versions. 

That is absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Richie Sambora - Undiscovered Love.

Bought it a couple of years back while under the influence of something and played maybe twice.

Dragged it out again the other day and it is brilliant.

Wendy Matthew's is another along with Paula Cole.

On 09/05/2023 at 15:21, glynriley said:

Ginger Baker is another that Animal is said to be based on, along with John Bonham. Don't think anyone knows for sure, but Moon is as good a shout as any, absolute legend. The Who were never the same after he died.

Saw Ginger Baker play with Hawkwind in Bristol prob around 1981 (?)

talking of which, and as per the thread, i dusted off my copy of 'in search of space' last weekend (with full gatefold sleeve) thats a cracker

13 minutes ago, Antman said:

Saw Ginger Baker play with Hawkwind in Bristol prob around 1981 (?)

talking of which, and as per the thread, i dusted off my copy of 'in search of space' last weekend (with full gatefold sleeve) thats a cracker

My old man had that album, probably still has. Another often heard album in our house when I was growing up, although apart from Master Of The Universe I don’t remember too much of it. 

• Like 1

Can't beat a bit of melodic hard rock.

Just having a phase listening to the British band Thunder from the 90s and on.

Riff after riff, solo after solo, tune after tune. Luke Morely, left-handed lead guitar hero / songwriter naturale.

And all with the superb vocals of the amazing Danny Bowes.

Surely one the UK's greatest ever rock vocalists.

Totally underrated band,  except by those in the know.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 18:58, Slippin cider said:

did that and moved on to the swindle.. that led to tenpole tudor and now im collecting tudor pole cds. the tenpole tudor vikings with 2  female lead singing vocalists are probably as  good as the original band

• Like 1

On 01/06/2023 at 22:20, AppyDAZE said:

Another band under the radar

IT BITES from the 80s

No one hit wonder pop band in reality.

Great, skilled musicians and amazing live, in their day.

If you love music, if you love proper playing, if you are open to anything, I would check them out.

Great stuff.

My young self in the 80s, obsessed with the Jam, Bunnymen and Smiths and all things cool, would have despised this 'w nkery'. Yet as you mature you realise there's way too much amazing music in the world to get hung up on genres and factions and what's cool.

(Although fair to say I'm still obsessed with The Jam, The Bunnymen and The Smiths!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Great stuff.

My young self in the 80s, obsessed with the Jam, Bunnymen and Smiths and all things cool, would have despised this 'w nkery'. Yet as you mature you realise there's way too much amazing music in the world to get hung up on genres and factions and what's cool.

(Although fair to say I'm still obsessed with The Jam, The Bunnymen and The Smiths!)

So true.

Going to see Weller at Westonbirt on Thursday btw