IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

15 hours ago, PunkRockDad said:

Saw Hard-Fi in Liverpool last night and they were excellent - A band I never thought I'd see again. Last saw them at The Cooler, Bristol around 2010 / 2011. 

Excellent band, Hard-Fi, and a good bunch of lads. In about 2004, I and a band I was in at the time played with them at a joint music industry showcase at the Camden Barfly, one of those 'next big thing' events.

And hey, guess what? Hard-Fi became the next big thing! And we.....didn't ☹️

• Like 2

18 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Excellent band, Hard-Fi, and a good bunch of lads. In about 2004, I and a band I was in at the time played with them at a joint music industry showcase at the Camden Barfly, one of those 'next big thing' events.

That's brilliant - What a story to be able to tell!! 🤠

They're playing Bristol tonight. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, City Rocker said:

That's a shame, well who knows, you may never had the time to contribute so effectively to this forum. :)

Talking of next big things I remember Bristol band Essential Bop being interviewed by Paul Morley with him calling them next year's (1980?) band to watch. I think it was bands like ABC, Wah! and Heaven 17 that were also mentioned.

Anyone else have a copy of this album? Chronicle by Essential Bop is excellent and My Dead Mother was also written by Steve Bush from the band. 

I saw them live somewhere, can't remember the venue, but I remember being literally right in front of Steve's microphone and they covered "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" The Byrd's, brilliantly.

IMG_20231015_103756.jpg

IMG_20231015_104319.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a shame, well who knows, you may never had the time to contribute so effectively to this forum. :)

Talking of next big things I remember Bristol band Essential Bop being interviewed by Paul Morley with him calling them next year's (1980?) band to watch. I think it was bands like ABC, Wah! and Heaven 17 that were also mentioned.

Anyone else have a copy of this album? Chronicle by Essential Bop is excellent and My Dead Mother was also written by Steve Bush from the band. 

I saw them live somewhere, can't remember the venue, but I remember being literally right in front of Steve's microphone and they covered "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" The Byrd's, brilliantly.

IMG_20231015_103756.jpg

IMG_20231015_104319.jpg

Yes I still have my vinyl copy of Avon Calling, it came with a free poster that adorned my teenage bedroom for a while. Some really good tracks on that record.

Pretty sure I saw Essential Bop and some of the others at the Bristol Bridge Inn and/or the Stonehouse. 

If I recall correctly, I think the singer of My Dead Mother was, bizarrely, the daughter of Alan Dicks! Or did I dream that?! 🫨

• Like 1

For anyone interested, there's a really good website about the Bristol music scene. You can spend ages on it. Lists all the bands from the late 70s onwards and gigs etc. 

I used to frequent to Fleece at least once a week back in the 80s. A great scene back then and some fine acts played. 

A friend of mine at the time who I've lost touch with Mike Darby, used to produce a lot of the music at the time. 

Fear of Darkness and Love Jungle come to mind. His bro played for them. 

Enjoy searching ...

http://bristolarchiverecords.com/bands/Fear_Of_Darkness.html

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2023 at 12:04, Port Said Red said:

IMG_20231015_103756.jpg

IMG_20231015_104319.jpg

Stereo Models: featuring Russell Thomas from Portishead.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 18:35, City Rocker said:

Yes I still have my vinyl copy of Avon Calling, it came with a free poster that adorned my teenage bedroom for a while. Some really good tracks on that record.

Pretty sure I saw Essential Bop and some of the others at the Bristol Bridge Inn and/or the Stonehouse. 

If I recall correctly, I think the singer of My Dead Mother was, bizarrely, the daughter of Alan Dicks! Or did I dream that?! 🫨

This one? 

I was expecting you to say you are on it somewhere. :)

IMG_20231019_143434.thumb.jpg.ea2db3f165633394b41f326f6c60e3ec.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2023 at 14:36, Port Said Red said:

This one? 

I was expecting you to say you are on it somewhere. :)

IMG_20231019_143434.thumb.jpg.ea2db3f165633394b41f326f6c60e3ec.jpg

Yeah that's the one, thanks, I haven't seen it for about 40-odd years! 

I was only 14 when the record was released, but there are one or two people on there I've met over the years since. Not least the Blue Aeroplanes legendary front man Gerard Langley, who is credited for quite a few of the photos on the poster.

And there we are, 'Melanie Dicks' vocals on 'My Dead Mother' by Double Vision - Alan Dicks' daughter, I believe. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

More than 40 years ago?? 

Give ******* over

Another album I have a lot of room for.

Pop. Prog, Heavy, Punk, New Wave, post this, post that... I love it all

It's music and it's great music.

So frightfully camp it made you laugh, tomorrow I'll buy myself a dress...

One of my favourite albums when I was 16, I haven't listened to this for years; still love those nursery rhyme melodies and jangly guitar hooks. More DIY/garageland than The Clash. 

Very underrated and influential, Orange Juice were. 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2023 at 10:40, AppyDAZE said:

45 minutes of quality from start to finish.

Just umming and arring if I should buy Steve Hackett's live version in 5.1 (Bluray). All the other Genesis revisited versions are great. Firth of Forth is still incredible (ok different album).

If you listen to his latest version (Seconds Out Revisited) and then check out YouTube footage of Genesis's last ever gig(s), you'd think you were watching a B rated tribute band. Boy, can Steve H still play the guitar!

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2023 at 16:50, slartibartfast said:

Or...... The Mayor Of Simpleton (SL)

BTW  Dave Mattacks on drums ?

Yep. He was on the whole album (Nonsuch) produced by Elton John's old producer.

XTC is my Bristol City music wise. Bought all their albums, singles and more. Travelled to see them outside of Bristol and like the City, never made it to the Premier League of venues and TV.

I could give more similarities but I'd end up being 'Disappointed.' 

What a track this is and if Andy is reading this...the reason it was never a massive hit was because of the drum rhythm Dave had to play (listen to the demo version by Andy. It's the same). At the end, Dave plays the standard rhythm most drummers would play. The song suddenly comes alive. You want to dance to it.  Just like City, so much promise but....and I'm annoyed!

XTC and Bristol City. That's me!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1